What works for you?

About 10 years ago I weighed close to 300 pounds. I had very little success with diets. Over the years I slowly lost weight and weighed 268 (mainly by being more active) when I was diagnosed with Type 2 in 5/06. Faced with this serious condition, I finally had the motivation(?), no wrong word, the DETERMINATION, to lose weight.

My doctor gave me a diet, which told me that I could have so many ounces of this, and so many grams of that, etc. I threw it away. Instead, I relied on my brand new glucose meter, and changed my eating habits (forever). By monitoring and reducing my blood sugar, and eating healthier, I began losing weight. First I lost about 15 pounds, and since then I have been losing weight slowly. One week I will lose nothing, and then some weeks I lose 2 or 3 pounds. I think that this is the best way to lose weight, and I know that I will keep it off.

How did I change my eating habits?

No drinks with calories / sugar. I drink water, diet soda, and unsweetened (but flavored) tea. I cut out all alcohol, etc.

Breakfast is my biggest meal of the day. I normally have peanut butter toast, lite yogurt, and a banana. I stopped using JIF Peanut butter, and use Smart Balance Natural Peanut Butter instead. I find that natural peanut butter does taste as good, but a doctor told me to add honey to it. It is great! I sometimes substitute the PB toast with a couple of pieces of pork sausage or bacon.

My lunch normally consists of a sandwhich with mixed nuts, or mixed nuts and fruit. I try to keep lunch on the light side. I also normally have a handful of nuts a couple of times in the afternoons. Being on Metformin, I get hungry a couple of hours after eating.

Supper (or dinner) is normally my biggest challenge. I grew up where supper was the biggest meal of the day. I have had to really cut back in this area. I normally have a piece of meat about the size of a deck of cards, or a little larger, 2 to 3 vegetables, and fruit. I can pretty much eat anything, as long as I control the size of the portion.

During the evening I make it a point to eat some type of dessert. Normaly it is lite vanilla yogurt with mixed fruit. Reduced sugar ice cream, or pudding, also works. I used to eat “bad” snacks in the evening, so having a lite snack keeps me from cheating.

My wife and I walk a route of 1.8 miles about 3 to 4 times a week.

This “method” has worked well for me. In addition to losing 40+ pounds, I have lost 3 pants sizes, and two shirt sizes. It may take some time, but you can find the best method for you to lose weight.

Hi Travis:)
Thankyou for sharing. I know that as we move toward our goals we’ll be able to see good trends in our numbers. As well as better over all health and weight loss to help us keep it there:)
MeadowLark

My Mom died 5 1/2 years ago and I went into a depression… My weight sky-rocketed up to 318 lbs!! It took me about a year to finally snap out of it and begin my journey of weight loss. I have been doing weight watchers the past 4 years or so, and had lost to about 285… I was diagnosed with diabetes in February and since then, changing my eating habits even more, I have managed to loose down to 265… I didn’t really realize until I typed this that I’ve lost 20 lbs in about 5 months! WOOHOO!!!
Here’s a normal day of eating for me:
Breakfast:
2 slices of toast, using the 40 calorie bread
a little dab of margarine
either 2 pieces of bacon or about 2 oz of sausage
some kind of fruit

Lunch:
salad consisting of lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumbers, carrots, with basil and the new balsamic dressing in the spray bottle (it has no calories!)
3 oz of meat, usually chicken or turkey, sliced on top of my salad
100 calorie pack wheat thins or 6 reduced fat Ritz crackers or sometimes a lo-carb tortilla with it all rolled up inside
fruit, usually strawberries with sugar free whipped cream or a peach or grapes

Supper:
4 oz of meat, usually chicken or pork, or a hamburger patty
either small baked potato or hamburger bun
salad, same as lunch or some other vegetable
Fruit

For snacks, I have sugar free pudding or sugar free ice cream on a cone
I also sometimes have the 100 calorie pack cookies
I usually have 3 snacks a day, morning, afternoon, and bedtime

This all usually totals between 1500 and 1800 calories and about 150-180 carbs
It’s working for me, slow but sure! And I don’t feel a bit “deprived”!
It will be interesting to see what everyone else eats!

Good job Connie!

Wow! Connie:) That is great! Keep up the good work.
I’m just cutting things down portion wise until I can find a book that I lost. sigh…
Moving is a pain!
MeadowLark