What were the leading reasons you decided to go with the Snap pump?

Recently obtained the Asante Snap pump which arrived on Halloween... Was looking for a pump that was mostly affordable out of pocket if I had to go that route, but fortunately it was unique enough to be considered a pharmacy item not DME... Wanted a pump that was a bit more intuitive and had a bolus calculator. And the upgrades are affordable as well... Looking forward to the Diasend and Glooko integration as well and that the device is meter agnostic... Your not tied to a brand of glucose meter...

-J

Im liking it.. When I first saw it at a demo months ago I didn't seem impressed at first... But after playing with it for a bit.. it has a lot going for it.. They really have simplified the usual maintenance that comes with a pump.. they are a newish company and it seems they want to bring the initial cost of pumping down.. And the way they are handling the upgrades in a way that previous pumps could not get around. is definitely a plus.. Like that the functions are clearly worded on screen. and are descriptive, and the device is rather lightweight... Its a little longer in length than some pumps but that's because its using pen cartridges.. and the pump backs up the settings in the replaceable "pump body" which holds the cartridge and the pump mechanism.. No battery doors, no batteries, not really a lot of air bubbles to deal with since it uses sealed cartridges.. no filling from bottles... To some extend they are right, filling the cartridge and priming tubing takes most of the time.. No its not waterproof like a Ping/Vibe, but it is water resistant, so it doesn't care if your rained on but you do want to be disconnecting for a shower/swim..

Did you know steel sets can contain as much as 8 to 12 percent nickel so folks can be allergic to them as well?

Actually they are supposed to be changed every 24-48 hours...

They are new company to the diabetes device market, and didn't want to carry a lot of different sets (inventory) , so they started with the two most common types in two sizes and lengths.....

There are plans for other options later down the road, as well as a Novalog cartridge option...
I had problems with metal sets.. no matter how short, I always had them bleed out on me and thats still an occlusion..

The proprietary connector on the pump end didnt bother me, their connector is easier to hold and twist on.. also is a part of the occlusion/airbubble detection on the pump... Part of it is because the cartridge has to be pierced to access the insulin inside.. which is done in the connector as well... Medtronic uses a proprietary connector as well on all their current pumps.. which there isn't a need for.. this at least does something..

Might want to contact them and see if there's a metal needle option planned... or suggest it to them.

Being an idiot, I jumped into the pool on vacation and realized about a minute later that I still had my SNAP on. Using a four letter word, I jumped out and the pump indeed, was dead. It turned out that the pump body was dead but the controller was fine! I wonder if the controller is waterproof to some degree. No answer on that.

I also stepped into the shower one morning without taking the night belt off that I use. Interestingly, it did get a bit wet, but survived the liquid encounter unscathed.

I am a happy snapper!

Jeff

I went with the Snap after 5 days of my month long trial. It is light, quick and easy with great easily readable graphics. The mySnap has a screen which you can change the background color on. I designed one that is red and charcoal. It lets you know how much insulin you miss when in the shower etc… I wish it had a vibrate/silent feature and was waterproof. That was the only reason I had my Ping pump. Having a small glucose meter is also nice for a change. CGM receiver, glucometer, snack and a wallet all fit in a smaller purse now. Not a large diabetic kit.