Where are the pumpers?

Pump model: Animas 1250. Wish it was the Ping.
Pumping since: November 2006. Wish I would have started sooner.
Overall experience: LOVE IT!!! The .025 basal capibility is great because I am very insulin sensitive. I love the fact that I can eat when and if I want to and can correct highs with the push of a couple buttons instead of pulling out a needle.
Recommend: For sure. I would recommend it to everyone. You will love the freedom it gives you.

Hi Rainbowgoddess,

My companies insurance will cover up to 6300 of an insulin pump and 345 in supplies. I live in Ontario and they are now covering insulin pumps for adults and 2400 in supplies for the year. The government organization is Assisted Device Program (ADP), you should look into the BC government site. I heard other provinces were going to start a similar program. Some already have one for children.

Pump model: Medtronic Minimed 722
Since when you’ve been pumping: Summer of 06
Overall experience: NEVER GOIN BACK TO THE NEEDLE!!!
Would you recommend it to other: I sure would! I now can take my insulin whenever and WHERE ever I want, even on the back of a motorcycle!!

pump model is minimed 722 pumping since 2008 AMAZING!!! love it would not ever go back to mdis. YES! TWO THUMBS UP!. oops ! sorry for shouting but its meant to be heard

oh! yeah Manny pumps name too is Pumpy and color royal purple

raises hand

-Pump model: Medtronic Minimed Paradigm.
-Since when you’ve been pumping: 2002, when I was 15
-Overall experience: I don’t ever forsee myself being on shots again.
-Would you recommend it to others: Yes! I felt so much freer and more in control.

Pump Model:Animas 2020

Pumping Since:February 2008

Overall Experience: I love the pump.It keeps my A1 low.On injections I always ran about 8.0.My doctor allowed me to be a little high because I would try for tighter control and I would have alot of Hypoglycemic episodes.Since on the pump my A1 levels have been 6.3 and 6.5.

Recommend: I would recommend the pump for all type 1’s.

1. Animas 2020
  2. Pumping since 2002
  3. It would be difficult to start using needles again.
  4. I would definitely recommend using a pump. I have a sister who has been a T1 since 1971 and have encouraged her to start using a pump.

-Pump model: Animas 1250 Will upgrade next year.
-Since when you’ve been pumping: November 1991
-Overall experience: I NEEEEED my pump. Love it.
-Would you recommend it to others: Yes. I think it is easier to use than a cellphone.

When I started pumping, I was dosing with fast acting insulin everytime I ate. Also took two shots of longer acting insulin. I think I was taking Semi-lente and Lente. I could feel the swings of my insulin and sugar. The first 24 hours I was on the pump I felt better. My doctor was surprised that I felt an improvement so soon, but I no longer had that long acting insulin going up and down. I no longer had that underlying nausea and I had way more energy.
I also love that I can customize my basal rate. I have been on Lantus for a few months a couple of years ago. It was okay but when I was able to get a new pump, I again felt better. My employers seemed to like me better with my pump (and really liked me better once I got a continuous bg meter).
I also feel that it has been a bonus to my health. I’m T1 for 38 years now. No major complications. I also think it is good to keep up with the newest technologies.
Unfortunately, not everyone can afford a pump. I’ve been blessed to be insured under my husband’s work policy. I pray for a day of equal access to healthcare for everybody.

hey manny,
my pump is the medtronic paradigm 722
have been pumping since june 07
i will never go back to living on the needle, not only do you reduce injections, was taking 8 - 10 -per day as now just 1 every 2-3 days!!! my a1c has never been more stable and bordering my target of 6.0 than at any time since diagnoses,it is comfortable , convenient and i can manipulate my intake at any time i need, i feel as if i am fortunate to be able to have soooo much control over my care and health i do not see why others are hesitant to get on board or “jump on the pump” as my team likes to say.
i think my comments do show a mild reccomendation to the pump lifestyle.
john

I’m a new pumper, about 6 weeks now. I have the Minimed 722 Paradigm. I wish I could have had a year ago. In all fairness, there are times when it can be tad inconvenient, but the pros outweigh the cons by so much their not even worth mentioning. This pump has been the greatest thing to happen to me since I was first diagnosed. My blood sugar is closer to normal now than it has been in over a years. My BG was so high I didn’t even realize how bad I felt until I started on this pump. Within 24 hours of starting this pump my blood sugar was down to 135 and I haven’t seen that in some time. Now its consistently down. I feel better and I have more energy. In other words, you might say I’m sold–heart and soul!

