Which pump should I upgrade to from Animas Ping?

Hi Laura,

Is there something about the old pump that make it difficult to continue to use? I’ve been fortunate with my insurance coverage in the past to be able to get a new pump when the old one goes out of warranty. I’m curious what goes bad with an Animas when it gets older. Is the screen a lot dimmer, hard to read?

I’m one my second Ping. I find Animas pumps to be dependable and durable, even if they look like 1980s pagers!

I dont know. I hear lots of people saying they are using old old pumps lately, and they seem to be doing fine. Is it a myth that they even die when the warranty is up? I just want want to secure one when I have the funds, just in case.
Need tax returns and our CPA does those in the summer, so I have to wait for them.

I’ve just reactivated my old Animas 2020 - it’s out of warranty and still works almost fine. the screen is almost completely dark even indoors. I’m trying it out to see if I still like it as much as I remember liking it (so far, I think I do) in advance of choosing a new pump. But it’s still functional.

I boxed up my Medtronic Revel, got the Ping back out and I’m really glad I did. Tried the Roche combo, service was excellent but not the pump for me. Too bad their incentives were better than what I have to work with now.

I can’t imagine the prices going down. Pump prices have climbed steadily. Name brand strips have never dropped in price, to my knowledge. Sure there are now some bargain store brand strips, but if you look at historical prices of LifeScan strips, as just ONE example, you’ll see the prices just keep rising over time. I would imagine only if a new player, that swam against the tide of ever-increasing prices, emerges, CGM will be unaffordable for most people without good insurance coverage.

1 Like

I too was a Snap user, and I found it to fit my needs the best of any of the pumps - I considered it to be the most feature advanced on the market for diabetics, and not necessarily the most technologically advanced (I do not care for touch screens if it means having extra taps to confirm delivery). Before the Snap I tried the tslim (I was 4 years out of warranty with my Cozmo). When I tried it at the d-ed office I took it out in the sun and could barely read the screen - but it was doable. When I got mine I could not read it at all, even when shaded with my hand. I met with the sales rep and he had three pumps to compare with mine, all different manufacturing dates. All 4 had differences in screen brightness. Since I do a lot of hiking I did not feel the pump would work for me, and to their credit they took it back. After the Snap I looked at the Vibe, and since they offered an exchange I went with that pump. The cgm on the pump I felt was not as good as the Dexcom receiver: the screen is smaller, harder to see outdoors, and lagged behind the D receiver. So I still use the D receiver it is small enough not to bother me having to carry it in my pocket (yes I know for women this is an issue).

When exercising I carry pump and cgm in a SPI belt.

You don’t have to let the insulin warm up before loading it into a cartridge. However, cold fluids hold more gas than do warm fluids - think about cold vs. warm soda! So the potential danger is if you generate a lot of bubbles or shake the cold vial before loading you may get small bubbles accumulating on the sides of the warm cartridge that are hard to see and dislodge (think of champagne!).

BTW, Smith Medical had the first insulin pump in early 1980s (slightly larger than a deck of cards), then took a break before coming out with the Cozmo.

Mike
T1D 1964
Pumper 1993

1 Like

I’m still using my Cozmo - now approaching 4 years out of warranty. I’ll be getting a new pump next November since I bought a Medtronic - used if for a few months and then put it back in the drawer in total frustration - in November 2012. It is sad to think that I’m still not going to have a pump that I like as much as the one I’m using now so many years after the Cozmo was pulled from the market.

Maurie

Snap orphan here, too. On the advice of my doctor and former Asante rep, I tried Omnipod first after Asante closed, but was not happy with the results and found it somewhat uncomfortable - though they do seem to have a progressive approach moving forward. Since I still qualified for the trade-in, I went to the Vibe and like it a lot better – though it definitely is NOT as good, IMO, as the Snap! :frowning: Like you, I use the Dexcom receiver still most of the time, though not so much for accuracy, but for the louder alarms. I’ve also started using xDrip for Share and a Adroid Watch, so the receiver is with me most of the time.

If Bigfoot changes its mind and decides to sell the Snap as a pump, they’ve got my business…

I am starting my Animas Vibe with Dexcom early next week. Thank you for the xDrip mention. That looks really cool as I have the LG Urbane smart watch.

Bob

1 Like

Been anjoying the Vibe (as much as I can enjoy an insulin pump…) and the Dexcom - xDrip - Androidwear connection :slightly_smiling: Good luck with it!

my is Mixed, i have the, Omnipod, & i love it, i don’t like, tubing, & not being, waterproof is one, what i love about it,

is it is, waterproof, no tubing, & i love the, Customer service, they are always nice, & just fabulous !, & the meter that is built in, i love that,.

@Terry4
My daughter’s Ping was 5 years old when she switched to t:slim 14 months ago. During the 4 years of warranty with the Ping, she had 6 replacements. The last one will be 3 years old in May. The internal battery was failing (settings were lost at every battery change) when she switched. We still have it, but I have no idea if it’s still functional. I’ve seen the screen dim & take on a pinkish tint with some of her friends’ Pings, but those were all out of warranty by the time it started. My daughter’s was not as bright as when new, but it wasn’t bad enough to matter. It also didn’t have the pink tint.

Despite our multiple issues, I still miss the Ping. It’s not as sleek or modern looking as the t:slim, but I was comfortable with it the first time I held it during the demo.

I’m surprised you still have positive feelings about the Ping with that failure rate. I’m on my second Ping warranty and had at least one warranty replacement during each warranty period. I just took out my seven-year old Ping that I stashed as a backup. I powered it up and the screen is very dim and pinkish. It appears marginally usable in a pinch.

I would have to go through an adjustment period if I changed brands. You get really used to how it works and can operate the buttons pretty quickly. My current pump will be out of warranty later this year. I’m not anxious to get an immediate replacement. I’m going to need some large jump in the technology to motivate me. We’ll see.

the Ping was a pump, i was looking at,. & i like it, but it was not cover,.

The first replacement was due to a software error found during a call to tech support about a totally different issue, actually only a question. They found a 60,000u bolus in the uploaded file & declared it a software glitch. 2 of the replacements were due to issues with the buttons. The rubber cover loosened & eventually tore on one, & a button stopped working on the other. 2 were issues with constant loss of prime. 1 was due to a “call for service” message.

But I could read the screen without my glasses! Lol!

I still blame our run of luck with the Ping on the negative vibes surrounding the location of our pump start. We met with the trainer in a dialysis center.

I have the opposite problem. My insurance only gives waivers to One Touch. What happens when you use Omnipod (freestyle)? or accucheck? I guess they think one size fits all in diabetic care…