I’ve been having a lot of health problems in the past year and my doctor and endo seem to continue to dismiss them. I’ve posted different questions about the symptoms, but the responses I’ve been getting give me an indication that I shouldn’t be suffering like this. Hoping maybe someone has an answer?
I was diagnosed with 1.5 officially in Jan 2009, but was on and off insulin since Jan. 2008. My A1cs had always been in the 6s, even at diagnosis. I got a pump in January because I’d been having the following problems and I thought maybe better control would help. I’ve gotten really sick over the last few months and to be honest, I’ve felt hopeless. I worked really hard, eating well exercising 5 days a week and no improvement. I gave up trying as hard and my latest A1c was 8.7. I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism in Oct 2008 and I’m on 0.75 mg. My TSH is under one consistently since I started taking the pills.
What’s been happening:
- Slow-healing cuts (for example, the needle poke for my lab blood tests is still red more than two weeks after I took the text). I’m sick with colds a lot up to once or twice every month (I have a four-year-old who brings home whatever’s going around preschool)
- My arms and legs “fall asleep” very easily. And when they do I get pins and needles that are very painful. Some days both my arms all the way to my hands are tingly. I can’t associate this with any activity or time of day/month.
- Sorry to male readers but - extremely heavy periods. Like more than a pad an hour for the first three days (and changing twice a night).
- My wedding ring leaves an indent on my finger and my socks leave rings around my ankles. I think this is called “edema.” Is this a side effect of taking insulin?
- Severe constipation. I’ve taken metamucil three times a day and still can’t go. I have to take 2x extra strength exlax just to go once every three days. And I have about 90 g of carbs a day and they’re high fibre carbs (no white bread).
My doc’s response - the slow-healing is in my head, the heavy periods are an adjustment after having two children, the pins and needles are due to the recent A1c, and my doc gave me a stool softener for the constipation.
I’m desperate for these things to get better. I’m in hot water at work for the amount of days I miss. I’m a working mom and it’s so hard to take care of kids and work as it is. To be dealing with all these things and still be expected to be all things to all people – I just don’t know how much longer I can keep it together.