Undiagnosed 9 Year Old

Hello! I just wondered if anybody could maybe offer some insight into my son’s blood sugar readings.
He is 9 and had a Glucose Tolerance Test a couple of weeks ago due to constant thirst and peeing and a fasting blood sugar one morning of 125.
The day of his test his fasting was 90. 30 minute reading was 80, 1 hr was 82, 2 hr was 84. Our PCP was not concerned with the results and said that the glucose tolerance test is a test that is only needed once in his life and since he “passed” it we do not need to be concerned. I questioned the dropping in blood sugar after the glucose and he said as long as it doesn’t go too high or too low we are not going to worry about it anymore.
My son has been being seen by a GI Dr due to recurrent stomach pain and so she also received the test results. The GI Dr. requested an appointment with the pediatric Endocrinologist and we were asked to take one blood sugar reading each day until that appointment (Sept 5) just so the Dr. will have more information at that time.
We have a glucometer at home because My husband was diagnosed with diabetes after ending up in ICU a year and a half ago with DKA. The Dr. at the hospital told him he was most likely type 1, due to the DKA, but he has never had any tests to confirm and his doctor told him after discharge he was too old for type 1 and he is type 2.
So I have been taking Colin’s blood sugar daily for a little over 2 weeks now.
We have found his morning (fasting) reading to typically be around 108-120
His before meal readings are typically 120-130
1 hour after meals he is typically 100-115
2 hours after meals he is typically 130-150
3 hours after meals he is typically 140-170
The highest I have seen is 190 (3 hours after dinner), the lowest 100(1 hour after lunch).

So I guess 2 questions:

1. any idea what might be causing the blood sugar to lower after eating, but be so much higher at the 3 hour point? And is this something you would be concerned about?
  2. What should we expect at the upcoming endo apointment? We were told to expect to be there 3-4 hours!

Thank You!

He should get a better doctor for his diabetes. There are many T1’s that are diagnosed in later years. Often identified as “LADA”, but a form of T1.

2 Likes

Since he was tested for GI issues, there may be delay in his digestion, and thus higher BG 2-3 hours later. Also depends on food choices, carbs, fats, proteins will digest at different rates.
Hopefully the endo will consider antibody testing. Since your son has normal fasting, given time, he produces insulin to bring down after meal BGs. Typically there is gradual decrease or inconsistent insulin production in early stages.

It’s great you were referred to endo, some are told to just wait and see.

1 Like

It sounds like you got some good advice regarding your son (your husband not so much “too old” pffft). Just keep a close eye on him until your endo appointment and if his BG’s go over 200 then I personally would bring him to the emergency room. His body certainly seems to still be making insulin if it is diabetes.

If you are going to be at the endos for 3-4 hours then I would think they are going to try to run a bunch of tests to check for antibodies or other things that could be causing his symptoms. Good luck! I hope your son doesn’t have diabetes but if he does then you have caught it very early before he is in danger or would require a lengthy hospital stay.

2 Likes

I have just recently told him the same thing!

The majority of new Dx’s of T1 are adults!