Where Do You Get Your Meds, Supplies and Accessories?

I have all of our (mine & my daughter’s) testing and pump supplies sent from Neighborhood Diabetes Shoppe in Woburn Ma-
the supplies are always here the next day & they are a great bunch of people!!

Hi Everyone! I get my meds at the local Pharmacy. My pump supplies and test strips comes from Minimed cuz that’s what my insurance wants me to go thu…(Medicare and Medicaid)

Insulin, glucagon, + other meds I get from the local pharmacy-infusion sets, test strips, cartridges I get from the mail order place.(Caremark) I could get other meds there, but its cheaper to get the other stuff through the 30 day, local pharmacy route.

My health insurance plan has the option to use the Walgreens mail order pharmacy. I’ve used it for years and it’s been very convenient. I love that they fill the script for a 3 month supply, and I only have to refill 4x a year. They use cold packs with the insulin.
I used to visit the pharmacy for a large grocery store here in state, similar to a Target or Walmat, but there was always 1-2 times a year where I would get stuck at the counter for 30+ minutes about some insurance hold up. I don’t miss that at all.

I’ve used http://www.diabeticpromotions.com and American Diabetes Wholesale both and had very good luck with both.

A while back, Nicole recommended in this discussion that we check out APlus Medical Supply. She was so right!!!

Here is what they claim:

Are you tired of…

1. Paying out-of-pocket for your diabetic supplies?
  2. Filling out confusing forms?
  3. Making endless trips to the pharmacy in all kinds of weather?
  4. Waiting for insurance companies to reimburse you?

Or are you on a program now that…

1. Does not send you enough supplies for your needs?
  2. Does not offer the top of the line quality products you are entitled to?
  3. Overcharges you on co-pays?
  4. Does not provide the customer service or product support you require?

They are awesome and they truly deliver on the promise: bottom line, they offer GREAT (I mean GREAT) customer service and they charge you no co-payments.

I hope they don’t turn into a Liberty Medical with growth because that’s where I used to get my prescriptions.

Hi

I use a local Wallgreens - very happy with the service. Everything can be tracked on line. I think there could be a better way to start up the RX tracking on line then going through the mail with the password, but, you only need it once so even that isnt too much of a bother. Ordering refils on line is AMAZING! and Wallgreens seem to be everywhere so it is very easy.

If you have insurance and can get a 3 month supply from mail order then that is the way to go! We never run out of supplies and you get 3 months worth of supplies for the price of 2! It’s great. You should check with your insurance. It’s a common benefit that most insurance companies provide. Before we started mail-ordering we always went to Walgreens. Mainly because they are EVERYWHERE!!

I use CCS Medical for all my supplies.

I get insulin (Humalog and Lantus) direct from the manufacturers through their patient assistance program. My syringes are not that expensive (from Wal-Mart). Neither are my blood sugar test strips and meter (also from Wal-Mart). Though they may not be as accurate as other meters, the Reli-On meter is the most affordable on strips that I have found. My endocrinologist (current) is ok with this meter. He would prefer me to be on the insulin pump though and I hope that will be possible through ipump.org which I just found out about. I start meeting with my new endocrinologist June 2nd. Soonest I could get in.

I use Edgepark as well and have had really good experiences! They handled all the insurance business well.

www.edgepark.com

Just a note to add to this discussion, if you do not have prescription coverage, then if you order your supplies by MAIL, it counts as medical supplies (not prescriptions), which usually has better insurance coverage. In Michigan, insurance companies are required to cover 80% of mail order test strips (which qualifies as medical equipment since it is not bought from a pharmacy).

Also, from another discussion on TuDiabetes, I learned of the Maxima meter available from Hocks Pharmacy which is very accurate and much less expensive. It doesn’t have all the fancy features (not able to download, no fancy lights, not compact etc). But if cheap test strips are what you need, check it out:
Meter
Test strips

I use Fifty50 pharmacy to get everything diabetes related, all supplies,insulin, and even fun medic-alerts due to their mission of donating half of their proceeds to diabetes research!!! Plus, they have great customer service and you can order off line or call in an order~~~~

Meds and supplies: Shoppers Drugmart. My pharmacist is a Certified Diabetes Educator, and provides fab service and advice.

Accessories: The Diabetes Mall at http://www.diabetesnet.com/