Your choice of energy or protein bar

I am doing some research on protein bars or energy bars. what are your favorite brands? Why? How has it effect your diabetes?

On my facebook site I will be doing demos and taste tests this week too. So want the information for other diabetics and a type 2 perspective.

Let me be the first to say I hate this new format for tudiabetes…

protein bar i like KIND PLUS, Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate + Protein, Gluten Free Bars. & thinkThin High Protein Bars, Caramel Fudge. i don’t like energy bars. they are a fast snack or a late night one.

Kashi Bar, Peanut Butter flavor. Good amount of protein for 130 calories.

I like KIND bars and many of them have reasonably manageable carb counts Quite good. Also found some bars called “Real Good Bar” that are, well, rally good! Also easy on the carbs. Both are good go-to snacks to carry on bike rides, etc. Finally, though hard to find at times, I like the “Balance Bare” bars - though some of those are high-carb; have to read the labels!

I like Quest bars. They’re fairly expensive compared to other bars (and are 190ish calories per bar), but they have less than 4-5g of net carbs, 19-21g of protein, and do not badly spike my BG.

Thanks for the input. I am doing videos now based on dietary foods and protien bars and how they affect diabetics in general. We working differently so I don’t expect a one size fits all thing. I have one video up all ready. I need people to give their honest opinion on the quality of the information (not the filming) so I can improve. If you have a favorite weight loss item that you would like me to do please let me know.

I eat a Kashi bar after I swim. Nancy

Hi! what does the kaschi bar do for you? Does it make your levels spike? Which flavor do you like the most???

I like the dark mocha almond,21 carbs. I eat it as I walk either 1/2-1 mile depending where I am going. I don’t get a major spike from them. Nancy

The lower carb KIND bars or Powercrunch bars…but all protein bars spike me a bit…

For anyone needing a “wheat-free, gluten-free, non-dairy snack bar”, I like Pamela’s Whenever Bars. They contain oats, blueberry and lemon. The label says: 7g fat, 120 g sodium, 26g carbs and 2g protein. Not all GF food tastes good, but I thought that these bars do actually taste pretty good, even if you don’t need to eat gluten- and dairy-free. Without much protein or fat, they can spike–but if I’m low or need energy they work for me.

Thanks for the recommendation! I’m allergic to wheat and milk, so I’ll have to check them out.

I like Nakd bars, specifically the orange and berry flavours. They’re 16g of carbohdyrates per bar. They contain cashews, dates, raisins, cocoa, and flavour. They’re pretty small so easy to carry, and I eat them if I’m walking and think I might go low (or if I’m just hungry, since they taste good!). They taste almost like a chocolate bar to me. I’m attempting to make my own homemade versions, since I find they’re quite expensive here, and they look pretty simple in terms of ingredients.

The Nakd bars sound good; I’ll have to look for them. As I recall, Jen, you can’t eat potato, and there is no potato in Whenever Bars. I really need good bars when the weather is good and we get outside.

Yep, potato is my worst allergy. A lot of GF and DF foods have potato, so I’m always happy when I find things that don’t contain any.

Power Crunch Bars. 10g carbs each and I like them :slight_smile:

I know this is an older thread.

But by accident I stumbled onto a protein bar I love, which is also low carb and low sugar.

To me it tastes like candy.

It’s the NuGo Slim bar.
Comes in PB Chocolate, Double Chocolate or Raspberry Chocolate

17 G protein
5g carbs
2 g sugar.

Love this stuff.
My go-to food for occasional snack, it’s also my emergency food for lows after exercise or overnight.

Recent research has established that people’s need for protein in their diet has been vastly over rated, while the risk of kidney problems from over consumption of protein have been ignored. Something to keep in mind when choosing an alternative to those ostensibly ‘evil’ carbs.

Citations, please?

Evidence that protein requirements have been significantly underestimated.

“SUMMARY: The indicator amino acid oxidation-based requirement values of 0.93 and 1.2 g protein/kg/day and the reanalysis of existing nitrogen balance studies are significantly higher than current recommendations. Therefore, there is an urgent need to reassess recommendations for protein intake in adult humans.”

I prefer to stick to conventional wisdom in this area, given how many diabetics tend to over eat protein in their quest to avoid carbs and how many of us as a result end up in a kidney dialysis machine.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthy-kitchen-11/how-much-protein

Have you tried the cliff bars ?, I see them advertised and in stores for snacking as many have said they are a good bar when hiking ?