World Kidney Day 2017

From the World Kidney Day .org, to read more about the campaign please click here.

Obesity is defined as abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that may impair health. In 2014, worldwide over 600 million adults were obese.

Obesity is a potent risk factor for the development of kidney disease. It increases the risk of developing major risk factors of Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD), like diabetes and hypertension, and it has a direct impact on the development of CKD and end stage renal disease (ESRD): in individuals affected by obesity, the kidneys have to work harder, filtering more blood than normal (hyperfiltration) to meet the metabolic demands of the increased body weight. The increase in function can damage the kidney and raise the risk of developing CKD in the long-term.

Education and awareness of the risks of obesity and a healthy lifestyle, including proper nutrition and exercise, can dramatically help kidney disease.

While I understand the goal of stuff this post and others like it, the result for me is feeling shamed. I didn’t cause my diabetes, I didn’t cause myself to become overweight. I’ve been fighting an uphill health battle my entire life. I have had to work twice as hard to maintain and hold onto a quarter of quality of life, that others take for granted.

When I see this, that I should have “prevented” the awful situation I’m in right now… it just makes me depressed and want to avoid reading this forum.

I understand your point, and sadly not all health organization use the correct terminology. We hear the word prevention used to freely in the diabetes world.

Please remember, there is a lot more that we can’t control in our bodies.

1 Like