Which pump should I upgrade to from Animas Ping?

What’s that about @DrBB? I’ve never run into that nor had any problems pulling the vial out of the fridge, loading a reservoir and firing it off? I work to minimize my TWOI (time without insulin…) as much as possible?

1 Like

It’s supposed to minimize bubbles developing and causing voids. I’ve had a lot of trouble with that and letting the vial get to room temp seems to help. Another thing to like about pre-filled cartridges–I never had bubble problems with the Snap.

I’ve been pumping since the 90’s. Years ago, using the pre-Paradigm pumps, which used Luer lock type reservoirs I had bubbles quite often, despite attempts to minimize them. With my many Paradigm model pumps, that has been a thing of the past, so even at the end of 3 days of using a set, there are still no visible bubbles, but I think thats because of how I’ve learned to prevent them. I wish I had the time to make a video of how I do that as I see so many people that despite owning a MM pump, they complain that they have bubbles. It is easy for me to load a reservoir with insulin and quickly purge any air so that there aren’t even any champagne bubbles–and I do the whole set change thing in under 3 minutes. it’s about technique. too hard to describe but easy to perform.

What’s with waiting for insulin to warm up? I leave my “working” bottle at room temp for many weeks. It isn’t going to “self destruct” at room temp, even if left out for 2 MONTHS. It is true that room temp insulin gives fewer bubbles for pumpers, so leave it out if you don’t want to wait to warm it up at set-change time.

1 Like

I just got the Animas Vibe on Saturday… and so far so good. And I first I want to say something about the insulin waiting period. I’ve never ever ever ever done that. And honestly I’ve not had any occlusion issues - except on the tSLIM’s lure lock design. There was ALWAYS a bubble I had to fight to get out.

No on the Animas I’ve had two changes so far. And I have to say I’ve found an almost SNAP process to it. First I like the Syringe design that goes right in to the pump. But what I did last night was when loading the syringe I pulled the plunger pack just a bit past the 2.0 mark. Now when I put the syringe (Insulin tube) back in the pump I screwed the black cap on… and it shot that extra insulin right out the line just like the Snap… no bubbles - nothing. I did finished up the process and had 198units left. No priming needed other than the cannula. AWESOME. I have the sight change down to a mere couple of minutes now.

3 Likes

Ditto for me on the refrigerated insulin going direct to reservoir. Never had a problem. [When I hit the ‘reply’ to the post, under it, it never posts under the intended post so am not sure how to do that.]

DrBB, I don’t get bubbles. I use quikset for what that is worth.

I used to do that back when I was on R/NPH but I was having so many problems when I first started on the pump that I needed to eliminate possible degradation as a factor. But probably I should revisit that decision. The pre-filled reservoirs made things simpler in other ways as well–the real selling point for me was that they lasted for two site changes, so every other one was just a matter of sticking in a new infusion set and clipping your tube onto it. All that is moot now of course.

In any case I’d gladly watch a video of your bubble-elimination technique if you ever get around to making it!

Well, what can I say–it’s what the DBE and pump trainer taught when I was being shown how to use it, and since bubbles were the bane of my existence when I was starting out–you can see the voids in the tubing, and I was getting all kinds of mystery spikes–I do everything I can to keep them to a minimum. It’s been less of a problem as I’ve gotten more experienced of course.

I started pumping in 2000, when the minimed 508 came out. When it comes to bubbles, I have never had that prob. When I do my reservoir, I fill it to like 180, then pull the reservoir to an air gap on top (after flicking it) let it stay for 20 minutes, then take out the air gap flick it again , then create an air gap for about a minute, close it, and start the change. And I don’t get an air gap. I have stuck with minimed for 15, I’d like to try another pump, but the different faults each of them, I’ll stick with minimed.

The Vibe doesn’t come with an integrated meter, so you can use whatever meter you want if you go that route (if that effects your decision at all) :stuck_out_tongue:

My method is somewhere between these two. When I have my wits about me … which is not always the case, of course … I fill a new reservoir from the refrigerated vial sometime during the 24 hours before my old reservoir runs out. Then I leave the reservoir out to warm up to room temperature and prime out the bubbles when I switch to a new infusion set.

