What is worng with me

Ok I take Novolin N, and I feel like sometimes I am on a Roller Coaster for many reasons. I take 11 units in the Am and 12 at dinner time. The last 3 days my BS have been higer in the AM and noon. high 140’s and 150’s. I eat the same thing for breakfast daily. 1 Low Carb Yogurt, it has 3 carbs in it. My lunch is meat and greenbeans and cheese, Dinner is meat, veggies and salad. My Night time snack is SF jello with coolwhip…
The strange thing is, I feel dizzy when my BS are higher in the am, What cause this…today I was like that, and took my BS at 12 noon, and my BS was 146, and so I waited and noticed my dizzy feeling was gone, and at the 45 min mark, my BS was 109… Why such a fast drop?

All I can think is 11 units is not enough, my BS must be spiking higher and this 146 and 157 is not the 2 hr, so they are going higher, right…

My Carb count is low, so whats with this BS… I get a bad low every once in awhile…

1 other thing, I have 1 Adrenal Gland…so could this be a issue too? .

Higher in the morning and noon could be to do with a night time hypo that you have perhaps been unaware of. I often sleep through them and wake with a high. This is apparently called the Dawn Phenomenon. Your body readjusts itself ‘automatically’ to deal with the hypo and is almost like it goes into starvation mode as a precaution. The dizziness could also be down to having had a hypo.

Your breakfast does not sound enough to me. And your lunch has no carbs, and neither does your dinner. Try some more slow release carbs and you might find yourself feeling more stable and generally better. It might take a bit of experimenting.

I am not a doctor, but I have diabetes 1 and have learned that things go better when I eat some carbs.

It’s far easier to control BG with a bolus/basal regiment than with Novolin N . NPH is a nightmare & most people don’t use this. Is there a reason you use this? If your endo won’t switch to more up-to-date insulins, find another.

You can dose bolus for exactly what you’re eating by carb counting & having an insulin:carb ratio. You’ll have more freedom not having to adhere to a strict Novolin eating schedule. Basal insulin will keep you level between meals & overnight.

Dawn phenonmenon happens to many of us. Lowest BG tends to be between 2-4 AM in non-diabetics. As we approach waking, the liver dumps glycogen to raise BG. Of course, diabetics don’t have a way to regulate too much glucose being released, so high AM BG.

With respect to latvianchick, green beans, veggies, salad & cheese do have carbs. Vegetables are slow release carbs because of the fiber.

I’m not sure why my Dr started me on NPH only, I used to take it only at bedtime, but my numbers were continuing to be high., So she had me split the dose and take it at Dinner and Am…
I asked her once if she would give me some type for pre meals to cover spikes, and she said lets see what your A1c says…But I have no Ins anymore, so I added another unit to my dinner time shot…

If I add in Carbs my BS sky rocket, so I have kept them really low. I have been told I don’t eat enough for Breakfast and lunch, but I’m not hungry in the am and lunch is habit…

I just took my BS and its 5 hrs after my shot and dinner and its 157.,drives me crazy…

I know my am is low on carbs,just 3… and lunch its 5 with the greenbeans and 2 with the cheese. dinner is near 20…so even with 30 carbs my Bs are to high…

Crazy for your doc to prescribe NPH. I hope you can change to rapid acting insulin for meals & to correct high BG & basal insulin. You’d have better control. I also eat low carb (30-35 carbs).

Guess what,I had that 157 lastnight at bedtime, and this AM it was 97:)

I ate eggs and sasuage and a 2 tsp of salsa for breakfast, and my 2 hr post was 130…so things today seem a bit better.

Sounds like you need to increase your Basal rate, that should get those numbers manageable.

:frowning: before dinner my BS was 137,I got mad… and started to complain… I had ate 1 oz of cheese at 3 pm…and my Lunch was 2 turkey dogs, no buns, and 1 cup of greenbeans, and 1 oz of cheese.
So I took the 12 of NPH the Novolin N.

Hi. I’d like to express my opinion regarding what you’ve written; what I say might help you in some way.