Pump Model: One Touch Ping
Since When: Just started
Overal Experience: Too new to say
Recommend to others: Yes

Omnipod
Since Oct 10th, 2008.
Overall experience: I thought I was doing fairly well with MDI’ing. Boy was I wrong. My numbers have been great and I’m still doing Basal Testing with my CDE.
Would I recommend it to others? ABSOLUTELY YES. Especially if you are capable of programming a VCR, DVR, TiVo, digital clock…you should be pumping.

Pump model: OMNI POD
-Since when you’ve been pumping: AUG 2008
-Overall experience: I LOVE IT, AND MY NEXT A1C TEST WILL SHOW HOW GOOD IT IS FOR ME
-Would you recommend it to others: I WOULD IT IS SIMPLE ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND AND USE, MANY PLACEMENT OPTIONS. GREAT

Pump model: omnipod-
Since when you’ve been pumping: July 15th 2008
-Overall experience: It’s definately changed the way i think about diabetes in general. and in 2 months my A1C went from a 10 to a 6.5 =) It’s just helped me refocus and get in better control
-Would you recommend it to others: definately. there has been some controversy about how reliable it is. But I have been using it for almost 4 months now, and it has been the best thing in my diabetes life by far! Its simple to learn and simple to use.

Pump Model: Animas IR1250
Pumping since: Nov. 2005
Overall Experience: Better control of my BG, better a1c’s (low 5’s), no more hypoglycemic episodes… LOVE IT!
Would I recommed it: Sure would, not just an Animas pump, but pumping in general… whatever model you choose.

I’ve had nothing but great customer service from Animas when it comes to my pump. I’ve had to have my pump replaced a few different times. I dropped my original pump on a concrete patio (it slipped out if my pocket) and Animas replaced it within 2 days. The second one cracked at the battery cap. The third one also cracked at the battery cap. I’m on my 4th pump now with no problems, yet. So far, cracking at the battery cap is the only flaw in their pump that I’ve experienced. I’ve even been especially careful when replacing the battery and cap to not tighten it down too much and I’ve still had it crack on me. But overall I’ve been completely happy with my pump. I like that it has a built-in carb database that all I have to do is pick out what I’m eating and how much of it and it counts that carbs for me. I can also connect the pump to my laptop and customize the food list, add to it, and download my card intake vs. insulin doses. I can then import my meter’s information into the program and track my BG too. I can run reports that I then email to my endo prior to a visit. He loves it too! :wink:

Pump Model: Medtronic Paradigm 722
Pumping Since: July 2006
Overall Experience:I love this thing because it saved my life!
Recommend:Absolutely! Anybody who wants more freedom should have a pump. I now have the freedom to eat or not to eat! I no longer “Feed” my insulin! No more 8 needle sticks a day! And if i want to swim, I just take it off and cap it!I don’t recommend it to non-compliant diabetics.

Pump Model: Omnipod
Since you’ve been pumping: may 2008
Overall experience: I love the Omnipod. I wouldn’t change my 4 pod failures for MDI’s if you paid me. I am a little upset because I didn’t think of it. I am curious to see how they add the CGM to it.

I would recommend pumping or podding to anyone :slight_smile:

SO PUMP MR. OMNI POD ON YOUR ARM IF YOU PLAN ON GETTING IN THE HOT TUB AND THERE YOU GO, YOUR SAFE SO SOME HOT TUBBING!!! I LOVE MY ONMI POD…

Pump model: Medtronic Minimed 722
Pumping since: Since 6 years ago.
Overall Experience: Beats shots hands down.
Recommend: The pump is great…no more sticking needles into my self numerous times a day!