I caved

I was doing so good. Eating low carb, avoiding sugary treats, exercising like a fiend. I worked today and everyone was eating cookies. But I kept the treats away. When I got home from work (I work 12 hr shifts as a nurse), My family was eating macaroni and cheese. I caved. Then on top of that I ate a s’more . My bs 1 hr after was 158. I feel terrible:(

I caved on Sunday. I was buying fresh vegetables at a farm stall and she was selling home made florentines, so I bought one, just one. I ate it, delicious. Then I compounded my error by eating a sandwich for lunch, oh boy was I high and did I suffer until I walked and got my bgs down to normal. My bgs 1.5 hours after was 15.1 and I ask myself was it worth it, yes it was, totally. I had been good for so long this has killed my craving for something sweet. Hugs, Maureen, who also caved.....

So you aren't perfect. Sometimes life knocks you down to the floor. You just get back up on your feet and go right back to doing what you know you should do. This is a marathon and one little incident is only an issue if it becomes routine. What really matters is what you consistently do.

ps. And a 158 mg/dl 1 hour after any meal is still pretty darn good.

Itis the holiday season. I went to my church party,I ate no bread,less carb. Vegetables. I knew I wanted the brownie , skipped the ice cream. I had lots of fun,enjoyed my evening. Won’t happen again until next year. I have issues with feeling not one of the bunch in this kind of social situations. That is the only party I go to! it works put for me. I look at it as a balance act 98% of the time I eat well.Nancy

158 isn't too bad for a wild detour into mac&cheese and a s'more. I have seen lots of posts saying "I can't eat ______" however I have had many decent BG with all sorts of allegedly horrible things. I've also had many whacky BG with purportedly decent things. I guess I just have a lot of BG. My overall score does ok but getting out of whack is how you can find things that might need to change a bit. To me it would make sense to allow T2 and, like you, people with prediabetes indicators, "topical" insulin to cover occasional, civilized (ha) dietary excursions. It would perhaps be easier on one's system and remove the feelings of "good and evil" associated with various diabetes spectrum issues. "Beyond Good and Evil" can be a useful perspective!

Sorry we all feel defeated from time to time. A 158mg/dL... not to bad..;-)

My first BG this morning was 239...

No cookies, no bread, no fun, just bead, had a low,....Oh dread,

Yep the Betes is a real pain....It's always good, the bad, and the ugly, in no particular order...;-)

Have a Happy, Happy, Happy, Holiday

It's all perspective. If I had a 158 after a treat, I would feel like I got away with it! I'm eating a carb restricted diet and found when I indulge in a carby treat, my appetite for carbs increases. When I'm considering falling off the wagon and grabbing a treat, I now think about the increased appetite hangover, too. Sometimes that's just enough for me to forgo the temptation.

A person does have to have a treat sometimes. Social situations seem the hardest to resist. It seems there's a tacit permission wafting around the room mingled with the food aroma. I agree with Brian, it's what you do the most of the time that counts. I trust that you thoroughly enjoyed the s'more!

We all have our moments of weakness. As long as its not an all the time thing don't stress about it. Honestly, if I had 158 after splurging I would think that was great. After low carb I'm generally 140-160 and that is with my pile of drugs and lots of exercise.

I've read some interesting theories about willpower, and I think they apply to your situation. The theory is that we have a limited amount of willpower, similar to a bank account. When we make withdrawals from our willpower account during the day, we may eventually get to a zero balance - and that's when we make a less healthy choice. When we say that we don't have enough willpower, in a way we're right if we've used up all of our willpower for the day. The good news is that we can replenish our willpower account. Sleep and rest are the best way to replenish willpower, which is great for early morning choices and also helps explain why we often lack willpower later in the day when we're tired. Other ways to replenish willpower are to do something fun or relaxing, and to get positive feedback from yourself or others. Has anyone ever thought about willpower in these terms?

I probably would have been happy with a 158 even after counting the carbs, calculating my insulin, injecting it, then waiting 25 minutes to eat the cookie. That’s why I don’t eat junk food, not just because its unmanageable with diabetes and just generally bad for anyone, but when you are setting aside 30 minutes of your life to prep for everything you eat-- you become much more selective about what foods are making the cut to make that time investment for

Gail
Watching your diet is great, but you also need treats. I also eat something like low carb, but i often just need some sugar, or ill go out with friends.
Having bgs that are not perfect afterwards is normal. dont make D your biggest thing in life, there needs to be a healthy balance between having good bgs and enjoying your life to the fullest! after all, you only have one!!
So please take it easy, an average bg of 158 is still an a1c of 6.6, which is darn good in my opinion!!! :)

Thanks for the insight everyone. I gues I’m just feeling alone and mad because my pancreas is not functioning normally. This sucks. I know I’m preaching to the choir here.

Today is another day. I had a good breakfast and plan on exercising.

Last Christmas I received a book called "Will Power", and there was a piece in it that REALLY spoke to me, as a person with diabetes. It said that studies of will power indicate that one can get "will power fatigue". Just like a muscle, the more you use it on any one day, the more tired it gets. I think anyone trying to control their diet uses will power constantly (especially this time of year), which means that sometimes that muscle will give out and need a rest. You've been flexing your will power a lot, and it got a hard workout at work with the cookies, and when you got home and needed it even more it was just too tired to keep working. Not your fault! And there's no harm done, other than that you felt rotten for a while.

Once rested, it will come back even stronger! Just like a muscle :)

Will Power: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength

Roy F. Baumeister (Author), John Tierney (Author)
4.3 out of 5 stars See all reviews (172 customer reviews)

I really like that explanation for willpower. It makes perfect sense. I know the vast majority of my snacking and indiscriminate carb choices are made late in the day after I have gotten to a zero balance. Sometimes though it isn't sleep and rest that seem to replenish the account, it is some intense exercise like a racquetball match or a long swim. But maybe that is just me ?

Exercise can definitely add to our willpower account! It's a good stress reducer, is fun, and gives us a feeling that we can accomplish a lot. There's also research that shows that people who exercise routinely make healthier food choices.

Thanks for sharing this book Emily. I really like the comparison of willpower to a muscle. That tells me that I can increase my willpower by exercising it, and also that I need a break every now and then to make long-term gains.

Ok, 158 is not bad at all after all that! I would be much higher if I ate that even with insulin probably,lol. I would ask your family to go lower carb and not eat that food in front of you, just my opinion. It makes life a lot easier and more pleasant. I purposely avoid situations where I have to watch people stuffing themselves full of things I can't eat. I am slowly finding lo carb alternatives for things I like to eat: almond & hazelnut flour pancakes- I can have some jam &some berries with them. I tried shitake with tomato sauce and parmesan cheese the other night instead of pasta but the texture was awful- apparently you can't overheat them or use tomato sauce as that ruins them but hopefully I will find another substitute or figure out how to get them right soon. We all make mistakes: yesterday I forgot to take my afternoon basal and forgot to take my insulin back to work again! I thought I was low while I was there, couldn't test and took 6g candy but I only ended up at 170 fortunately.