What Supplements do you take?

I have recently taken a VERY aggressive move towards using supplements in an effort to "lose" some meds. I have been working with a Cleveland Clinic Rheumatologist and Endocronologist on this and have managed to come off my cholestrol meds and a blood pressure pill.

Before I started this plan, I was missing 1-2 weeks a month of work due to extreme fatigue, and muscle pains, my sugar was rollercoastering constantly. I had a heart attack April 21, 2011 and received two stints (1 each cath procedure in 2 processes done in a 24 hour period).

Now, I have completed 2 5k races, and have recently started a half-marathon walk-run training program and my fasting BS levels are in the 100-120 range....and my Humalog mealtime insulin use is apx 50% of what it was, I am currently looking at reducing my Lantus dose. My goal is to seriously get off ALL meds.

Anyway, my current supplements are:

Omega-3 EPA & DHA 4,000 mg a day

Multi-Vitamin AM & PM

Ubiquinol CoQ10 200 mg a day

CinSulin with InSea2 each pill contains Cinnamon 175 mg, 100 mg of Seaweed and 133 mg of Crominex 3+ I take 4 a day

R-Lipoic Acid 1200 mg a day (600 in Am/600 in PM)

Niacin B3 (flushing) 1000 mg every AM

Green Coffee Extract (Chlorogenic Acid)1200 mg daily

Mitochondrial Energy Optimizer with BioPQQ 480 mg

I am curious what other people are using and having success with.

ALA
Omega 3
Multi vitamn
Vitamin D 5000U
Green tea extract

Buckley83, what does the Green Tea Extract do?

My multi-vitamin is supplying enough extra Vit D for me.....but, I am curious about the Green Tea Extract.

Hmm not alot, I imagine.

Most reviews suggest that it has good anti oxidant properties, aids weight loss and is an anti carcinogen. Not sure it would have any specific impact on blood sugar regulation.

As with most vitamins and supplements though, I don't believe there are strong meta analysis with sound methodologies to support these claims.

I just take it to hedge bets and hope it does more good then harm!

Even though I consume a number of supplements, my advice would always be a wide and varied diet made up of lots of leafy greens and veg, lean meats, fish, low carb, lots of water and plenty of exercise, which you appear to be doing already :). This will help your overall health and blood profile more than a vitamin pill will.

I'm sure the continued exercise and lifestyle changes will continue to work in your favour.

Not sure if you're type 1 or type 2, but appears you're on insulin. If it's type 1, I would say that getting off insulin is not a sensible goal though.

All the best.

Woah that's a lot of supplements to take in a day? That must be costly too. But still it's better than tons of meds.I recently read up on article why we need to take supplements and I think you are on the right path push for it. I'll show you the article that I saw and tell me if it is the same thing on your mind and that is why you started taking supplements :D http://tgp.com.ph/blog/9-reasons-its-food-supplements/

Rlightning, that article makes sense. But, actually my main reason for going this route was the fact that my doctors were starting to give me meds to counteract side effects of other meds. Crazy circle that was causing major fatigue issues for me. A Dr at Cleveland Clinic started me off and has provided a lot of guidance as I have removed meds and replaced them with natural supplements.

My blood sugar has dropped from averaging 195 to 140, with only apx a 1/4 of the insulin used to take.

And I feel awesome.

ALA
Ubiquinol
Multi Vitamin

I have done a lot of research on this stuff. Apparently the single best way to increase insulin sensitivity to reduce Meds is to reduce body fat as much as possible. Supplements alone are not the answer and as far as I can tell from a few years of careful data collecting have only a very, very slight adjustment to my insulin sensitivity.

I am also on a low-carb (20g a day), high protein diet. This has done wonders for my blood sugars. My endo commented her other patients would probably kill for stable blood sugars like mine. I went from bolusing 25 or so units a day to bolusing about 5 units a day. If you are Type 1 there is no way to get off all meds and having that as a goal is (no offense) ludicrous and dangerous to your mental health. If you are Type 2 I would highly recommend a low carb diet.

