Verio One Touch vs. Omnipod w Freestyle strips

We have been wondering about the accuracy of the Verio One Touch. My daughter had a high at school of 285 (G5). She checked her sugar with the Verio and it said it was 380! Almost 100 off from the G5. She then checked it with the Omnipod and it was closer at 280 (only 5 off from the Dexcom and 100 off from the Verio One Touch).

When she got home from school we tried it out again (and before bed) with the same results. The Omnipod was much closer to the G5 and the Verio would be anywhere from 50 to 100 points higher.

So my questions is how accurate is the One Touch? Is the Omnipod better to use? I assumed all meters were pretty much the same and we have noticed before that the Verio usually reads higher than the Omnipod with the Freestyle strips. They are never even close the Omnipod is lower than the Verio 100% of the time. Yesterday was the first time we really compared them when it said she was 380 compared to 285 (G5) and 280 (Omnipod).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I’ve commented elsewhere, but I despise all of the Verio line. There’s three of them total, I think. The Verio iq was delivered with my insulin pump, and Byram Healthcare has also sent me a straight verio and a verio flex after much complaint, and their refusal to send me freestyle strips (my preferred) even though they supply them to their omnipod people. Apparently I’m stuck with the crappy meter and strips, unless I source strips elsewhere.

They’re so far high, that I go into a serious hypo each and every time I try to bolus from any of them. As much as I hated the Verio IQ, it seems to be the most consistent of the three, if nothing else. My flex is by far the worst. Complete random number generator. Back to back readings have varied more than 130 pts, nearly all above my freestyle lite, which I feel really confident in. And I’m talking when I’m within range, too, not over 500, which is what it would take to make that kind of variances acceptable.

It’s a shame, because I started with One Touch 30 years ago, they were always the bench mark standard. Now I’d say run like hell from them. I’m not even sure how they passed FDA clearance with these.

In various studies the Contour Next (not the Next One or any other Contour using the same strips) emerges the most accurate meter with a MARD of 5 (TheDexcom G6 has a Mard of about 9).
See article “Calibration needs accurate blood glucose meters” for sources on my website bgonmywatch.com

https://www.onetouch.es/sites/onetouch_es/files/styles/product_image/public/files/header-images/esp_otv-meter.jpg

This is what we have. (Of course in English!).

IMHO, the Verio meters make great paperweights.

1 Like

The past couple of days we have used the Freestyle strips in the Omnipod. Last night when it was time to calibrate the G5 they both said 151. We got our replacement G6 transmitter in the mail yesterday (our other one failed after less than 30 days). We will probably continue to use the Freestyle strips in the Omnipod now that insurance will let us buy the Freestyle strips.

I find the PDM’s built-in Freestyle to be accurate. Every five or six months, when I get blood drawn before my endo visit, I do a test with my PDM at the same time. The numbers are always very close. (I can’t say the same for my G4.)

I have both the Verio IQ and the PDM - and quite honestly - they are almost identical when I check using them. My original issue turned out to be that my hands were simply not clean when I tested. Now I was thoroughly before testing, and it is spot on. Every once in a while if I think something is weird, I will check with the Omnipod, and it is within 10 - 15 points up or down.