When it comes to yogurt, I do not eat what I call “regular” yogurt; I eat only Greek Yogurt. Why? Because there are no artificial sweeteners or fruit at the bottom or in-between. Greek yogurt is a better choice, and adding “your own” fresh fruit would allow you to control the amount of sugar that you’re consuming, ergo, controlling the rise in blood sugar. Yoplait has a Greek yogurt that’ll make you hurt yourself! lol The blueberry is superb for my taste buds. :o) Plain would be even better for you. There are other brands that are quite full of “stuff”, including artificial sweeteners (Splenda, Aspartame, etc.), which are in no way “good for the body”, and fruit that you have no idea from where it came – it could be coated with sugar as well! If aspartame was proven to develop holes in the brains of “lab rats”, in the 1960s when a scientist at Monsanto accidentally discovered it, what do you think artificial sweeteners do to the body of human beings?! I could give you the web site to find that info to prove what I’m saying, if you’d like me to provide it; Donald Rumsfeld had a lot to do at that company during that time; you’d be surprised. Monsanto leaves a lot to be desired, in many ways regarding our food (Genetically Modified Organisms - GMOs). If you desire “sugar”, use only Stevia – it comes from a plant. Not even “honey” or “agave nectar” used as a sweetener is good for someone who’s diabetic! Talkin’ 'bout glucose levels being raised to the heavens, use one of those and you might have more problems than what you can imagine (I experienced both).

Lastly, the way that “your body” is reacting from the cheese and bread, maybe you should stop eating that meal for awhile and find a substitute, which, I already know, might be a bit difficult, when it comes to variety. So, leaving “cheeses” alone, just might be what you need to do, and the bread, too. Breads bring their own load of trouble – carbohydrates. OK.

Question: Have you ever heard of a young man named Jordan Rubin? God healed him of about 16 diseases! Type his name in your browser; you’ll be shocked. He has written several books, one of which pertains to diabetes. I read it several years ago and adopted many of the things he suggests that diabetics should do (I sent it to my son who’s diabetic, and have since forgotten the title). What I learned, when it comes to eating snacks, especially when it comes to fruit, Jordan Rubins says to “NEVER EAT FRUIT NAKED”! :o) What “that” means is this: When you eat a piece of fruit, eat protein with it: This will keep your glucose from spiking to the heavens! So, for a snack or a “meal”, I will eat an apple with a serving of “natural almonds” or some walnuts - no flavor or salt or smoke, just “natural”. Or, if I eat a piece of cheese, I have some kind of protein with it, not bread! Think about it for a moment – no bread, no matter that it’s whole grain (definitely not wheat or white) – leave off the bread! Find his info so you can purchase the book about diabetes; then, go to Barnes & Noble online to buy a “used copy” (many books are available that are “used”).

These are suggestions that I do hope you will implement, 'cause I know that they work.

I thought that when I finished graduate school, I’d be done with “researching” – Wrong! ! ! lol So, off you go, and “take off the bread” and “eat the cheese with some kind of protein” – nuts, etc. :o)

First off,I don’t eat breads of any kind, or Rice, or Potatoes, or any juck food. I can’t eat wheat it makes my Psorasis rear its ugly head. I eat all fresh Veggies, and only canned greenbeans,. we make our salad dressing.
I am so sensitive to milk, and greek yogurt spikes my BS. Fruit has been out of my Diet for 38 of the 39 yrs, This yr, my Dr said eat 1/2 a apple at bedtime with Peanut butter. One Am showed good, the next no, and so on… I gave it up. This Diabetes of mine is the strangest I think…
Last night I had stuffed chicken breast, pounded and spinach and mozz cheese and ham, ate broccoli and a small Yam…that was done and finished at 7 pm, at 10 I took my BS it was 136, at 12 pm I took it, no food at all, and it was 150! I said What! How the heck 12 units of insulin and no food and and it jumps…I got mad…

This am it was 122, and before lunch 126, after 1 LC yogurt and 11 units of Insulin.

I have been told I need a Insulin to use before meal…

I don’t have any Medical Ins, so I have to read and read and try to figure out if its safe for me to purchase R for pre-meals…I take Novolin N…I got scared to death yesterday, I read horrible remarks about Novolin N…

I don’t know how to use the regular…I can remember in the 80’s using the NPH of some kind and the reg. But the Dr always told me how much…

Anna, I will look up that man, see what he is all about…Thank you:) Debbie

So sorry for your struggles. Not unusual for protein to fully digest 4-5 hours after eating. Given the inaccuracy of our meters, the difference between 136 & 150 isn’t much.

I use R & also Apidra (rapid acting) & Levemir for basal. R is typically taken 30-45 minutes before meals. It’s slower than rapid acting, but faster than Novolin. It stays around for about 5 hours. The pharm companies have patience assistance programs for people who can’t afford meds. Is there a free clinic for getting an Rx for rapid acting & basal? Difficult to use R for correcting highs since it’s not fast to act. Using Insulin by John Walsh is a great book. Through a bit of trial & error, you’ll figure out your insulin:carb ratio for doses. With rapid acting, doctors start patients off on one unit for every 15 carbs. Eat something with a known 15 carbs, take 1 unit & keep testing. Goal, of course, is for your pre-meal & post-meal readings to be close. From there, it’s experimenting with bolus timing to get the meal spike to coincide with the insulin.