Animas Ping date and time failure

I changed my Animas Ping battery this morning. After I inserted a fresh battery and screwed on the battery cap, the display prompted me for date and time info. The date and time, however, defaulted to January 1, 2007 instead of today’s date and time.

This happened to me several years ago and I didn’t see it as anything to be concerned about. Except that I set the correct date but my time was wrong. I set it at a.m. instead of p.m. I woke up that night with unexplained and unexpected low blood sugar. The previous afternoon I struggled to keep my blood sugar from diving for the hypo range. I finally figured it out and called Animas.

They told me that failure to remember date ant time when changing the battery qualifies for an entire pump replacement. And what happened to me because I didn’t notice the failure is exactly the thing they’re trying to prevent. They sent me a replacement pump at that time. So that was about 2-3 years ago.

Now I’m replacing the pump again for the same reason. It’s not a catastrophic failure and I could live with it if I ever needed to. I just would need to be extra careful when I replace the battery.

I write this so that anyone who has an in-warratny Ping or Vibe pays close attention to the date and time when changing batteries. It’s more common than I at first thought.

This happened to me several years ago. I didn’t even realize it was abnormal until I was talking to someone on this forum (maybe you!) about it. I called and got a replacement pump.

I found the other thread that I posted to in the past about this. It was dated January 2015, not as long ago as I thought. My response in that thread does not provide a definitive date of my last failure.

I used a Ping until last year when I switched to the t:slim X2. In 2015, I went skiing in Wyoming (where it was something like 0 deg F at times), and after that, I noticed that the pump battery died every 3 weeks (whereas before it had been 5-6), and every time the battery died, I had to reset the time from 1/1/2007. It got really, really annoying, but I didn’t call Animas about it because the pump was out of warranty, and I didn’t want to get a new Ping and be stuck with the older (relatively) technology for 4 more years.