Will a medium high blood sugar get lost in your urine?

OK so say your BG goes over 140… For example: 180 after 2hrs…but it comes back down to normal after a couple more hours…will any of that extra sugar(which I’m guessing would be a certain amount of calories too) in your blood for the short time get lost in your pee? I am asking this because I had my lunch, went to 189, and then I was SO hungry…as if some of those calories I consumed were lost.

Most people will only start excreting glucose in their urine when their blood sugar gets much higher, typically 300 mg/dl or more. In most cases, a moderately elevated blood sugar like you note 140-180 will be handled by your liver converting the blood sugar to triglycerides. It is these triglycerides that are layed down as body fat. Amazingly, it is insulin, that all powerful substance that also helps signal our body to lay down bodyfat. This is also the source of why insulin can cause you to gain weight.

I would be really surprised if you peed out any of that blood sugar. There are many theories about why people get hungry. There is research that suggests that there is a hunger hormone called Ghrelin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghrelin). It is very complicated, and not well understood, but Ghrelin and hunger are affected by what you eat, your digestive system response and insulin.

And besides that, sometimes we are just hungry.

Very helpful! That’s what I was looking for (over 300 is when it typically comes out that way). I only was wondering this because I was so hungry and tired too (and my sugars were back to normal) and it felt exaclty how I would feel as if I were starving and didn’t eat. I ate extra at dinner because I felt like I skipped a meal!

Thanks though, that was really the answer I was lookign for

BSC, I rarely feel hungry, when I do I test seems about 25% of the time I am pushing 140 majority of the time I am low 80s when I feel hunger so then I probably am just hungry. Used to be if I felt hungry I was elevated and would go walk it off.

Thank you Alan, I think you are right (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycosuria). I am not sure where I got the figure of 300 mg/dl. I think the Renal Threshold is when the barest trace of glucose first appears in urine and the renal threshold is highly variable, person to person. The dumping of glucose in your urine is a backup measure for your body to dispose of high blood sugars. Our bodies try to be efficient and storage of excess energy (glucose) for later use is the preferred way to get rid of unneeded glucose.

So I think many of us have “felt low” only to test and been high or normal. What do you think that is? I think you can sometimes “feel low” when you have a blood sugar drop even though you are not really low.

Interesting. I guess I could have felt that way since my high did come down then. Although I didn’t really feel low in the way that a low usually feels. Who knows!!! But thanks all of you for answering my question! :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting this and to bsc and alan for answering. I first found out I had to be tested for D because they found sugar in my urine - although they didn’t say how much I had (not sure if it matters) and I didn’t know what my BG number was at the time though because they didn’t test that. I always wondered how that worked though. 200 makes sense in my case because when I went to get diagnosed my Fasting BG was 205 except though they did retest my urine that day and that day there was no sugar in it. So I think my BG must have been higher the first time they tested the urine.

Add protein to your meal to mitigate hunger. You will show glucose in your urine in a variable range of 150 up.