My daughter showing signs of type 1?

Need some advice please. I was diagnosed with type 1 in 2020 at the age of 34. My 11 year-old daughter has celiac so we keep our home completely gluten free and we very rarely eat out at restaurants for this reason. Recently over the past few weeks, she has been experiencing stomach aches (more than normal), head aches and nausea. I took her blood glucose (non-fasting) the other day and it was 140 mg/dl about one hour after eating. The following morning I took her fasting glucose and it was 107 mg/dl. One of my biggest concerns is my daughter also developing type 1. Do you think I should be worried based on these readings, or am I just being a paranoid father? My goal, if she is beginning the type 1 journey, is to avoid DKA as a diagnosis. Thanks for your thoughts

Non-diabetic children have slightly higher fasting and postprandial BG. Iirc it has to do with human growth hormone and the energy needed for growth.

I can understand your concern, because you are seeing through the eyes of a diabetic.

As to the stomach aches, headaches and nausea, those may be from a medical cause other than diabetes. Take your concerns to her pediatrician. It may be nothing to worry about, or may be it is.

Good luck to you and yours.

When I was diagnosed, the doctor gave me lots of sugar water to drink and then measured my BG an hour later and two hours later. This is an experiment that you can do at home.

Here’s a short study you may want to review.

I think it’s unusual for a non-diabetic to wake up with a blood sugar > 99 mg/dL. But I’m not a doctor and the data you supply is limited. I think you’re right to be suspicious, especially with your daughter already living with Celiac, an autoimmune disease.

Unfortunately doctors often miss a T1D diagnosis. The penalty is the risk, as you’ve noted, of DKA. DKA is dangerous and avoiding it is a being benefit. Talk to her doctor about this.

S/he could order some blood antibody tests to confirm or deny your suspicion. Just be aware that there are several antibody tests and if the doctor only orders one, s/he could miss the evidence.

I don’t think you’re paranoid; you’re being a responsible dad.

Normal blood glucose levels ages 6 to 12
|Fasting|80-180|
|Before meal|90-180|
|1-2 hours after eating|Up to 140|
|Bedtime|100-180|

Kids aged 6 to 12 should have blood sugar levels that range between 80 to 180 mg/dL over the course of a day. Blood sugar levels go up after eating a meal because the body breaks down carbohydrates into glucose, which is then distributed throughout the bloodstream. To keep a child’s blood sugar from rising too much before bedtime, especially if they have diabetes, try limiting snacks before they go to sleep.

Normal blood glucose levels for teens 13-19
|Fasting|70-150|
|Before meal|90-130|
|1-2 hours after eating|Up to 140|
|Bedtime|90-150|

Teenagers should have average blood sugar levels that range between 70 to 150 mg/dL over the course of their day. Teenage years can often be the most difficult for adolescents with diabetes to manage because managing diabetes requires responsibility and behavior control that’s not typical for most teenagers. Teenagers should aim to keep their blood sugar levels between 70 to 150 mg/dL throughout the day by watching what they eat, exercising, and taking their diabetes medications if they have any.

Luis, I think you missed the introductory paragraph for the BG levels you quoted.

Blood sugar level charts for those with diabetes

Normal blood sugar levels, for those with diabetes, will vary depending on someone’s age and the time of day. Let’s take a look at what blood sugar levels should be, in those with diabetes, based on their age. [emphasis added]

It’s difficult to do a search on the subject of normal BG for children as one is steered to diabetic numbers. The following shows that fasting and bedtime BG can be higher for children than adults. Don’t bother clicking on the links for Yale as it is broken.

Normal Blood Sugar for Kids

The body gets most of its glucose by metabolizing the carbohydrates in food. Insulin, a hormone produced by the pancreas, helps move glucose out of the blood and into the cells, where it is used for energy, according to Kaiser Permanente. Through this process, insulin also lowers blood sugar. For people with diabetes, insulin function is impaired, leading to high blood sugar.

Glucose levels vary in both children and adults, depending on how long it has been since the last meal, drink or snack. According to Yale School of Medicine, a normal blood sugar for a child without diabetes should fall within the following ranges:

• Before breakfast (fasting blood sugar): 70 to 120 mg/dL
  • One to two hours after meals: Less than 140 mg/dL
  • Before meals and at bedtime: 70 to 120 mg/dL

Blood glucose levels can be checked during your child’s regular doctor appointment. If blood sugar levels are elevated, the doctor may order additional blood and/or urine tests to determine whether your child has diabetes.

​ Read more: ​ What Parents Should Know About Normal Blood Sugar Levels for Toddlers

1 Like

Thanks for all of your replies! I appreciate the advice. I’ll bring it up to her pediatrician just in case.

2 Likes

Chris, getting away from medical treatment and more into research:

Since you already have T1, you might want to enroll your daughter (or other children) in a study program that will monitor islet antibodies in your children. Some studies may only monitor antibodies, other studies might test various prevention possibilities in case antibodies are found.

Your endo might know about a study going on in your area presently, as these research programs often recruit parents with T1 through endo offices. If not, ResearchMatch might help you find one: https://researchmatch.org/

4 Likes