Ugggh, what did i do?!

i went to dinner at a friends house and she made shepherds pie, but with cauliflower instead of potato. the rest is gravy, onions, mincemeat. minimal carbs for me. so i was 70 before i left my house so i had about 12 grams of carbs (apple) to walk over the 30 mins to hers.

i get there at an even 100, we eat, have two glasses of wine. i dont shoot up, am kind of still honeymooning and i know im walking home. a unit would make me crash.

then she puts out these german gingerbread cookies and i eat two. and two more and two more again. it was really good while it was happening. and then b4 i left i check my bg and its 242. and im feeling thirsty and very irresponsible. so i put in a unit and start walking the 30 mins home. i get home, im pretty hot, take bg and now im at 73. only an hour has passed since i put in the one unit. i dont want to eat anything else (ate 1/2 glucose tab) cuz im afraid fat will make it go up agai later.

suggestions?

Next time if you have similar experience and you know you're walking home, don't take anything and test when you get home and then make correction if needed.

yeah, thought o doing that but saw the number and thought, omg! omg! neext time ill do that.
will stay up a wee bit longer and see what happens. this is the first time ive done somehing like this, but i guess it was time to fall off the wagon, it being xmas and all... :/

Considering being a newbie you did well. You'll have many more times and more decisions to make and all of them won't be perfect. Remember as long as you live with this disease you'll will make good and bad decisions, just don't kick yourself too hard when you don't agree with some of your decisions.:)

thanks betty. woke up to a sweet 93. uggh, stuuuuuupid move! when everyone was just sitting there chowing down on teh biscuits i dont know what came over me. diabetes just disappeared off my radar for abut 20 minutes.

You might want to do a little figuring so you're ready for various situations. I don't advise eating the gingerbread cookies, but if you do it you need to have some idea of how much to bolus. Do you know how to carb count? Do you know your I:C ratio for various times a day? Then when you ended up high you said "I put in a unit" which sounds a tad haphazard. Do you know your ISF? (How much one unit lowers your blood sugar) I know it sounds complicated, but once you get those things in mind you will be better prepared for various situations! If you don't have the book, Using Insulin by John Walsh, I highly recommend it, but ultimately figuring out these dose numbers is more a matter of trial and error. For example, write down that you were 242, you took one unit and within an hour you were down to 73. If you can figure out how much you were at 2-3 hours you will know how much the unit lowered your blood sugar. Then the next time you do it write it down again, eventually you will zero in on your ISF. Oh yeah, and you have to figure out how exercise plays into the equation. That I can't help you with!

Oh yeah and in the early days of when I quit sugar when people would be eating some luscious looking desert, I would have cheese or an espresso drink, something I could enjoy. Now eighteen years off sugar it doesn't even phase me.

zoe, my isf is about 100, so at 242 i thought that would lower me to 140 and then the walk would lowerme another 40, to be at 100, a perfect bedtime number.
maybe exercising right after shooting up makes the insulin get used faster? i know how to exercise with just my regular bolus but this correction seems to have worked way too fast. i usually dont exercise until at least 2 hours after a bolus. my isf has been about 100 for the last year at all times of the day, but ive never exercised AND corrected before.
i personally cannot give up sweet things. all/most of my insulin is saved for yoghurt, fruit and dark chocolate.bread, rice, potato-i dont even blink at them, turn up my nose at them in fact. but cherries? strawberries? cheesecake? i just cant do it!!
thanks!
m

That would make sense that the exercise would speed up the insulin absorption.

As for giving up sweet things - you would be surprised what you can do if you really want to, we humans are really adaptable creatures! But of course you have to want to! If that kind of high is rare, and you usually bolus successfully for what you eat, you probably aren't very motivated to change your diet. But if you gain weight and/or start to develop insulin resistance, or have huge blood sugar swings then that's a different story! We're all different!

really at times like last night i wish i was a robot and never had to eat anything again! definitely dont want to give up sweet things. they are the highlight of my diet. my tastes have definitely become more refined, tho. i have no desire for any kind of hostess cupcake anything. when i indulge, its gonna be something bordering on orgasmic, taste bud wise, fresh pineapple, chirimoya, bananas, really high quality dark chocolate...
my diet has changed loads since my D diagnosis. its way healthier without all of those starches and with massive spinach salads and homemade soups. i have never eaten healthier. i am secretly smug and feel completely virtuous about it when all my friends are eating absolute crap.

Yep, good point and one of the saving graces of D: Most of us are way healthier than our peers!

I was actually deeply insulted when I realized fruit was high carb! After I gave up sugar, fruit began to taste so sweet and wonderful to me. But I find I can still eat it, only in limited amounts and some fruits easier than others. I love fruit!

i know, the fruit thing kills me, especially in the summer! last summer i would just eat a big bowl of cherries or strawberries for dinner till i was ready to bust. now its 10 measly grams.

Um mm I could never pass up the gingerbread , every year at this time they have the big star shaped chocolate gingerbread spice cake cookies dipped in sweet dark chocolate at the local neighborhood bakery in the small village where my daughter lives.

chocolate plus gingerbread=heaven!