Well meaning people around lows

someone recently posted on reactions loved ones have when a d person has lows. yesterday i was at a meeting at work. we are a small company of about 150 but are spread out in centres across the city. we see people from other centres every week or couple of weeks for in-service days (we are teachers) and some of us are in a choir, which meets about three times a month after these in-service days and meeting.

yesterday i sat thru a meeting with about 20 other people talking exam preparation etc and i noticed that i was really not following/not able to concentrate. but i had taken my bs before the meeting started and it was 148, so thought, its not bs, its that im tired or whatever. ive been running low the last couple of days.

choir started 30 minutes later and i took my bs cuz i just felt "off" and to my surprise, i was quite low, 58, so i had 8 gr sugar and tried to sing, which was really hard. you cant carry a tune low, cant concentrate on a harmony, its really weird, cuz its just...singing!

it was one of those lows that knock you out, like you need your bed and only your bed (maybe cuz i dipped so fast?).i felt like leaving but had got there by bike and couldnt face the 20 minute cycle home. there were like eight of us there and i was asked by half the people there at different times if i was ok. everyone heard me say to the other people i was ok. i felt like i wanted to disappear! i just wanted everyone to keep singing and stop asking me if i was ok, bringing attention to others that i am a SICK PERSON!! (i dont see myself as sick but i know other people might).

it seems that these poor non ds cant get it right for us-theyre overly concerned or not concerned enough. i know my coworkers (and friends, they are lovely people) were only showing concern but i felt awful. and then i didnt want to leave because i felt like if i left they would all be talking about me and how pale/shaky/quiet i was! awkward!

I've experienced the same feelings about not wanting to appear incompetent in front of my fellow workers. I'd soldier on and just go through the motions when low demons take over. When I get really low and and become unaware that I'm low, I slip into some kind of reptile brain survival mode.

Perhaps it would be more honest if you just conceded your difficulty and excused yourself to gather your sensibilities. People don't expect perfection out of their fellow human beings. Sometimes letting your vulnerability show creates more respect for you. I've never been very good at this tactic but I know I am more than willing to extend this kindness when it happens with other people. It makes me feel better when I do this, yet I resist accepting this in myself.

If this only happens once in a while, people will not let it color their view of you. Honesty usually is the best policy. Good luck.

I think people who know you or even people you don't know who are perceptive can tell when you're low. Maybe not like a 70ish solid low but, when I'm crashing out, I get into kind of a 1000 meter stare zoned out feeling that peole notice. I don't actually mind that people mention it to me. I'm usually pretty on top of things but I don't take it personally.

I agree singing or doing music in general hypo can be a hot mess. I played golf once before band practice and got there to set up my junk and tuning a guitar was horribly difficult as everything was echoing all over the place.

Haha I like that, “reptile brain survival mode” Terry. I approach that point in the low 50s, spacey and zoned out like acidrock said. I’m hypo unaware so my husband can tell before I can that I’m going low, he says I get quite grumpy. Went to 38 a few weeks ago, still conscious but felt like I was drowning brain cell wise, not fun.

Yup.

It is far harder for THEM, than it ever is for us. They are forced to watch, unwilling voyeurs to events which APPEAR to be controllable... to their perception anyway. Their perception of diabetes rarely meets reality(ies) of the real world.

They perceive these events are avoidable. They believe it is a disease to be controlled albeit easily, and are clearly mistaken. "Appreciate the concern", is the most I offer the "pull string" of excess concern.

I have a job in public health, and am surrounded by RN's. Every time I test my blood sugar, one of them will ask if I am ok. I finally told them last week that I am only checking my blood sugar, but I do appreciate their concern. I also told them this is the first job I've had where I didn't have to educate my coworkers about diabetes and low blood sugar and what to do, etc.

Lol, any extra jobs ?!?!

Was never fond of getting the call over the intercom 4, 5, 6 times every single day. Did you EAT yet... you have lunch... what was for lunch... variations on the same theme. Concern, often excess, frequently extremely excess...

You patience is extraordinary. Bravo!!!

If I am in any kind of a group for any period, I make sure I pull out my insulin pen and inject in front of them all. Most people don't know what I am doing, but at least eventually they all notice that I am doing something "different" or something that they don't do and start asking questions. This is a start. As for lows and highs, at this point I cannot start discussing my odd behavior that is attributable to diabetes lows and highs. The other odd behavior I leave for later, just kidding. . . I found that co-workers and continuous groups respond better than my family who is clueless, even after many years with me as a type 1. They still don't get when I say I am low, I am announcing, "Help me now." They believe I can handle everything myself, think that low is not synonymous with "I feel like I am being hit by a truck right now. They also don't know that after treating a low that it doesn't work right away and start asking me five minutes after a whopper of a low to write the grocery list or something as inappropriate in my brain challenged condition.
I was in group therapy and there was one other person with diabetes in it that I didn't even realize had it. The theme of the group was "Move Forward" no excuses. He said, " I can't because I can't make insulin." I am thinking, "I relate to that." To everyone else no reaction. One, they probably didn't even know what insulin was, didn't relate to diabetes because they all had other compromising situations or conditions. Two, they just didn't get it and never would, or three, they would eventually get it given education and time.
I have completely lost it at work when I worked, right before lunch at class, and other public places and started acting drunk. Lovely. I check sometimes BG is high, low or just right. I can feel drops and rises as hypos as well. Yep,it is a tough one. I have dealt with this by saying to myself that hardly anyone gets it and that is okay because I get it and I have my ID bracelet on in plain view in case I pass out somewhere. When I act inappropriately I sit down if I am not already and check my BG. If I offend anyone, oh well. It works for me.