What kind of a job do you have and does it suit your diabetes?

I am a Building Inspector. My mornings are usually spent at construction sites and my afternoons in my office. Scheduling time for meals and testing is not a problem. My job does generate its share of stress.

Wow…yours is very much “high stress/fast pace”…and heavy lifting! You’re right, a CGM and a pump WOULD indeed be a VERY wise move. Take care Pat. Oh…and HAPPY NEW YEAR! ( Though I bet New Year’s Eve was pretty crazy in you’re line of work!!)

Greetings Travis…how does your work associated stress affect your BG?..Does it bring it up, or do you go low? Are the other people at the office aware of your diabetes? Take care, Travis, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!..linda in canada.

You’re right, Twixcookie…along with positions in emergency fields…you can’t just LEAVE the patient or the scene! I suppose you DO have the option to eat something more substantial when the procedure is over!

i work in a shop and it is easy for me to keep track of any changes as my breaks and that are on the same time and it has just become a part of my routine. If i feel low they let me go off and deal with it and it is easy for me to work around my diabetes.

Dear Linda. I guess diabetes is a second class disease compared to peanut allergy.

Yeah…It’s more of a power trip…but at what expense though?

Dear Linda.

Dont know about the glucagon injection as I have never bothered to buy one. But a glucosemeter and 10 test strips would not be more than 50 bucks for the school.

Well, I’m The Glucoholic, but by day I’m also a computer programmer. I have total flexibility in both roles, so managing my diabetes is not too hard at a fundamental level.

What is hard is getting enough exercise. Sitting in a chair typing all day (and night sometimes) doesn’t really prepare you for any marathons ;-(

Dear Glucoholic.

My son is also a "puter man. Being in oil town he writes software for pipeline including USA stuff. Told him to commit suicide now as his life style guaranties diabetes. What do you "pute?

They wont go there…I’ve tried. It’s not about the money…likely a combo of what I touched on before…also the actual testing, since it’s associated with blood and epi pens are not. Besides…I’ve got my own metre and strips, if it comes down to that.

I can’t remember if I’ve answered this, but it’s staring me in the face tonight, so I decided I would answer (again, if it is the 2nd time)…

I work as an Assistant Manager of a Convenience store. I was recently (10/10/09) Dx’d with Diabetes Type 2… Imagine all the “delicious” goodies that hide everywhere… from chocolate to milk to hot dogs… and the list is endless sighs Not to mention the fact that I work all three shifts… from 11pm -7am, 5am-3pm, 3pm-midnight… so… not really easy to get your body used to any particular schedule… I do my best to attempt to have a schedule of sorts… and I have an alarm set for 9:10PM every night to take my insulin shot, but, aside from that… I just go for my “pre-breakfast” or “fasting” sugar check after I’ve had about 6 to 8 hours of sleep.

I can check my sugars while I am at work, that’s not a big deal, but I DO try to be discreet, especially when customers are mucking about in the store.

I do my best to bring my own food and snacks, but sometimes, time is not on my side for that ability, so I read labels and I usually just eat the least bad for me foods, and drink LOTS and lots of water…

As AM, I have a few more liberties than my CSR’s (cashiers, for short), but I do my best to take into consideration any needs that they might have… such as we have alot of smokers, and I do my best, as a non-smoker, to remember to “let” them have a break. Most of the ones that have worked with me in the evenings when I have to take my shot, hear my alarm go off and know to take over the register so I can go take my shot… so… I don’t hide it, but I’m not as outspoken as I used to be… it’s always on my mind, but I have learned that others’ get tired of hearing about it…

thus, ends my rambles… my apologies if I bored anyone…