You Mean It's Not Over Yet?!

I originally posted this to my Blogger account (TamraGarcia.blogspot.com) on January 19, 2014.

It has now been three months since I had triple bypass surgery. I had this point set so firmly in my mind as the moment all would magically be well again. In many respects it is, and in some it is not.

I am pretty well healed up although after a long normal day I can have some strong fatigue and a weak feeling in my chest muscles. This just reminds me that I have not done anything for three months and need to rebuild my stamina and muscle power.

I was told by my surgeon that I would only be on a couple of medications for three months. But then when I saw my cardiologist, he bumped that time up to six months. I can not express how much I hate being on blood-thinners. Imagine looking over your body everyday and everyday find one or two new bruises that mysteriously popped up. Also, imagine getting your period while on blood-thinners. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it is like the floodgates of hell opening and staying open for three solid days! And after doing some research on my own, I find that I may be stuck on the blood-thinners for life! Thanks for letting me know this little tidbit, doctors.

I have resumed regular activities and am doing very well so far. I have been back to work for two shifts, both only five hour shifts but with no restrictions. I was able to do everything my job requires, even bring in the carts from the parking lot and running up and down stairs while carrying bulky and slightly heavy items, which are the two activities that caused me so much pain, shortness of breath, dizziness, and nausea before my surgery. I can now do everything with no trouble or symptoms at all.

The only problem I have had at work was that less than two hours into each five hour shift I felt exhausted. I was able to push on and do my job well, though. It will take some time to rebuild my energy and strength again.

Over the last couple of weeks I have had swelling in my ankles which has concerned me a bit. I was very worried that going back to work and being on my feet for several hours would make the swelling worse. In fact, working...all the walking, I am assuming...actually resolved the swelling problem and all is well again.

So, to sum it up, things aren't perfect but they are good and getting better. It just takes time.

I am glad you are doing well, I had open heart surgery in 2006 and I know it changes people. Or at least it changed me. I gained a new perspective about life and time. Thank you for sharing you blogs.