Spike from Stevia?

I’ve written about this here before but apparently you are not familiar with dosing insulin for fat and protein. I eat a low carb high fat diet. For every meal I take an immediate dose of insulin based on the usual insulin to carb ratio. In addition I deliver an extended bolus via my pump. This extended bolus counts 50% of the protein carbs plus 10% of the carb grams as “equivalent carb grams.” I then divide that total by my insulin to carb ratio and deliver that total bolus over time, usually 2-4 hours, at a maximum rate of 1.2 units per hour.

I been using this system since 2012 and it’s been consistent and highly effective for me. I got this idea from an inactive sub-group here at TuD called “TAGgers United.” TAG is an acronym for “total available glucose.” This concept was written about in a book by a dietitian decades ago. The idea is that in a carb limited diet, especially, a certain portion of protein will be converted to glucose in the liver by a process know as gluconeogenesis. I’m uncertain about the metabolic process for fat but my experience counting 10% of the fat grams as equivalent carb grams has worked well for me.

Extended boluses are a gentle insulin dosing tactic that give you the flexibility to terminate them early if needed.

There’s still a thread here still available for reading on the TAG concept. Here’s another thread that links to a spreadsheet that people developed for dosing using TAG. I use a variation of this spreadsheet.