Yes or No: cured in your lifetime?

Well, considering that 100 years ago Diabetes was a death sentence I think I'll see a cure. From certain death to synthetic insulin to meters to pumps and etc...On a scale of A-Z I'd say we're on letter 'Q'.
Granted, I am not hoping, wishing, and praying for a cure. I've been living with it for three years now and I'm just used to the whole bloody affair now. But it would be nice to have a cure.

I don't believe we'll see a cure in my lifetime. Maybe (& hopefully) some day though.

Yes.
There are certainly people seeking cure.

News on March 18 2013
http://mainichi.jp/english/english/newsselect/news/20130318p2g00m0dm002000c.html

The BioHub at the Diabetes Research Institute may in fact cure both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Go their website and you may feel differently.

Ken Bernstein

No, at least not for those of us who are done honeymooning. I think the only hope of a real cure is to find something to combat the destruction of beta cells. Once they're gone, they're gone though. It's also very hard to cure something when you don't actually know what causes it in the first place. There are a lot of theories out there, but no one can conclusively say, "Yes, this is for sure, 100%, the cause of diabetes." I'm tired of pinning all my hopes on a dream that will never come to fruition. My focus is now on treatments and tools that will help me live as normal a life as possible.

No. too much money made on treatment. Why kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

Probably not :-(

See my comments here.

probably, I'm only 13 they have awile before I die :)

I'm almost 40, and have had diabetes for 26 years...When I was diagnosed I heard doctors say the typical 5-10 years answer and after awhile, I didn't stop believing as much as I just stopped thinking about it and lived life. But a few months ago I saw some articles and reports that gave me a sensation I hadn't felt for many many years....hope!!!!!!! I'd have to say YES.

I too have been T1 since age 14, but I am 52 now . . . and I am a bit sick and tired of hearing about "a cure", when better treatment would suit me just fine. I remember when I was on only two shots a day, and did great on that.
I think the people who know the most that there will not be a cure for diabetes are groups like the ADA and the Juvenille Diabetes Assoc. who are raising money for "a cure" where only a certain percentage goes for "the cure" and they keep the rest . . . If a cure comes they will be out of business, and they don't want that.

I have a rather strange view on this topic. To be honest, I don't really know if I believe that there will be a cure in my lifetime. There may be. Or maybe there never will be. However, the biggest thing for me is I don't really mind either way. I was so glad when someone believed that something was wrong and took the time to figure out what it was: diabetes. Before I was diagnosed, everyone, including me, thought I was a hypochondriac, but I was having a lot of problems.There are times when I am frustrated that I have this disease and even angry, but I am so thankful to have an answer. For those reasons, I don't need a cure, though I would never turn it down. But I have come to accept that this is my life and I will just have to adapt. :)

Yes Indeed!!!, I see that not only that a threat of a cure comes along that Big Pama who makes Insulin will have a vexing question to ask thier investors. Shall we let it be or not??
For me I would like to see a natural as possible cure.
From Spain you have the spaniels (Dogs) have a lasing cure as I have herd from them for quite a while Denise Faustman in Canada seem to have something with the nervios system as they may have their Human Triles as that's quite exciting to see what may become of that.
Also the Human Stem Cell may have something as I think may be the answer.
I have had this disease now for the last 42 Years!!! Yes it's a very long time as I had it when I was 10 YO. I also have has from various Endocrinologists say we are not far off on a cure and I just say Meh!!
One thing that I know for sure as if this may develop if Big Pama will let it be would be a mad rush to have this cure. If you have the money, Oh sure, There's a cure!! as I can see they are after your $$$ as reserchres are always poor. This is also where we see politics come in to play as the worlds sufferers growing towards closure as you see grapes grow to form a bunch we will suffer the demise of Big Parma and their Trillion Dollar industry. I make no joke of the profit that they make!!!! It's astounding!!! So forget what Bill Gates and his $70M that he has to cure the worlds ill's as Big Parma would just snease at him in a form of an writ of harming their business.

I am quite likely to say NO!!! Not because that I am happy to what treatment that I have now. It's because I see infighting between Big Parma and The Researchers. While all this is going on JDRF are just concentrating on a Closed Loop Pump!!! LOL If this a cure, Then I would see Frederick Banting will turn in his grave!!!

Dear Anthill and Jerry,

You guys kinda make me a little sicker that I already am having had Type 1 for almost 60 years. I have donated my body as well as 16 other friends of mine who underwent an islet transplant in the hope we could pave the way for a cure for all of you in 2000. We had to fly back to Miami every month for extreme testing that lasted 24 hours at a crack for years, took drugs that could promote cancer, suffered from mouth ulcers and many other issues to pave the way for a cure for you. We proved that transplantation of islet cells into a type 1 can cure diabetes as most of us were insulin independent for at least two years and today some are still free from insulin injections. Today the Diabetes Research Institute (who could care less about pharma) is closer than ever with the invention of the Bio Hub to curing Type 1. Do you think Pharma could have stopped the discovery of the polio vaccine? Let me tell you how wonderful it felt to be free from insulin for the two years I had. I am still in the program after 13 years and the scientist I work with are working to cure this disease almost 24/7. These scientists are the cream of the crop and share all of their finding with other diabetes researchers around the world. Check it our for yourself http://www.diabetesresearch.org. You can even check out my story at this site. http://www.diabetesresearch.org/patient-stories/ken-bernstein?

Please don't give up hope. There will be a cure soon....i know because I have tasted it!!!!!!

Ken Bernstein

Hi Jolynn. My 14 yr old son was just diagnosed in Dec 2011, only feels like just.
He too feels similar to you. At different times, he said "Im still me and I like myself, diabetic or not." That said he just wants to do the right thing & not feel unhealthy in a hi or low. Another time driving home from an endocrin visit, I asked Jake what he thought of a pivotal comment referencing depression his MD mentioned in reference to possible anxiety or depression causing intermittent stomach aches, he said "Really mom Im just happy to be alive." At diagnosis he was having a lot of problems, like a higher level of difficulty in already difficult academics. I spoke with his MD, had him in for a Quotient Test to rule out ADD (imagine that), had him back to MD 24 hrs before I Hail Mary'ed all the way to his ER & diagnostic admission. It wasnt his pediatrician that dx'ed him: MD never mentioned Jake was acutely failing, never mentioned possible insulin dependent diabetes or any diabetes. I told her I was afraid Jake may have cancer. His MD was a Top Doc for years according to plenty of magazines, wall plaques, etc.. If he could just be a diabetic, follow a procedure and coast, he wouldnt necessarily want a cure, but in his heart of experience of lows/highs he would never turn down a real cure either. What I got from what you said, You love yourself as you are and as things may change, you grow & you will continue to love yourself. That's how Jake feels too. It just makes me tear & tear to see that people know there's nothing but good in them. It's good to be in good company.

Thank you for participating in the research.We need you.I include Dr Camilo Ricordi & the DRI in my prayers everynight; such beautiful people and minds with a goal of a biological cure.

Patricia that is so sweet! Thank you. I can totally understand where you are coming from. I hope that he and your family are doing well!

Given the recent breakthroughs... I'm moving strongly into YES territory. For Type 1, anyway. I mean, when you have two high-profile institutions publishing significant advances within weeks of one another, that says to me, the likelihood of developing a therapy is really, really close. Of course, the question of whether anyone will be able to AFFORD the therapy is another discussion entirely.

So yeah, Type 1 cure is imminent, in my mind. Type 2... that's another story.

The Bio Hub will help type 2 as well.