What is your dexcom target range?

My DD has her dexcom clarity range set between 4mmol and 10 mmol.
The doctor suggested it should be lower eg 4-7. Curious what others ranges are.

I started with mine at 4-10 mmol/L, then moved it to 4-8 mmol/L, and for the past year or so have had it set to 4-7 mmol/L.

I think to have it set to a lower range, your BG has to be under good enough control that it’s not constantly going off. Otherwise it’ll cause alarm fatigue and likely not help.

100% agree with @Jen

As your control tightens then pull your target range closer.

IMHO a target range that is unrealistically narrow can easily cause you to yo-yo wildly between highs and lows if you are actually trying to correct for that target.

Are you talking about just ranges on the Clarity report, or the numbers used to trigger alarms. I think they are 2 different things, but I don’t use Clarity.

I agree with @MM1. My Dexcom app itself is set for 3.5 to 7.5, but my diasend app which collates the data is set from 3.5 to 8, I appreciate it’s a minor difference but I tend to find when I am going high, if my dexcom reads 7 or 7.5, my BGL is usually already 8 so I like to be alarmed a bit earlier.

On the clarity report. We don’t have high alarms set on the dexcom app, just the 10mmol limit. We look at it often enough to know where she is. I am referring to the clarity reports and the percentage in range. Should the range only reflect pre- meal numbers eg. 4-7 or should in range be higher to allow for possible meal fluctuations?

I’m the same. My Dexcom is set to 4.0 - 7.0 mmol/L, but Diasend (where I download my data) is set to 4.0 - 8.0 mmol/L.

I have mine set at 3.6 mmol/L and 7.8 mmol/L. (My receiver is denominated in mg/dL.) I’ve set these alert values at various ranges over the years. I used to use 4.4 and 6.7 so that I’d have more time to make counter-moves if my line was drifting out of range.

I’ve fortunately enjoyed relatively low BG variability; flatter lines mean more time between crossing a threshold and moving into an action required status. I went to a wider range partially in response to alarm fatigue.

I think you pick the range that gives you feedback based on your current goals. For example, in 1990s, when using just BG testing and slower insulin, and attempting to improve my control, I set goals of 75% below 240, and less than 10% below 100. After I consistently met those goals, I tightened them. I did this using spreadsheets since there were few tools for tracking and reporting.

Currently my goals are to be 70-150 85-90%. Reports like clarity can show time in range, and help show how well you are tracking for goals for your specific situation. Not everyone can or should have the same goals, or expect to be in range 100% of the time. Life happens!!

Depending on your DD age and time with T1D, the goals could vary greatly.

I’m not sure how it translates to mmol/L, because I use mg/dL. But my range is 70 mg/dL - 270 mg/dL. The range is liberal because I’ve only had the CGM for about 4 months. I’m sure later on, it should be tighter. (I think it translates to 3.9 mmol - 15 mmol).

I don’t know what it is in the mmol scale, but mine is 60-120. My Clarity report shows within range at least 90% of time time I do check it often, and do the mini-changes required: mini doses to correct, use of temp basal or a few glucose tabs. I’ll have to check the Clarity reports to see if the highs and lows are set to what I have set my Dexcom.

I have mine set at 3.3 - 7.9 mmol/L (59-142 mg/dl), but I typically don’t peak higher than mid 7’s. And if I do something is wrong (usually pump site needs changing).

My target BG is 4.5 (81) and I stay reasonably close to that being on ultra-low carb diet. Standard deviation is under 1 mmol/L (< 18) and time in range usually 95-98%.

Well done! I consider time in range the king of all diabetes statistics. As much as the research and clinical practitioners like to use A1c, I consider it seriously flawed since it does not reveal glucose variability and can hide both hypos and hypers. A high percentage of time in range bundles in reduced variability, low time hypo/hyper, and a reasonable average – all in one number.

Thanks Terry, and I agree. Variability deprecates even the best looking median BG’s (especially if you have whopping highs several times a week).

I’d be in range even more but I can’t set my low under 3.3 (being in ketosis falling below 3.0 (54) isn’t troublesome for me like it once was in a carb-fuelled world).

Happy days with low carbs :grinning:

70 to 170. used to be 70 to 300 to keep the ringer from going off after a meal. I found that was not the best thing to do.

My range is 80-200. It’s not often that I’ll hit 200 and even if I do I don’t stay there very long. I set the lower end at 80 because once I reach that I tank pretty quickly. Per Clarity, my 30 day time in range is 96%.

My range is 75-150. I use Afrezza, so don’t give a correction dose before it gets over 150. 75 is usually a good spot for me to catch it on the way down.