A note, I reviewed all of my CGM data. Since I started the supplements I mentioned I saw around a 6 mg/dl decrease in daily average BG after about 2-3 weeks (along with the same activity and diet during that period). As I mentioned, almost negligible. I am a Type 1 so you may see different decreases.

Seems like you’re an LE member (I am). My list of supps is more extensive:
Omega-3 EPA & DHA 1,300 mg T.I.D.
Ubiquinol CoQ10 100 mg BID
Two-Per-Day LE formula Multi-Vitamin AM & PM
Vitamin D3 2,000 IU T.I.D.
Calcium Citrate 500mg BID
Magnesium (complex) 400 mg
Ester-C 500mg B.I.D.
B-100 complex
R-Lipoic Acid, 600 mg BID
Biotin 5mg BID
Lutein, Zeaxanthin , Meso-Zeaxanthin, Astaxanthin complex
Pomegranate Extract 500mg daily
Curcumin
Benfotiamine
Grape Seed Extract
Resveratrol
DHEA 25mg daily
Green Coffee Extract (Chlorogenic Acid)1200 mg daily
Mitochondrial Energy Optimizer with BioPQQ 480 mg
Probiotic 10
Melatonin 3mg HS and another 3mg during night if awakened
Glucosamine-Chondroitin, BID

I was on insulin...but, I am Type 2. Have been through college (found out in a college basketball pre-season physical exam my Freshman year)

But, I was on oral meds for years, and simply progressed into the insulin for control purposes. But, I am now to the point where I check 6-7 times a day, take my Lantus in the morning....and only use the Humalog occassionally. Have actually had to throw a couple of pens away due to the length of time from when they were first used. We (Endo and I) are reducing the amount of Lantus slowly....hoping it all goes away.

You hit it on the heard NutriJoy.....I am in LE, my Cleveland clinic medical team recommended it. They were trying to resolve a major fatigue issue, and determined it was due to all the meds. I am now soooo much better using supplments and my BS is the best in 25 years...with almost no Humalog, and reducing levels of Lantus. You do have a more extensive list than mine....going to have to look at a few of those.

some past discussions

https://forum.tudiabetes.org/topics/vitamin-d-1
https://forum.tudiabetes.org/topics/supplement-question-s
https://forum.tudiabetes.org/topics/alpha-lipoic-acid
https://forum.tudiabetes.org/topics/diabetic-vitamins

Can you please share with me what exactly you did/ate? I am thinking that's what I need to do is go low or no carb. I crave sugar and have a large appetite. If you could help that would be great!! Thank You!!!

Sounds like you're producing some very pricey urine! Do you observe an effect of any of these on your BGs? Did you introduce them one at a time to see what the effects might be? If not, how do you decide what to take, and what not, given the huge number of choices out there?

D3 (cholecalciferol)
Ubiquinol (CoQ10)
R-ALA
Biotin
Fish Oil
Bilberry extract

Just a word of caution on herbal supplements: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/science/herbal-supplements-are-of...

Since many of us with Diabetes also have Celiac, the info that wheat can be hidden in these supplements, unlabelled, is rather disturbing.

D3(I live in Oregon....I'm not sure I remember what the sun looks like)
Magnesium(on a prescription medication that requires this supplement)

That's it! Though I am thinking of taking CoQ10 since I'm on a statin.

I try to eat a healthy, whole food based diet as much as possible so I figure I don't need much more.

I also take a few supplements, although not herbal: a daily vitamin pill, vitamin D3, calcium, glucosamine & chondroitin, bilberry & lutein, cranberry capsules, folic acid, B12 shots (for pernicious anemia), Hcl & enzymes (for damage done by pernicious anemia). My doctor looks at my supplement list whenever I see him, and since I don't have any side effects, I'm comfortable with my list.