Very scared. How quickly can LADA come on

I’m very scared right now. I posted in the Pre-diabetes forums, but just today I’ve had a sudden spike in my BG readings.

This morning my fasting was 113, but I think I messed it up because the blood has smeared. I took it again and it read 85. Then in a couple of minutes was at 99.

I took it again 1 hour after having one piece of sprouted grain bread with an egg. It was 146. It’s never gone this high and I have had this same meal, but with 2 pieces of bread and it was only 108.

I just had lunch and took it one hour after and it was 164. It was brown rice, with ground turkey and vegetables in a stir fry sauce. The last time I had this same meal, it was 101 at one hour.

What could be going on? I did the 164 reading twice because I couldn’t believe it. Could my meter be screwed up. This is the first day I’ve ever had such high numbers that I know of. I’m going through peri-menopause, and have had a rough few days with butterflies (adrenalin) constantly in my stomach. Could that be it? Should I be concerned? I’m shaking, I’m so scared.

Here’s what I posted in the PD forum for reference of what my numbers have been like over the last few years.

Hi everyone, I’ve been lurking and thought I would post.

In 2006 I had my first pysical that included a BG test.

The test came with a reading of 113. The Dr. sent me back in 3 months and I insisted on having the OGTT done as well. That test came back at 103 fasting and 118 OGTT at 2 hours. I’m in Canada, and this is considered normal.

In 2006 I was Dxd with Ulcerative colitis. Thankfully it’s a mild case of it and I’ve achieved remission for the most part…flares here and there though. It’s thought to be an autoimmune disease, but from reading, some medical people aren’t so sure.

In 2007 I had another test done and fasting came back at 104. Basically the same as the previous year. My Dr. asked me if I ever had GD and I told him I didn’t know because my Dr. at the time didn’t give me a test. He only tested my pee weekly. That was 27 years ago. My baby was large, 9lbs 13 oz, but he was more than 2 weeks late.

In 2007 I decided that even though considered ‘normal’ it would be beneficial to purchase a meter. Over cautious…perhaps.

I’ve tested myself at all different times of the day, fasting (then 2 hours after meals. Recently I’ve been testing at 1 hour to see if that’s when I peak. My after meal numbers are usually around 110-115 at one hour (I’ve only done this a few times) and at 2 hours it’s 100 or just a little over. This is after eating whole wheat spaghetti, turkey burger on a whole wheat bun, rice with meals etc, even a very occasional fast food burger. The highest I’ve ever been, and it was only 1 time is 158 at 2 hours after a filet 'o fish and fries at McDonalds . The odd time it’s been 130ish, but very, very rarely.

I always make sure I’m having some lean protein and veggies with my carbs (low GI, usually).

I test for a week or so every few months to see what’s going on…checking for changes. For months I had been at 84 fasting and 95-110 - 2 hours after most meals.

In the last couple of weeks my fasting has been 97-104 and my after meal nos. are about 100-115. It seems they’ve jumped just a little. I am having a slight flare with my colitis, so I’m not sure if that could have something to do with it.

This increase could be totally normal for me, as I go for weeks without testing and it could be that this does happen and I just don’t know it because I’m not testing at the time.and around for a while?

The reason I’m posting here is to maybe see what you guys think could be going on with me. Am I PD, type 1.5 or normal?

I’m a 50 year old female, 5’6" weighing about 130lbs. I have low blood pressure, great cholesterol, so obviously not the typical type 2. I do know that type 2’s can be slim though.

I don’t know my family history as I was adopted, so I’m sort of flying blind as to what might be down the road for me. I’m also curious to know more about LADA. I assume that if I did have GD 27 years ago, and had autoimmune D it would have manifested itself by now in a bigger way than slightly high fasting nos., or can it hide in there waiting…I really don’t know.

Would my fasting and PP nos. have gone up since I first found out my nos. were a little high 3 1/2 years ago? They’ve basically stayed the same even though I don’t eat a totally low carb diet.

I realize no one can Dx me on a message board, but would be interested to read what your thoughts on my situation are. Thanks very much for reading this.

You know, (I recognize your question from another forum, BTW, hi, it is me again) … I have never read anything on this, but I think the evidence of the attacks on my thyroid and beta cells have been episodic in nature.

