Yes or No: cured in your lifetime?

Has anyone tabulated the results of this unoffical poll. I would be interested in knowing which way the group leans. I would do it but I'm to lazy.

No - for the same reason I still use batteries that have not gotten better - There is money to be made!

No not in my lifetime. The drug companies make far too much money off this disorder, where's the incentive for research. Clare

I was in the Edmonton Protocol study in Canada. Had 2 islet cell transplants in 2001. Was off of insulin for approx 1 month.
The technology has come so fast. When I was diagnosed in 1984 my glucose monitor was NEW to the market and was huge! Synthetic insulin had just come out as well.
I am now pumping and CGMing, and loving it!
I am not convinced that I will see the cure, but I do believe that the next generation will see it.

I dont think so,theres no problem with implanting beta cells,but the issue is in the immune system, how do they reset it again.And the insuline industries is wouldent want there customers to stop bying there products would they.

Jason Turner, Tu member, however not too active presently , has been insulin free for 7 years ; he was the 79 th person in Canada /islet cell transplant/Edmonton ...this sounds hopeful ...I will say YES .I will qualify as well ...some have a life time of xxx numbers of years ahead ...I am over 70 years of age :)!

Really? Why do we not hear more on this if someone can go 7 years on a transplant. Do you have the details?

Jason's page https://forum.tudiabetes.org/topics/islet-transplant-patient-here
Suggest to look him up and befriend him on FB ??? ....Jason Turner
Hope this helps

Would you rather have your 100,000 dollars now or 30 thousand a year for life?

Your math doesn't work out. Unless you can afford a few million for that cure, you are short changing them for your lifetimes worth of doctors appointments and testing supplies/insulin/insulin pumps/etc etc.

I don't want it to be this way, but it absolutely is. They will use a cure for anything when it comes packaged with a lifetimes worth of back-up medicine and expenses for the end user to continue to purchase.

This is a business. The nature of business is to make money, not remove all of your customer base.

The only hope is that along comes a company with a big enough F-You attitude to other gigantic companies who want to screw the other organisation over. More often than not though they will just get into bed with one another and agree to share the market.

If the cure for Diabetes sold like I-Phones, we all know where we'd be. It just doesn't, and I've yet to hear any arguments to the contrary that aren't (albeit understandably from a hope fueled viewpoint) based on make believe that the world cares if you live or die.
I likely have made myself sound like a depressive fool, but I'm not.

Things just do NOT work this way.

" or 30 thousand a year for life " spent on what ?

Just an example.

In a competition winning scenario, this is often the way a payout is doled out, and in this case was used as an example of how in a business/financial sense, which would you rather opt for?
A business would much rather have you pay every year for your whole life than one lump sum.

No. And most of the other No voters have already explained why.

http://www.naturalnews.com/036499_Glaxo_whistleblower_bribery.html

Funnily, this just popped up today. Not necessarily saying this is all of them of course, but how would I know it isn't either?

I don't think so. If we're lucky, maybe when I'm like 90 (I'm almost 15).

I also have been hearing this 'just around the corner" cure story for my
19 years of having had diabetes. For some reason I imagine that if it does happen, it will be near my dying days when I'm old or just after. (I'm just under 30). In the meantime, too much money is being made off of us: test strips, lancets, syringes, insulin, pills, pump supplies, additional medications needed for other health concerns that come up, doctors appointments, insurance coverage...

I do believe technology will continue to try and make our lives easier as it has been
doing, but for me, I think a cure may just be out of my reach.

So, to keep with your tally, I believe my vote adds to a NO. :(

I have been hearing a cure is right around the corner for 55 years now, so don't hold your breath!

You are right, the world does run on business and profit incentive. Although, I don't agree that the profit incentive lies solely in keeping us all dependant on drugs and supplies. Whoever someday invents a cure for this, or any other problem, stands to make a fortune. So does whoever brings it to market-- of course this will come at the expense of those bringing current supplies and drugs to the market. Business models evolve with new technology and breakthroughs.

No.

No because of reasons stated by others. I have a hard time believing anyone who is trying to work themselves out of a job or career.

I think I mentioned it before in the thread but that argument doesn't necessary hold up as there's an endless supply of new patients to be cured as the underlying genetic defects would still be there in humanity.