Which brand of CGMs are compatible with Medtronic pumps?

I am waiting for the newest Medtronic pump to become available to Medicare patients, late in 2017, I think, but want the best CGM to go with it, if they communicate to each other. The new pump is supposed to be able to shut off for lows and give more insulin m if your BGs go high or are trending. Do I have to "buy the whole package-- pump + CGM from Medtronic?

Thanks!!!

Yes, you have to buy the whole 670G Medtronic system if you want to get the benefits of the artificial pancreas programming. You can currently buy the 630G pump independently of the CGM but once again you do not get an integrated CGM and threshold suspend. You can use a Dexcom CGM along with it but there is no integration whatsoever.

I do not believe that there are any plans at Medtronic to ever integrate with any CGM systems except its own.

1 Like

Thanks, Laddie, that makes sense.

If it does become available to those of us over 65, it will make it actually cheaper for Medicare since we will use fewer test strips! Right now I use 8 per day.

I have had the best support from Medtronic for the pumps I have had from them. Customer support is superb.

1 Like

At the moment pump and CGM manufacturers just ignore all calls for interoperability. The do not care to establish any standard for data exchange and communication protocols. They do not even offer or agree on a standardized xml format for free data exchange.

Standards would allow to use the devices and services in combination you really like and prefer. But this means competition - and competition is the last thing these companies want. The prefer to lock you in on their technology.

The only rescue are patient driven projects like loop and openaps. They will show again and again what is really possible with todays IT knowledge. The rebels will defeat the empire in the long run. Sorry that this is more a rant than helpful.

4 Likes

I think your assessment of the continuing lack of interoperability in the pump/CGM market is correct. Medtronic remains committed to its CGM as the only one to communicate with its pump. If their CGM ever starts to truly challenge Dexcom’s and Abbott’s better performance, they might be able to succeed.

I think the medical data I generate is mine, since I am its author! Patients need to weigh in on these issues so that the D-tech companies seriously consider our point of view.