What's Your Favorite High Blood Sugar Stress Buster?

High BLOOD SUGAR (yes all caps, because that’s how those numbers look and feel…ugh!) can be extremely frustrating. Especially those moments, days or weeks where blood sugars just seem to be “Stuck”! I think I need to re look at my stress busting plan, because lately, even a zen garden isn’t helping. Reading through the article below reenergized some ideas, but… What are your secrets? What tips and tools can you share? What ideas and methods do we use in our wonderful community to Stress Less and have Less Stress! Please Share!

5 Tips to Combat the Stress of High Blood Sugar
Alanna Stockley | March 31, 2016

When I was diagnosed with diabetes, the first thing I learned was to inject. I practiced by poking saline into an orange. Then I learned about complications of high blood sugar. My doctor explained how dangerous excess glucose was to my body. He told me about blindness, amputations, kidney failure, etc. I remember that he tried to use child-friendly language to explain very frightening things, and he told me that if I didn’t care for myself (with the help of my parents), my future would be very dark and difficult.

As years went by, I was a normal kid with diabetes. Sometimes I would sneak candy and chocolate, just for the sake of fitting in with my friends. My high blood sugars were often met with looks of sorrow from my parents, and then there were my own feelings of guilt, shame, and fear. Every time a number that was out of range flashed on my screen, I imagined glimpses of my future with no legs or eyesight.

The older I got, and the more I began to understand how diabetes complications can happen, the less I worried about them. However, sometimes when my blood sugar is high, I still can’t shake those feelings of failure, despair, fear, and anger. But I work hard to avoid the the stress and shame that sometimes come with managing blood sugar. Here are my top 5 tips to combat the mental stress that can accompany high blood sugars.

1. Recognize that it is only a number
We need to be able to separate our belief that an “in-range” number is an epic achievement, and that a high or low is a failure. The number that shows on your glucose monitor is merely a starting point for your treatment at that moment. The best advice I have ever been given about high blood sugars involved only these four simple words: correct and move on.

2. Get moving
Moving your body will help lower your blood sugar. You can take a simple walk around the block, or engage in an intense weight resistance workout. Whatever works for you, do it. When my blood sugar is high I usually short of breath and nauseated. All of these symptoms tend to melt away when I take my dog for a walk.

3. Forgive
Forgive yourself: You may have missed a bolus, forgotten to take your morning long-acting insulin, under counted carbohydrates, forgotten to connect your pump, or were just too burned out to care for days. No matter what the reason behind the number, you need to forgive yourself.

Forgive your family: your family and friends may freak out a bit at high blood sugar. Let them experience their fear. They’re allowed to worry, and freak out. Unfortunately, it is also up to you to kindly remind them that their reactions are not helpful in a time that is difficult.

4. Journal it
This one may be new to you! I track how I feel when my blood sugar is high, and what may have caused it to be high. After I have several experiences, I review my notes and try to learn how to recognize my symptoms at an earlier stage, rather than catching them at a level that has caused a general sickly feeling in my body. My high blood sugar journal can be a pain in the butt, and I will be the first to recognize that it’s hard to look back on a log of “failures.” However, let’s revisit #1 right now… Move on.

5.Talk About it
Talk to your friends, the diabetes online community, your social media accounts… shout it out loud that you are feeling glum because your body’s chemistry is off and it sucks. It’s a part of diabetes, and the more people that talk about their experiences with distress when blood sugars are high, the more we can come to terms with the feelings of shame or failure. There’s absolutely no shame in having a high blood glucose reading.

Alanna Stockley was diagnosed with type one diabetes two weeks before her 7th birthday on April 11, 1990. She grew up in Nova Scotia, Canada attending diabetes camps and loving the outdoors. As an adult she has been a part of Canada’s national youth diabetes advocacy committee, and has spoken on various topics including loving your imperfect body and being a patient in today’s medical world.

_She is now a patient experience consultant and writer for various publications. In her spare time she likes to hike, geocache, fish, cook and hang with her husband and dog. _
_You can see Alanna’s personal blog at http://www.lifeont1.com

2 Likes

To reduce the stress my daughter’s particularly sticky high BGs cause for me, rage-bolusing seems to do the trick…

For her, I just keep reminding her that it’s not her fault.

2 Likes

I go running. Not that it makes me particularly happy, but it feels like i am doing something against it and it usually works to make me more insulin sensitive and hence correcting is easier.

3 Likes

Bicycle riding of course

3 Likes

Rage bolus works for me… Currently 20.6 (370) and have been this high for the past two hours… The problem with exercise is you’re only supposed to do it if you’re mildly high, not if you’re super high and may have a site problem.