I was thinking though, you might want to consider just what is happening in your pancreas, a bit differently. Your beta cells undergo demise – a reduction in total mass and thus insulin production, but then some do survive and heal and begin to produce insulin again. So you might see periods of low secretion, recovery, and followed by improved blood sugars for a while, and then another “crash” in ability to produce … it is a cyclical function, not complete devastation with no recovery. Theoretically you can help preserve and heal more of those cells, by being especially careful of carb intake, during these low periods, to optimize their recovery. I have yet to find out how long it takes to effect recovery, physiologocially but then, that might be hard to measure on a person, LOL.

Do you know for sure that you do have LADA? Have they tested you for antibodies yet?

Hi Linda, Thanks for your reply. I’ve not been tested for LADA (GAD). My Dr. says I’m not prediabetic or diabetic. He laughed at me when I told him I wanted to get a meter.

If you look at my numbers over the last 3 1/2 years, they’ve been pretty consistent. This increase is very recent. It was almost from one day to the next. I’m not sure the pancreas works like that does it. Wouldn’t it be a more gradual increase?

Maybe I’m just getting sick and my glucose is elevated (I’ve also got constant adrenaline from peri-meno), at this point I truly don’t know what to think.

I’ve had all kinds of differing opinions about my numbers over the last 3 1/2 years. Some say you’re fine, go worry about something else. Others tell me I’m PD. My Dr. tells me I’m normal. Thank you for talking to me.

Your numbers really do look good. Could ti be bad test strips? I know I got a batch for my Aviva, that ran very high – apparently cold damage or heat damage makes them do that. Might try something like that.

Or you could be coming down with something.

Does working out bring it back down, when it spikes? Mine came down today, that way, which made me feel a lot better.

I understand about your feelings of not knowing your genetic history, due to adoption – I have 3 adopted kids, myself, and it is a hard thing to come to terms with. But on the other hand, I have no family history of D, so mine is as much of a mystery as your possible D is, in that respect. Genetics is not everything, that is for sure!

Norma-

Hello! There is nothing wrong with being cautious.I would be the same way if I were you. I have LADA. When I was dx’d I was placed on oral medication and my Endo (at the time) told me my pancreas could give out at anytime within the next 4 years. I controlled my diabetes well with pills up until dec 2007. My honeymoon phase ended and I am now using an insulin pump. If you are worried keep an eye out and try to get tested once a year.

Cheruse

Hi, Norma,
Fasting BG of around 100 is definitely not normal. You could be very early stage LADA. Have you tried testing at 30 minutes? I have similar numbers to you at one hour, but whenever I tested at half an hour, I was seeing numbers between 150 and 180. I believe that my first phase insulin release is impaired, which is often the case at the beginning. I still have a robust second phase and so I get enough insulin to bring my BG down to 100 within the hour. It’s not good for your pancreas to have those kinds of swings and if that is what is happening for you, it would be helpful to find out so you can prevent burnout of your beta cells. I saw one endo who told me I was completely normal. I had the OGTT and at 2 hours was 115. But at 1 1/2 hours I was at 175 which is not normal. My numbers have never looked diabetic, but I had the antibody tests done (not just the GAD) and was positive for islet cell antibodies so i got the diagnosis. I take tiny amounts of insulin and eat a very low carb diet and have been able to keep my BG in the normal range which is under 120 almost all the time, even in the first hour after eating. You were wondering why autoimmune diabetes would be manifesting itself now. I think it is more common to develop autoimmune conditions during menopause because of all the hormonal changes. Women have many more autoimmune problems than men. I suggest you keep testing and if you find that you do spike very high in the first hour after eating, you might want to go back to your doctor and ask for antibody testing. BG above 200 at any time is diagnostic for diabetes. Often the fasting levels stay close to normal much longer than PP levels. Good luck!

Have you thought of entering a clinical trial specifically geared toward LADA? Diamyd’s vaccine has shown a great deal of promise for LADAs who are not insulin dependant

Only 14 percent of the
patients in the 20 µg Diamyd dose group required insulin treatment after 5 years compared to 64 percent of the
placebo treated patients.

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS59748+04-May-2009+GNW20090504

Hi Libby, Thank you for the reply. I’ve never tested at 1/2 hour. From everything I’ve read, even normal people can spike up to 165 within the first hour. So even if I did spike it really wouldn’t tell me anything. I’m even more worried now that I read your situation though.

Your numbers are well within normal, so it’s really just a fluke that you even know you’re diabetic. What is your fasting number?

I guess really the only way for me to know would be to have the anti-body testing done. I don’t know if I can convince my Dr. though. He doesn’t even consider me to be pre-diabetic. In Canada you’re not considered PD under 110 fasting ( I believe the U.S. is the only country that does).