1 Like

I figured out the overfilling process too! However you need to be careful. I kept getting pump-not-primed errors. When I phone the Animas Helpline about the first thing they asked was if I was doing this. Apparently the pump is designed to expect to prime 10 units. If you prime less, you may then get a pump-not-primed error message. I use the long tubing, so I still overfill the cartridge (which takes about 22 units to prime if you fill the cartridge in the approved manner), but I make sure I prime at least 10 units.

I agree that the Animas cartridges seem to accumulate far fewer bubbles compared to the Medtronic reservoirs,

Joel

This is how I’m doing it with no errors so far. I’m on my 3rd change now.

1 - I’m using the Homolog vials that I had for the SNAP Pump. I’m keeping the prescription the same for now. The pen cartridges have no bubbles in them from what I’ve seen. I use them right out of the fridge.

I insert the Animas syringe cartridge needle and just draw back till I hit 200. Then use something like pencil and tap the syringe hard a few times checking to see there are bubbles. Then I insert about 1/4 of the insulin back into the vail to push out the air if any. Then draw back just slightly past 200 but not out.

2 - I put the cartridge into the Animas Vibe and then prepare for the auto prime. I screw the black cap on. And in doing so insulin shoots through the line and out the inset needle. I then select prime and do 1 unit.

3 - Then I put the inset on and prime the cannula 0.5 units. I have 199 units on the cartridge.

So I’m going to continue this and hope to not see bubbles and always have the full 200 when I’m done or very near.

1 Like

Thanks @JiMMy1! I still have lots of humalog cartridges left from my Snap as well. I hadn’t thought of using them now that I’m back on my Medtronic, but I don’t see why that method wouldn’t work to fill my reservoirs as well. And the thing is, I was doing MUCH better on humalog than I am back on Novolog, which is what I’d been using with my Minimed before I switched to Snap. The difference has been very noticeable. I was just writing to my endo to get my prescription changed, but I’m definitely going to try this first, on my next reservoir change which is coming up.

Are you still able to use the meter as a remote to your pump if it’s not integrated? (I have an Animas Ping, and I really love the remote feature).

No. Lack of integration means it doesn’t talk to the pump at all. You can use it as a plain meter, but it won’t control your pump. The vibe doesn’t actually have any remote bolus functionality.

1 Like

I was one of those trapped by the SNAP pump. I really loved it but they went out of business leaving no support behind. (The FDA should address such an exit!) . Anyway, I replaced it with the t:slim which I have had now for about a month or so… It has survived two airline trips, both to very sunny spots. And I live in a sunny spot as well (Orlando). I have had no difficulty with being able to see the screen and read it in bright sunlight as well as in the dark. I had this same concern. I did not get the Dex integration since I wanted it quickly and couldn’t really wait. Such a modification can be a long process or short. Who knows? I am very satisfied with my choice. I have had 2 mini-meds, an animus (hated it!) and the SNAP.

For me, the only downsides of this pump are:

1. I find it a bit difficult to switch to a new reservoir but after a few un-printables, I was able to succeed three times. (That was all of my attempts.) I like the fact that I can pre-fill a reservoir without having to load it. So, now I load two at the same time. My issue is that if you stick the needle in too far it becomes very difficult to push the insulin in. I expect to improve this skill shortly. They should have a guide for this.
    2.The printing is a bit small. I always have to find my specs if I aren’t wearing them. I would think with a touch screen you would be able to do the phone thing and expand the image, but not yet. Perhaps in the future.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

1 Like

Just had a discussion today with my provider. Decided to aim for a new Ping. Mine is way out of warranty. My copay is awful and Animas would need $1800 to get me my new pump. I wish there was a place that charged less for it, so I could somehow obtain a new one. :disappointed: But guess I am stuck until I figure out financing.
Btw, I chose not to change from the Ping because Animas pumps have always, and I mean always, worked the best for me. Except maybe for the Cozmo.

If you want an Animas pump you might consider the Vibe which offers Dexcom integration. Unless that is you want the remote control feature.

I’m not doing CGMS. Too much money just for a new pump and my supplies. fifty percent DME. Maybe one day when the CGMS prices are better, and more easily covered. Not now.
I wish there was a Ping discount, but it’s apparently still a very popular pump.