What makes you want to scream?

We talk a lot about the rampant misinformation 'out there' about D. I find myself, after hearing some of it, saying "I wanted to scream!!"

I found this on eHow this morning, cited in a post from one D to another elsewhere in the DOC. It's from eHow health:

Fatally High
A fatally high blood sugar level is anything above 550. It's possible for an adult to reach even higher levels before exhibiting any symptoms or problems. When the level reaches 600, the person develops hyperosmolar syndrome, which can cause diabetic coma and death.

Fatally Low
Doctors say that a blood sugar level below 50 is fatal. Levels below 60, even in a healthy person, are potentially fatal, especially if the blood sugar drops quickly.

I wanted to scream!!!

I can't abide the commercials that seem to come on every 10 minutes telling us we don't have to prick our fingers any more if we use THIS meter.

I could go on for pages... what makes you want to scream??

non D's completely uninformed views on diabetes... like when they see you testing and say "oh my grandmother does that , your really young to have diabetes, i thought only older people had it."... or my faavorite "your too thin to have diabetes, i thought only obese people get it.".... it just makes me wanna reach out and touch them forcefully in the face!... of course there are more things that just make me want to scream.. i could go on for days

The 13 year old.

Shysters selling snake oil on the internet drive me crazy. If a person goes on the internet searching for diabetes information or information about almost any condition they will be bombarded by all kinds of remedies the majority of which are useless if not dangerous.

There are many good sources of information on the internet but unfortunately you have to wade thru tons of trash to get to it.

Gary

LOL I remember...that DOES top all ;)

When people act like a cure is just around the corner. "Did you hear about this breakthrough, maybe you won't have diabetes soon!?"

Also, when people seem to think my pump is automatic and that I don't have highs and lows anymore, and/or make a big deal about highs and lows I do have. I have highs and lows ever day, there is nothing automatic my pump does to prevent them, and for every time I might mention that I'm high/low there's a thousand other times I don't.

I know my friends and family care; they want me to be healthy and in a healthy BG range all the time, but the two things that drive me nuts are:

1 - They almost always get the treatment options backwards. When I am low, they think I should take MORE insulin; high, they say I should eat something.

2 - They act like everything should be an EXACT math formula. By extension, I should just eat the same thing at the same time everyday ... sheesh!

I hate that too, Shawnmarie and in general I hate any "experts" who are giving out incorrect information, because a) they should know better and b) they are in a position to influence others, both PWD's and professionals. (I guess my personal favorite is when they quote the outdated figure of 10% for Type 1 and state or imply that it is still "juvenile diabetes" (thus leading to misdiagnosis of people who are diagnosed as adults)as well as excluding Type 1's who were diagnosed as children but are now adults and have few resources available to them because the Type 1 services are geared to children and they don't relate to the Type 2 services.

But yes, I to try not to scream at all the things that frustrate me in life because I'd get a sore throat.

Some additions for me... the occasional eye roll when I'm low and have to wait to do what I was planning. "If you'd exercise and lose weight...." I'm no string bean (bmi 25) but c'mon!

You know, as a T2, I find this also at times bothersome. I am pretty tolerant of the public, who are perhaps naive. But when healthcare professionals and ones who claim to be "expert" spout nonsense, that is over the line.

Let's see, where do I start...
sigh.

I know, where do we start indeed. A thing that hurts me more than makes me want to scream are the people who make out its always my fault if I go high or low and need to take time out. I'd love to say to them YOU TRY IT for one week, see how you get on. Sometimes I feel like I'doing all this work and no one knows, so they think oh its quite easy. If that makes any sense.

Being really low and eating or drinking juice to make my blood sugar go up but apparently having a little too much and then re-testing in a bit and then being over 200!! It's a never ending cycle/battle cuz then I have to take more insulin to lower the high...
Ahhhh!!
I scream a lot in my head actually.
lol.

Somebody sees my pump or sees me test:
"Oh you've got diabetes?"
"Yes, Type 1."
"So you take insulin! WOW, you must have a really bad case of diabetes."

Yes - that was said to me by a path girl doing my HBA1c once.

I scream for ice cream :)

Clueless doctors that think they know it all when the type 1 diabetic patient knows way more cuz they're the ones living with the disease.

My grandfather was diagnosed pre-diabetic and took very good care of watching his blood sugars. I'm very proud of him; however now when I go visit them, he tells me about every one of his results for the last month (he tests once every 3 days) along with what triggered higher sugars. For example, "I tested after dinner last Sunday and we had cream corn and my blood sugar was high at 6.2. On Wednesday, I tested after dinner, and had green beans instead, and my blood sugar was 5.3".
As a Type 1, on the pump, testing 10 times a day, I want to scream...

after stating I was a Type 1 diabetic was, "Do you take insulin?"

ROFL!!!

I work in an agency that provides support and training to adults with special needs. A supervisor and case manager said to a client as he was getting a Mountain Dew out of the pop mancine: "You know -----, if you drink enough of that stuff you will catch diabetes."

It took all I had to hold my tongue.