I’m going to see him on Friday for my annual physical, so I’ll talk to him then. I’m sure his eyes are going to glaze over, he’ll think I’m nuttier than usual.

Thank you Cheruse, I’m actually going to the Dr. this Friday for my annual, so I’m going to talk to him more about this.

Hi again Linda, I don’t think it’s the strips, because last week my numbers were as they usually are. It’s just within the last few days that it’s been elevated and 'm using the same strips. I suppose it’s possible that I’m harbouring a virus or something…who knows?

Now that I read Libby’s story, I’m even more concerned that it could be LADA. It doesn’t prove anything, of course, but makes it more possible. It’s just been such a roller coaster for me the last 3 1/2 years. Being told I’m normal by some, not normal by others. Reading so many conflicting things.

I actually found some studies from the 1920/30s on the fluctuations of blood sugar in normal people. It was interesting because the majority of them had fasting numbers in the 90’s, which we are now told is high. These were all young healthy nursing and medical students in the study.

I also found one they did with some students more recently to test whether stress caused a spike in BGs. Some of them had fasting in the 90s also. They did readings every 30 minutes and 4 out of the 8 students went above 150 (up to 182) at the 30 minute mark in the non-stress situation.
http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/cgi/reprint/47/6/558.pdf

This goes to show that even normal people do spike that high even though we keep reading that they don’t. This is my frustration. My Dr. tells me that normal people blood sugar can act like mine, so convincing him otherwise might be difficult.

Thanks for taking the time to talk to me again.

Thank you for that information.

The reason to check before an hour is to find out if you have an impaired first level insulin release. If you do, it is a sign that you have lost some beta cells, probably due to LADA. Once you know, you can address this by diet and exercise if you can’t get your doctor to prescribe insulin. Since it is just at the beginning stage, you can prevent further loss and avoid becoming insulin dependent. I was diagnosed 2 years ago and am able to keep my numbers normal without insulin. I occasionally take a very small amount of regular insulin (2-3 units before a meal), but mostly manage on diet and exercise. Normal people do not go up to 165 after meals, that is a myth. Normal people may go up to about 130 or so but only for a few minutes. I’ve tested my husband and family many, many times, and I rarely see anything higher than 95, even after hundreds of carbs. My fasting numbers used to be totally normal: around 80. Recently, they vary a bit, but I never see anything over 95 or so. You might want to check out this website to see what non-diabetic numbers look like: http://www.diabetes-symposium.org/index.php?menu=view&id=322 (What is Normal Glucose). The author studied a small number of non-diabetics and found that there was no variability in the fasting level, it was always around 80. The average non-diabetic spends only 1 minute per day above 160, 10 minutes between 140 and 160, and one hour between 120 and 140. Maximum BG after breakfast was under 140, after lunch and dinner under 120.
Have you had an A1C test done? Mine was 7.2 when I was diagnosed, even though I had a normal fasting BG and one hour PP. I was yo-yo-ing up and down and feeling terrible.

I think you’re getting worried over little. Your numbers are still quite very good, but if you feel uncomfortable, then you should call your doctor. You may be eating the same foods, but it is unlikely that your A) Activity B) stress C) mood or D) social environment is precisely the same. I would suggest drinking a lot of water and going for a walk, and then test again. See if your numbers come down. If they don’t, don’t stress, because that’ll make them go higher. Just stay relaxed, and call your DR at your earliest convenience.

Hi Libby, I have seen that study. Here’s the take on it on another message board.
http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/diabetes/17046-normal-blood-glucose-graph.html

I’ve never had an A1c, but will ask for one this week when I go for my physical.

I’ve seen a few studies of non-diabetic people, and it seems that they can go above what some say is not normal. Here’s another study showing the BGs of some students in an OGTT to test what stress does to their BGs.
http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/cgi/reprint/47/6/558.pdf

The test shows that BGs peak earlier non stress than stress, but those numbers went up past 150 (up to 182) on half the students in the non stress situation.

I’m not trying to argue, but I do wonder why we’re being told by some that non diabetics never go over 120 no matter what they eat and when. It’s simply not true.

If the 30 and 60 minute numbers are indicative of diabetes, then why don’t the labs test at those times? My OGTT was only a fasting and 2 hour.

I also found some studies that were done in the 1920’s on student nurses and residents. The majority of them had fasting levels in the 90s. We’re being told that the 90s in not normal. Were the majority of these student nurses and residents not normal?

It’s no wonder we get confused as to what normal is and isn’t. There really aren’t many studies done on non diabetic people to know for sure IMO.

