Xdrip 101

I need an xdrip tutorial. I am a Dexcom G5 user curently using Dexcom receiver. I would like to start using xDrip with an LG V10 (marshmellow) and hopefully Android Wear Huawei Watch I’ve downloaded xDrip app to my phone, but am having trouble getting started. I’m not even sure I’ve downloaded the right app. Any help with this would be appreciated!

You might try asking this question to the CGM in the Cloud FaceBook group. There are a lot of xDrip users there. There are a few here but not nearly as many.

What is your end goal? I only ask because I use Dexcom G5 with Android Wear Huawei Watch–and I do not use xDrip. I just simply downloaded the app, logged into my Dexcom account through the app and VOILA! Although you can definitely use xDrip, it is not needed depending on your needs. If you are using G5, then your data is automatically uploaded onto Dexcom servers.

http://stephenblackwasalreadytaken.github.io/NightWatch/

1 Like

Bradford, the Nightwatch app does not read data directly from the G5 transmitter… you need something like xdrip to do that. The Nightwatch app is redundant – xdrip is simply the Nightwatch app with direct sensor reading capabilities.

G5 data is NOT automatically uploaded to servers, unless you have registered and set this up. In order for that data to be uploaded, it has to be sent to the servers by something.

As the page you linked states:

Collects BG data from the following sources:

Dexcom Share Servers (Acts as a follow app for Android!!)
xDrip
NightScout Site

I don’t give up easily.

So I’ve had solid, near 100% capture, for the last 12 hours. The only difference is I didn’t enable the smartwatch feature for Android Wear, my Huawei watch is powered down in in the box, and I’m using my (preferred) Gear S2 with Wearable Widgets to get the G5 data on my watch.

Also, whatever was causing updates to WW to be slow/delayed doesn’t seem to be there now. It’s updating pretty quickly, so the watch info is timely.

So, we’ll see. If this holds up, I’ll be very happy, can probably ditch the Dexcom receiver (the whole point in the first place). And, since I have Android development skills and expertise, I’ll do some minor mods to the launcher widget (that’s what displays on the watch) to add time/date so it can be used as a watchface.

I will share this, of course, if/when I do it. For now, WW is a bit awkward to get both BG information quickly/easily, and still have basic “watch” (time/date) functions easily accessible.

Here’s what it looks like on the watch:

3 Likes

Good catch. I supposed it would have been better to say that G5 has the capability to automatically upload to Dexcom servers. As I said, however, it is really up to what you want to accomplish. As a parent of a child with T1, xDrip is not needed–because I pull data from Dexcom servers. I love my Huawei watch/Nightwatch combo because it is always on, get BG data/graph & notifications in one glance.

1 Like