2 Likes

Though, the downside of the rage bolus is that, after spending hours high, I’m now up at 2:30 am with a blood sugar of 2.7 (48). :slight_frown:

@Jen, just curious… When you are higher than normal and “rage” bolus, are you more insulin resistant? I seem to need more than triple the amount of units at times than I would if I used my normal sensitivity ratio.
Just curious. Thanks! Ugh. Darn rage bloused! Take care of that low!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Love the bicycle!! Ride on!!

That emotional and mental piece of “feeling” like we’re at least doing something is huge…

1 Like

I know everyone is different, but I have had some minor luck with very, very mild exercise even when high, though I’d probably wait until closer to 300 than 400. Sometimes I’ll just lay on the bed and do leg lifts. I’ll do forward lifts while on my back, then roll over and do back lifts while on my stomach, then side lifts on my sides. I’ll even sit on the side of the bed and then lay back with my legs hanging over the edge of the bed, knees bent, and just lift the knee, doing a sort of unweighted leg curl, and also lay on my stomach and do curls by lifting from the knee. I do the exercises very slow and controlled, making sure to really engage the muscles.

If you have any resistance bands you can also do seated arm exercises like putting the band under your feet and doing bicep curls, or stretching it parallel to the ground in a couple of different ways to work your arms.

For some reason, when I’m using my leg muscles in particular, my body really seems to suck up glucose. At the very least, I’m engaged, and not wanting to check my meter every 15 minutes.

1 Like

I think that I might have insulin resistance when I’m high. Often I’ll be high, high, high but then as soon as I start dropping and get below a certain point (it seems to be 6-8 mmol/L), I start dropping fast and then crash. It’s so hard to tell, though, because lately I seem to have problems with infusion sets, and so I wonder about whether it’s just a site not absorbing well. I’m going to ask my endocrinologist for some Lantus to try for a week or two just out of curiosity (I just downloaded my Dexcom and my control lately is terrible…).

Thanks for the reply Jen. I am having a rough go lately as well…dia hearts unite!
As far as the site question… I got so frustrated at never knowing which was the culprit… I switched to something called untethered pumping and it helped me very much! Maybe more mentally than anything… But I really felt safe! I have moved to Tresiba instead of the pump for awhile… We shall see!!:blush:

Have a wonderful day!
Cynthia :hibiscus:

2 Likes

What’s that?

Actually, untethered is a GREAT IDEA!!! I like that much better than just switching over to Lantus, since my basal rates are definitely not flat throughout the day. So it would take out the uncertainty of site issues while allowing the flexibility of the pump.

Years ago I developed problems with being allergic to the plastic cannula sets. I switched to metal sets and they worked well for years, but lately I’ve been reacting even to them, especially on days I try to go without an antihistamine. So, it’s so difficult to know whether I go super high after 12 hours because I’m reacting to the set or because I’ve eaten something or because of my thyroid or because of who-knows-what.

I’m going to ask my endocrinologist about it—thanks for the idea! (I actually have mentioned it here before, I think, but then totally forgot about it!)

@Laddie is the “untethered” expert (imo)

1 Like

Thanks, Marie, this is a very interesting approach.

1 Like

When my BG levels are high, I take a hot shower after bolusing for 10 minutes. That usually helps brings me down to a normal range without having to do the “rage” bolus. It also ensures that I get clean and smell fresh :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I try to not rely on too much correction when it’s high, as to not gain weight. I prefer comfort measures. I gave up coffee due to the caffeine, which spiked my sugar. I drink chamomile tea and peppermint tea from this local coffee shop. Chamomile tea is great for anxiety and peppermint tea is great for the muscle soreness. I mix them together and it makes a great drink. I drink plenty of water during a high (like above 225 or so) and walk. Usually don’t feel good enough to jog or run. A warm shower makes me feel better too. I will correct as needed if I don’t have a lot of active insulin running, but usually it just comes down on its own.

A lot of times when your blood sugar’s are high it’s because of inflammation in the body. Along with inflammation comes cortisol steroids that get pushed in your body to deal with the stress. Cortisol steroids make you insulin resistant that’s why when you are very high it takes quite some time to come down,as a matter fact an angry bolus only makes it worse and is very bad for the body. It’s better to take small incremental doses every hour until you are where you want to be it’s not very good for the heart when you’re releasing keytones into the bloodstream to shoot 15 to 20 units of insulin into the body. I learned all this when I was in the hospital for three days diabetic ketoacidosis.

1 Like

I love this term “angry” bolus!