Veterans vs. noobs

I actually want to give it a go for a year or so just to earn some more street cred

3 Likes

I remember how anxious I was as a noob. You have gone from being normal to being chronically ill, all the dire warnings thrown at you, and tied to a regime that usually does not work since it is generally ā€˜one size fits allā€™. Thank goodness for lists like this one, they saved my sanity.

1 Like

Actually, the increments kinda make sense roughly based on action

250 mg/dl - Dude, watch what you are doing
500 mg/dl - Need insulin now!
1000 mg/dl - Please drive me to the ER
2000 mg/dl + - Call 911

2 Likes

If you do, be sure to use only two shots a day and an exchange list. None of this faking MDI with four shots of NPH and carb countingā€”thatā€™s cheating! :wink:

Itā€™s been too long, but I donā€™t think you can equate the urine mg/dl to blood md/dl. I know I had read high urine readings and I wasnā€™t on my way to the hospital. I think that is where the keytone tests became more critical in diabetes management.

1 Like

Youā€™re right, the urine tests (whether glucose or ketone) are not the same measurements as the blood tests.

Actually I believe that the picture above provides the ā€œinterpretationā€ of what the urine test color means in terms of blood sugar. Here is an explanation on how to interpret a modern strip reading and it explicitly says that the interpretation is based on blood sugar, not glucose concentration in the urine.

And as a point of reference, a normal glucose concentration in urine is zero to 15 mg/dl.

I know! My original comment was emotionally reacting to a thread on the diabetes forum on reddit, not to the folks here :slight_smile: And Iā€™ve had the same journey as far as lancets go. When I start injections, at least Iā€™m forewarned and forearmed this time around! I have you all to thank for that.

I havenā€™t seen it here in this forum, but elsewhere online Iā€™ve often seen Type 2s and LADAs be mercilessly mocked or put down for struggling with controlling their blood sugars. Same goes for older Type 1s ā€œwho should know better.ā€ There is a persistent issue around diabetes that when someone is struggling, itā€™s considered to be their fault. It makes them a bad person, lazy, fat, or whatever.

A thread yesterday on /r/diabetes started with a woman asking for help because she was a ā€œcrap diabetic.ā€ A certain number of Type 1 ā€œvetsā€ decided to pile on and mock her for not having enough will power. That was the condescension I was thinking about when writing my response :slight_smile: Iā€™ve seen nothing but class and support from all you vets on this forum!

3 Likes

I donā€™t get this type of ā€œsupportā€ at all. Some people just love this style of insult humor. I never enjoyed this, even less so when Iā€™m the target. When you call them on it, theyā€™re mystified why you feel injured. They think everyone enjoys this treatment. Some may even try to pass it off as ā€œtough love.ā€ Iā€™m not buying it. To me itā€™s offensive, abrasive, and thoughtless and should only be used when you know the target person appreciates this style and will not be offended. Itā€™s not where Iā€™d like to hangout online!

4 Likes

thanks @David49 - it means a lot to those of us volunteering here to get a nice comment. When I joined TuDiabetes in 2008, Iā€™d already had type 1 a long time, but I had not kept up with things. Heck, I wasnā€™t carb counting or using I:C ratios with any precision. I was totally SWAGging it. I was afraid Iā€™d be met here with a ā€œwhatā€™s wrong with youā€ or some such judgement. Instead I found the outstretched hands of support and friendship.

this is definitely something we strive to make our community be a refuge from. itā€™s part of our community values
https://forum.tudiabetes.org/t/the-values-of-tudiabetes/34720

4 Likes

As Iā€™ve explained elsewhere, I still use R for high-protein meals because it matches up better than anything else. But Iā€™m inexpressibly grateful that I never had to use a whole list of things, and NPH is definitely one of themā€”along with urine strips, boilable syringes and sharpenable needles, the infamous ā€œguillotineā€, etc., etc.

My only surviving OCD behavior (I think) is cleaning the needle of the syringe with alcohol right after each use. I reuse syringes because of cost, and when a previously-used needle is reinserted into a vial, I donā€™t want any old, stale insulin clinging to the outside of the needle and potentially contaminating the new, fresh insulin in the vial. So far itā€™s working; I havenā€™t had a vial go bad, yet (knock wood).

Indeed. And a similar mindset leads some (not all) HCPs to label any diabetic with less-than-good control as ā€œnon compliantā€. Since many HCPs firmly believe that achieving good control is cut and dried and will work for anyone if they just follow the recipeā€”not their fault, itā€™s what they were taught in schoolā€”it logically follows that anyone who doesnā€™t have good numbers must be failing to follow instructions.

2 Likes

I just want to say I wouldnā€™t have made it without you guys! There were a lot of mis-steps in my early treatment plans and I didnā€™t know anybody else to talk to where I live. Namaste! :sunflower:

1 Like

. . . and seconding what others have said, itā€™s part of our community ethos that people are here to be welcomed and assisted, not judged. IMHOP that is indeed something that separates this place fromā€”ahemā€”some other parts of the DOC.

1 Like

I remember my initial noobiness including some of the ā€œits all overā€ anxiety, that fatalistic depression that Iā€™m weakened now, a cripple, slowly decaying over the rest of my life.

Reality is far different, veteran experience that life can be lived fully, vigorously, and with joy.

3 Likes

Amen. Been there, did that, and came out the other side. This is something that newbies really need to hear, repeatedly. :+1:

I wonā€™t consider the trial valid for passage to vethood unless he ditches the glucometer and sticks to pee strips for testing as well. :wink:

To be truly faithful to the canon, he really should use glass syringes and reusable needles, too. :sunglasses:

1 Like

That looks like a newer bottle than I used. Results werenā€™t marked in mg/dl, rather a range from: negative - trace - 1+, 2+, 3+, 4+. I always wondered what my bg could have been at 4+.

[quote=ā€œDavid_dns, post:31, topic:57589, full:trueā€]

As Iā€™ve explained elsewhere, I still use R for high-protein meals because it matches up better than anything else. But Iā€™m inexpressibly grateful that I never had to use a whole list of things, and NPH is definitely one of themā€”along with urine strips, boilable syringes and sharpenable needles, the infamous ā€œguillotineā€, etc., etc.
[/quote]I checked, and I think this makes you an Admiral, in good company with that hero, Admiral Akbar:

1 Like

They missed an obvious classic: Bonnie and Clyde.