Veganism, 7th Day Adventists, Kellogg's cereal, dietitians and meat

Unfortunately money always wins, and I don’t see that changing in the near future.

I’d like to think that we, as a society, can grow wiser. Money is indeed a corrosive influence but I think giving up is exactly what these moneyed-interests want. We should never give up on reaching for better whether personally or for social institutions.

2 Likes

I dont know about veganism vs. Meat eaters. I fall somewhere between veganism and low carb and try to do a mid-carb, low meat way of eating, so I have no stake (or steak) in this game. However, I doubt the 7th day adventists have that much power. There are over a billion muslims and Jews in the world, but bacon still tops everything and I have to ask if things have pork in (I eat pork, but my husband doesn’t, and with a name like Becky, it’s not weird for me to ask). Even in Egypt, where 90 percent of the population is Muslim, the Christians still have access to pork. Unless the adventists have a lot more money, it seems unlikely to be them alone.

1 Like

At present there is, in Australia, a push by Vegans to take over the diets of all Australians. I think it was yesterday that there was a big peaceful rally outside Melbourne’s main train station. Very disruptive. Vegans have also closed down or caused hassles by demonstrating outside several cafes.

We all have a strong connection with our style of eating choice. Mix in a religion and a willingness to suspend critical thinking in deference to the larger religious goals and that creates a potent movement – one based more on religious faith than on dispassionate observance of scientific fact.

I share many attributes of the plant based way of eating. I don’t eat any processed grains and concentrate on whole foods, two facets of the plant-based whole foods movement. I’m wary, however, of a style of eating influenced more by religious faith than rational assessment and choices.

Most of the vegans I know are atheists, pushy atheists at that. I’m not so sure any one side has overwhelming scientific data because the waters are so muddied. That’s why I kept to the middle of the road because neither low carb nor vegans could convince me that they had all the answers.

Most of the vegans I know, and I know very few, are atheists or agnostics. We tend to be free thinkers who are concerned about our own health, animal rights and the environment. Some are nice and some are obnoxious.

2 Likes

I am a vegan, I am not an atheist, I know a lot of vegans and I don’t know one that’s an atheist or agnostic. I have been a vegetarian for over 50 years now and a vegan for over 30 years now.

Slowly the benefits of being a vegetarian came out over the years. Benefits for the body, the planet and the cruelty of the industry of raising meat to eat. Also across my table to read every month 15 plus magazines about research going on in supplements, nutrition and health. And one thing kept showing up consistently, the health of a vegetarian or vegan diet. The loaded powerhouse of nutrition that comes from a variety of colors of veggies and fruits, beans and grains. Not too many ever listed meat as a source of much of anything except what was bad about it. And if you think about it, the “normal” persons sugars stay in an appropriate range, but people have all sorts of health issues in that “normal” range. And to help your health they know that more fruits and veggies in a “normal” diet helps their health, a lot of research on that. So why wouldn’t that be the same with a controlled diabetics health too? And why does the majority of doctors, nutritionists etc think eating more fruits and veggies is better for you?

Sure things change, but there is no low carb long term research to show low carb is healthier, and in fact there’s short term research to show it’s not. There is a lot of research on the health of a vegan/vegetarian diet. You can always find a few doctors that will agree with anything out there, I know that from attending days of lectures where 15 doctors a day would get up to do a lecture.

Low carb is one of the ways that people use to help control blood sugar. And it does work. I don’t go about attacking it until someone seems to attack vegetarians or vegans. And low carbers seem to love trying to say theirs is the only way, the best way. If you want to eat low carb to control your blood sugar go ahead, controlling your blood sugar is important, but it’s not the only way nor necessarily the best way to do so, my vegan diet works too.

6 Likes

I couldn’t agree more Marie. I am spiritual but don’t consider myself to have one answer, so consider myself agnostic.
Just trying to get across the point that the vegans I know are not backed by some religion that is trying to change what people eat.

2 Likes

My town has an extremely high percentage of 7th day Adventists and as far as I can see dietary choices within the religion are on a case by case basis. Some are absolutely rabid about not eating any animal products and don’t want you to eat them either whereas others do eat some meat or are vegetarian and wouldn’t dream of trying to force anyone into eating a certain way.

I didn’t watch the video BTW but I seriously doubt that the Adventist community as a whole has the power to vastly influence national or worldwide dietary recommendations.

I’ve tried pretty much every diet you can think of to help control my bg’s including ones that claim to “cure” diabetes and IMO every diet will work in it’s own way whether plant based or low carb, it just takes adjustments in when and how/how much you administer your meds (If you take meds that is).

1 Like

These people are animal activists and well as vegans. I don’t think religion comes into it. They claim due to climate change we should all eat vegan because of the water and feed animals use. It is quite a potent mix!

2 Likes

7th Day Adventists are great! They make a religious meat loaf out of cereal that doesn’t have meat. I love it when they invite me for dinner. It is delicious beyond my wildest imaginations, but it destroys my blood sugar. I cant stop eating it once I start. I can post the recipe if anybody wants it, but its not for Terry. Its super high carb.

The Adventist rule, in general (as its been described to me), is that they don’t eat “bottom feeders,” so no lobster or other things that feed at the bottom of the sea. Also, no red meat. No pigs. I think pigs are considered “bottom feeders.” I dont totally understand, but I know from experience what they eat.

The Adventists are the founders of Little Debbie. Hostess cupcakes contain beef tallow (can’t eat). Little Debbie is clean (can eat).

I dont eat any creatures (except eggs) for the reason that I find them adorable. Have been a non-creature eating human for 30 years.

2 Likes

What are you doing up so early, @Terry4? Its like 5am where you are. You should be sleeping, not liking posts, LOL. I’m waiting for the hearing to start.

This is a common time for me to wake up. It’s my body’s idea, not mine! To accommodate this circadian vagary, I try to get in bed at 9:00 p.m. Sleep has been a challenge for me for the last six months.

I’ll look for the Senate hearing coverage, too. Tomorrow’s House hearing should be interesting as well.

Exciting times! I’ll be watching both.

Does the meatloaf have eggs? I would love the recipe if it doesn’t! I make one now that uses Lightlife Gimme Lean with 1 carrot, I stalk celery, 1/3 onion with tomatoe sauce on top and I love it! Always looking for vegan meatloaf recipes! Great for sandwiches too!

the licencing board came down hard on Dr. Gary Fettke because of his statements on cancer and diet and was the straw that broke. They thought he was playing outside of his lane. So they imposed a blanket ban on dietary advice.

They were actually wrong. In australia, low carb has been used mainstream. As an adjunct in the treatment of cancer with chemo and radiation. There are also other studies on low carb and cancer. it’s not used instead of conventional treatment but along with. Cancer cells love glucose and not that keen on ketones

It has eggs. Sorry. I’m not vegan. I would love your recipe, though!

1 Like

@mohe0001 I put the recipe on vegetarian/vegan recipes, which should show up as a recent post now? Can you put your meatloaf there too, I bet I can modify it and you made it sound so good! Thank You!

Sure I will. Can you provide the link? Never mind. I found it right away. :smiley:Vegetarian/ Vegan Recipes - #6 by Debra4