Food Ideas!? The Dr. B way

Looking for new ideas the Dr. B carb way. Tell us your favorite recipes, meals, desserts or snacks!!

I’ve been on a fish craze lately. Canned fish. Not just tuna, but sardines, herring and mackeral. I like them in olive oil and with various spices and flavorings. And you can drink the oil from the can. My wife hates that.

It grows on you.

Call me crazy.

I cook versions of traditional European foods, just leaving out any high carbingredients. So We have meat with several veggies and no potatoes for our main meal. the most difficult are desserts. Low carb cheesecake or yogurt “ice-cream” made with a few fresh berries work very well.
Hana

Full fat FAGE yogurt or plain yogurt by Cultural Revolution sweetened with liquid stevia, truvia, or Organic Zero or combination of the above, a spash of Trader Joe’s vanilla steeped in alchohol, topped with some slivered almonds or sunflower seeds.

I also use Hemp powder from Whole Foods with liquid stevia in whole milk.

I like tuna mixed with daikon radish and mayonaise flavored with half sharp paprika or chipoltle pepper.

When I’m desperate for chocolate, I use Dr. Bernsteins recipe for hot cocoa, but cheat and add mostly milk. I’m LADA and still produce some insulin to cover that much…

Nitrate free bacon is satisfying in Just the Leaves from Trader Joe’s or other lettuce with mayo. If I’m wild, I’ll sliver a tomato.

I take a jar of organic peanut butter and use a disposable spoon to take a scoop to lick. It feels like a treat.

Stuffed portibella mushrooms, but skipping the bread crumbs and using havarti cheese. I try to go easy on the onion in this.

If I’m wild, I’ll have a slice of cantaloupe wrapped in pasture raised ham.

I can add that I make fresh soups a couple of times per week.We have it for our evening meal. simply, chop and fry some onion, then chop and fry the other ingredients of your choice. Cover with water or stock (cubes and powders are acceptable) and simmer for about 20 minutes until everything is soft. then puree. I add some thick cream at the final stage. Season to taste.
I eat this with a low carb bread, whose recipe belongs to someone else, so I can’t give it away.
Hana

Ok, I’ll be serious. I posted a Dr. B friendly ice cream recipe. I also posted a recipe for a dinner Seared Salmon with Garlic Mashed Cauliflower and Fried Green Beans which has 20g of carbs/serving total. The meal has “large” servings, so if you are strict about 12 g, you can scale back the serving size a bit.

Where do I find the ice cream recipe?

Scroll down the page, look for a post from a guy with a really goofy face. There is one that says “Basic Real Ice Cream.”

I like sugree jello mixed with coolwhip and pecan pieces. My wife makes me a peanut butter pie: 8oz philly cream cheese, small tub coolwhip - whip with blender until smooth add peanut butter to taste (for me about 1/4 cup). We make a curst of slivered almonds and pour the mix in and let harden in the refridgerator. this hardly moves my BG number

"Almost Ice-Cream "
About a cup of berries[I have some in the garden] Crush with a little artificial sweetener and cook in microwave. Seive out pips.
1/2 cup Marscapone orother cream cheese whipped with 1/2 cup cream and a splash of vanilla essence.
Whip fruit juice into cream. Whip thoroughly and freeze.
Delicious!!!

Does anyone do anything with Ketchup? Oh how I miss that.

I know Dr B says its a fruit and loaded with sugar. I have used the sugar free Heinz,

of course they charge you about a buck more for the stupid stuff. I can cover it fairly easily with my own insulin (T-2) and dont notice much of a spike.

Now I see Hunts advertising lower fructose in their ketchup.

Mustards ok and I have tried the various varieties but my carb craving for my old ketchup lurks like a predator.

I am trying to be monastic like Dr B but, well you know the feelings.

My answer to cravings is to have a TINY bit of whatever it is. I had a sliver of cake with my gym class this morning. After a work-out, It hasn’t put my BG up
Hanac

Of course they sell fructose free ketchup in various forms now, but it still has some carbs, for the hunts, 5g per tbs.

In my view, Sriracha is the new ketchup, and it is 1g carb/teaspoon.

Only a little bit goes a long way, and don’t get any in your eye.

You must like it hot BSC! I have a bottle of Sirracha always on hand. I mix that into the Ketchup. I have not used it as a pure condiment yet. Ummm maybe I have to work my way up to it then. Thanks for the carb info

Sounds great, love peanut butter. What is the serving size which does not effect your BG?

Check out Linda;s Low Carb recipes - I don’t know who this woman is, but her recipes are amazing!

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html

Does anyone have a good BBQ sauce recipe?

Well, now we are talkin. I am serious about my bbq. I base a lot of my bbq sauces on recipes from Steven Raichlen. Many sauce recipes start with ketchup, which has either HFCS or sugar. Instead, start with tomato paste and sweeten with artificial sweeteners. Here is a simple approach from Laura Doslon (http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/saucesandmarinades/r/nosugarbbqsau…). Another recipe with the same core is from Linda (http://genaw.com/lowcarb/smoky_bbbq_sauce.html).

Remember bbq is not grillin.