Hi Christine, Thank you for replying. I hope I’m getting worried over nothing. I’ve just never seen my numbers go this high before. It’s a jump from one day to next almost. Even with LADA, I don’t think it acts that way. I’ve always heard it’s more gradual than within a few days.

I’m really trying not to stress, but my hormones seem to take over my brain and my regular brain goes on vacation. I hope I’ll get some more answers from my Dr. when I go on Friday and ask for the A1c.

Hey Norma,
Just remember that while you are stressing over your numbers and their variations each day, that all the home glucose monitors we use, are only required to be 20% accurate compared to an actual veinous blood draw. That means if your BG is actually 100, the meter can read from 80 - 120 and still be 100% working and calibrated. Given a true BG # like 125, an your meter could read 150. This is the reason why they will not diagnose diabetes with a home meter. I have on many occasions taken several readings from the same drop of blood, with the same meter and came out with drastically different results. Other things like food and lotion on fingers can affect readings as well. Also, things like drugs (like tylenol & vitamin c) , dehydration and hemocrit can affect home monitors.

My point is not to panic over small changes in home meters, I would be more interested in lab values and A1Cs over time.

Hi Mandy, Thanks for the reply. I do understand what you’re saying about meters and their fallibility. I’ve been monitoring off and on for a couple of years with my own monitor and don’t ever sweat the small deviations.

These last few days have worried me, because they are consistently higher than they’ve ever been before. I’ve never, ever had a readings this high before. For example today at lunch I had homemade turkey barley soup. Normally at 2 hours this has never gone above 95 or so at 2 hours. Today it was at 117, and even at 3 hours it hasn’t gone below 108.

It’s the change in pattern that has me concerned. I eat a fairly consistent diet from week to week, so it’s easy for me to compare what a meal did last week, last month compared to today.

It is strange about meters though isn’t it? The other morning I got an 85 and 103 from the same pin prick using different strips. I’ll definitely feel like I know more once I get an A1c done. Thanks.

I know this won’t happen …but give up worring about it ;aniexty doesn’t help. Aniexty will in fact cause a raise in BG.This is part of the “fight or flight” response. Being diabetic regardless the type ,T1 ,T2, or LADA isn’t the end of the world; itis a chance to start living a healther life style.

GD 27yrs. ago would increase your chance of T2 not auto-immune types such as LADA. Around middle age the chance of T2 is most likely to happen .Diabetes is also an inflamatory disease which is also increases with age. Insulin is the one hormone that doesn’t decrease normally with age . In type 2 it is more of a metabolic disorder ,this is one reason over weight be comes an issue. When the amount of insulin is greater than the demand the body becomes resistant to insulin . The number of receptor on the cell reduce in number. Another factor is that the body maybe making enough insulin but there is a chance in the structure of the molecue and the receptors no long respond … sort of like trying to fit a wrong key in a lock. Trans Fats can cause diabetes ; give up the fast food french fries ! 5% of those with T2 have no risk factor such as family Hx ,weight Race ,ect.

15 to 20% of all adults Dx as T2 are reallly LADA .The only way to tell for sure is a GAD test to check for anti-bodies and to check c-peptide levels. For the LADA there is the “honeymoon period” during this time the pancrease will still produce enough of your own insulin .However ,the production may be spuratic and there is no rhyme or reason for BG level .This is very frustating ,especially when you have be careful with your diet. Often LADA follows a bout with a viral infection.

Morning BS are often higher ,this is call the “dawn phenomenom” This is due to the fact that the body releases a stress hormone to wake us. Non-diabetics have it as well the difference is theirs goes back to normal shortly there after.

Don’t even worry about 1 hour readings of glucose after eating ,this still in the normal time for glucose to spike . You want to look at 2 hour and if it is high check it again in a 1/2hr. What you had to eat with effect the time of recovery.

Regardless Non-diabetic or what type diabetic must people can benifit from the same things … A low glycemic diet , higher amounts of Omga 3 oils exercise . The Zone diet seems to be very effective. The one thing that has proven to increase longavity in all animals including humans is caloire reduction.

The change in your hormone will have an effect on every thing including BG but the good news the same step will also help with the hormonal changes.

You should be checking your BG 2 hours post meat to get an accurate picture of how the food is effecting your blood sugars.
It’s common for a non-diabetic to shoot up to 150 after eating something. My son’s best friend has 1.5 LADA and his BG are to die for from a Type 1 diabetic’s stand point. He takes one shot of Lantus in the morning and he’s good for the day. His A1C is never over 7.