What is your target range on your pump?

In December, I went to a new endo – he is a department head at a big hospital in Pittsburgh. He asked me what I had my target range set at on my pump. When I told him 85, plus or minus 10 points, he said that he did not have any other patients with a target that tight. I found that hard to believe. I was just curious what other people have.

100 to 120. My current average is about 132.

90-100

Mine is set to 110. I am still working on understanding the difference between the pump target range (for corrections) and actual blood sugar targets. John Walsh explains that they are different and when I first set it up I had trouble coming up with a number I could work with on my pump. I find that I often ignore the “Add BG” setting when I am bolusing as unless I am too high or too low I don;t really want to alter it by that much. See I can’t even explain it right!

90 plus or minus 30, so 60 to 120. But I sometimes change the target 90 to 95 on the fly when letting the pump calculate the correction

95 +/- 25

85-100

100 +/- 20. I was at 100 +/- 10 but I was getting too many negative corrections so I changed it. This is on the Ping. With Minimed I believe I had the low on 80 and the high at 100 but don’t remember for sure.

I had it set at 100 but, my Endo changed it to 125.

100 +/- 25

100+/-25. Mine would prefer me no lower than 100 if I can help it.

I have 75 (4.2 mmol/l), ±0 (because I think if the target is set to one number, it wards off any possible discrepancy in calculating correction boluses). However, having seen your Dexcom screenshots from your blog, I don’t have that tight targets set at my Dexcom. I have 60-140 (3.3-7.8)…

My pump is set at 80-100, though my target range is actually 70-120. My cgm alarms are set at 75 and 125. I don’t see the range on the pump as a hard target, but something to shoot for knowing that you won’t achieve it all or even most of the time. Even the pump with an experienced operator is imprecise so you will end up outside your range no matter what. Only by setting a tight range as you have will you be able to keep your bgs in the wider ‘acceptable’ range. He didn’t try to convince you to change it, did he?

Though I don’t dismiss the accuracy of what your endo says either. I think that the average “diabetic on the street” probably has much less aggressive goals, and less ‘control’ as a result. I go to Joslin in Boston and, though my endo is older and has a lighter schedule than some of the other docs, he only has one other patient with an A1c<6 and I’m relatively new to that group myself.

Zoe, I did not realize that John Walsh considered them 2 different things. Mine seems to be working OK so I guess that is all that matters. You explained it right because I understood what you were saying!

Claire, I have the targets set tight but I also have alarms going off all the time! I am going to change the plus or minus 10 to zero and see if that helps - I did not think about it causing any discrepancies.

80-100

Alan, I knew Bernstein tries to shoot for more normal numbers and that was actually one reason I picked 85 as my target.

My pump bolusing wizard (calculator) is set to 75-90. The Dexcom is set to 80-120, although I wish I could tighten the Dex to 80-110. I dont want too many alarms, but I think Id be able to keep BGs slightly tighter with that.

Tom, I don’t see it as a hard target either but just something to shoot for. Today I seem to be hanging in the 120s no matter what I do!

I know that most diabetics aren’t as aggressive, but it surprised me that he did not have any patients that were.

I forgot to add that he did not try to get me to change it.