Will bringing my insulin requirements down help with weight loss?

After reading Hamish Norton's discussion about how insulin requirements could lead to storing more fat, it really got me thinking. I've been trying really hard lately to loss the weight I've gained over the past year, and I feel as though nothing has been working. Up until about two weeks ago, I hadn't been as in control of my sugars as I would like. I was being down right lazy, to be honest.

When trying to lose weight I typically count calories, or carbs, or both (I kind of have to count carbs). I don't go crazy counting every little thing (when counting calories too), but I do try to stay conscious of how much I'm eating. Lately, I've really just been focusing on eating healthier and not calling it a diet, I'm just trying to turn my bad eating habits around.

Do you think if I just focused on getting my insulin requirements down and keep my sugar in check that I might possible lose some weight? I'm type 1, and I do know that obviously cutting back on carbs allows me to take less insulin. When I exercise more I also don't need as much. These are to ways of losing weight in general, so it seems reasonable if I just stuck with it eventually the pounds would come off, right?!

I'm just really frustrated I've been trying hard for 3 weeks and have not lost a single pound. A couple years ago I would have lost 7lbs by now. I think birth control may be a contributing factor in not being able to lose any weight right now either though.

Thoughts?

Hi Jamie, these are all my same questions!

In theory, less insulin should equal less sugar being stored as fat. Exercise and eating lower carb could bring down insulin requirements, but honestly, I do both and still can’t lose weight. (Sorry, I don’t mean to be discouraging).

On the birth control subject, I recently stopped using the Mirena IUD because I had friends who successfully lost weight after having it removed when they had previously been unable to lose anything.

The bad news is that I haven’t lost any weight yet (two months), the other bad news is that I discovered that for the second half of my cycle, I am more insulin resistant due to my own progesterone, and have to turn my basal, corrections, and bolus ratios up by 10%. (More insulin, more stored fat? Ugh!).

The good news is that for the first two weeks of my cycle my sugars are in waaaaay better control than when I was using Mirena. During the second half of my cycle, even though I require more insulin, I am experiencing waaaaay better control then too. I’m having to take less corrections and I’m not dropping low randomly. (I think the Mirena was really screwing me up).

It has taken me a couple of cycles to figure this all out. So my hope now is that with better glycemic control (less correcting) that despite my 10% increased insulin requirement for a few weeks, that I might now be able to start to see some weight loss.

I have a spin bike in my garage so I aim for 45min-1hr, 4-5x a week, plus some weights 2x week. I try for 1500-1800 calories a day, and lowish carb (under 100g a day).

I might have to try to drop more carbs out, but when I tried a No Carb diet, I was extremely nauseous (ketosis?) and dropping to low blood sugar levels (not feeding the insulin enough). I couldn’t stick with it but think I might have to give it a go again. It was the only way I could ever lose weight before getting type 1, 10 years ago.

I know I haven’t told you anything new, just know that I’m right there with you. Any tips and tricks that you find work for you, please share! My goal is a 10-15 lb. loss. Sigh

Keep posting your progress, wishing us all luck!
Rachel

Thanks Rachel, I do appreciate just hearing someone else shares the same struggles as I do. I've had diabetes 5 years now, and I feel like this time has been the hardest to lose weight. My goal is 35 lbs :o, I have gained 30 since getting married last January!

I'm on the nexplanon, which is the rod that goes in your arm. It has honestly been a night mare so I'm going to call about getting it removed this week, actually.

Hopefully, once I get it out, maybe I'll start seeing some progress. If you don't mind me asking, what birth control did you switch too, if any?

Before this I was on the Nuvaring, and I liked it. I just wanted something that lasted longer than a month, but at this point I would not care. I think that's what I'm going to go back too, because I was able to lose weight without a problem while I was on that.

We switched to a vasectomy :). We have one beautiful, healthy daughter (I became diabetic during/after the pregnancy). We are older now (42 & 46), so we decided we are done forever. My husband was VERY sure he didn’t want more kids even if I died tomorrow, so he went for it. It’s not right if you are young and/or think you might want more kids in the future for sure.

I’m glad to hear that you were able to lose weight while using the nuvaring. Maybe it really is the progesterone in the implant and IUD that have been giving us problems more than the insulin itself. I suspect it’s a combination that’s the problem…

Maybe the nexplanon has been messing with your sugars like my mirena was. That could be a plus too!

Yeah my endocrinologist did not like that I got put on the Nexplanon and advised me to get off of it.

He wants me on the pill but I'm scared I'll miss a day I've never been good at remembering to take pills... even if they are right next to my toothbrush.

Yeah a vasectomy would not be a good option for us. I'm only 22, I do have one daughter she is 2 now, and I hope to have more some day just not right now.

I'm happy that worked out for you guys though, that's great.

I think you are right it is probably a combination of the both.