What's your backup meter?

My insurance/Prescription online company and now my pump company keep offering me these “auto refill” deals. But then I’d definitely have things before I need them and they’d accumulate. I just go online and order stuff when I really need it but not so close I’m in danger of running out.

My main meter is the One Touch ultra mini I actually have a few due to coupons from the weekend paper every once in a while there is a freebie coupon for one touch. I also have a wavesense meter that is a great backup and the strips are cheap. After reading all the posts I may ask my endo about switching to the Bayer USB…

Right now, I am using my backup meter because my main meter died the other day! I use the AccuChek Aviva and kept an extra or a backup. I will get a new Aviva next week and probably start using the new one.

I also have the Ping remote but don’t buy the strips for that. I used the 10 free ones that came with the pump and my BS ran about 10 points higher than the Aviva so I decided not to switch.

Have you ever checked to see which meter was actually more accurate? Just curious.

I take my Avvia with me when I go to the lab to test it against the lab. I never checked the Ping though - I only had 10 strips and did not have any lab around when I got that. The Aviva always comes back close to the lab.

I’ll have to take my meters to the lab with me the next time I go for a blood draw. I’ll test both of them (the Ping Remote, and the OneTouch Mini and/or the Bayer Contour USB) and I’ll see how they all compare. I think I have to go this month anyways, so it’ll give me something to do while I sit there. :slight_smile:

This is commonly done at my endo’s office. When I go for blood work, they draw blood from my arm and the use a drop of that to test it on my meter. There is a larger range of error than they find acceptable because blood from a vein has no interstitial fluid, but the meters are programmed to read blood sugars from finger pricks. But if my meter was way off then we would know this way. I like having this check up every few months.

I used to always have back up meters, but now I only have the one. In Hungary, test strips are much cheaper than the USA, but meters are still full price (hard to come by free ones, except the government financed one every 6 years).

their packaging sucks…that is why I too only use for keytones-- and it doesn’t talk to my pump–

I regularly use an Accu-Chek Compact Plus. As a back up I use an older Compact Plus. The only time I use my backup is when I take a trip somewhere. Just in case my regular one doesn’t work properly. They both take the Accu-Chek drums as the test strips which I like .

Such a waste if you ask me. Why do we feel the need to individually wrap each testing strip? Such a waste when you consider things like I test 10+ times a day. That’s a looot of garbage.

Well, I’m sure I could make some arrangements to get you a “free” meter from over here if there was ever a need for one. I’m assuming that in Hungary they use mmol as well.

and if your hands are arthritic in the least–troublesome to open

I hadn’t even considered that Denise - that’s a good point as well!

i use an optium Xceed meeter never really had a problem with it , I do get it changed about once a year so use old one as backup . Hopefully going on a pump soon so maybe have to change to a new meter

There was a onetouch link meter 12 years ago? I thought it just came out within the past few years ago.

I have 2x One Touch Ultra Minis. I had an UltraLink that went with my pump but UltraStupidly took off on my bike w/o closing the seat pouch all the way and lost it. I thought about getting another one but the Mini does everything. Occasionally I’ll test them both at the same time and they are always within a point of each other and go ‘ha ha, you wasted another strip’ at me. I also have a Bayer USB that I got recently through a free offer someone posted here (maybe in this thread?) that I thought would be smaller but it’s not too much smaller than the OTUM. I will get it out of the box and play around with it. I doubt I’ll change as it would require at least a few calls/ conversations to engineer a change.

i use a mini…but my pump came with a onetouch ultrlink thats now my ‘backup’

i didn’t have one for the first 5 1/2 years…lol

Yeah, I’ve been meaning to check out the Bayer Contour USB as it looks nice but its not available for free here in Canada. The best offer that seems to be available is $40 off if you purchase 100 test strips to go with it. That still leaves the meter at $99 + Tax (another 13%) which is absurd.

Why oh why would any company think that I’d spend $113 (Meter) + $100 (Test Strips) so that I can start using their product and be stuck purchasing more strips to keep using it?

I use my OneTouch Ping as my main meter.

I have an Ultra Mini and an Ultra Smart here at home as backups, and another Ultra Mini at work as a back up.

My every day meter is AccuChek mobile, my backup is the AccuChek aviva nano: both very good.