3 year old suspected of type one?

I hope all goes well with your doctor’s appointment. Fingers crossed that it isn’t diabetes but if it is, remember there are a lot of people here to help with your questions.

Don’t forget to wash your daughter’s hands before testing as sometimes you can have sugar left on them you can get a high reading.

I would also suggest to be on the lookout for high ketones. You can pick-up urine ketone test trips for cheap at a pharmacy. If her blood glucose is over 250 then test for ketones. If ketones are high, then it is time to seek medical help as there is a risk of DKA. (You probably already saw this in the thread but I thought it was worth repeating.)

2 Likes

Hi,

It does sound like your daughter has diabetes.

No one wants to hear that, but this is a good place for support and information. Please do get in to see the Doctor asap, and bring all your collected data.

Please let us know how you go and what is happening with your daughter. This thread does have a lot of information and also some practical things (like low carb eating, and other kid focused support groups such as typeonegrit).

Welcome and warm hugs. Please ask away anything you need or want to know.

1 Like

Hope you get some answers. That is how my daughter was… she would come back down over time. . Good luck, let us know how you make out.

1 Like

Oh no! I hope and pray you get some answers and if it doesn’t feel right to you don’t be afraid fight for testing or get second opinion. I read stories where a lot of people had to do this. My daughter to would go high and also come back down on her own overtime. Her doc informed us this was because she was in the early stages we caught it early but eventually it would stop no way to know when. First doctor appointment I took the printed out log I kept of her fasting bc, before meals,2hoursafter, and bed time. And couple random ones. On it I had what she ate drank and how she felt. He loved the detail. And it helped him. Because according her fasting blood work she was fine but once he seen her after meal numbers and such he knew. Started her on insulin the next day. Think we have dose right now at 3 units lantus in morning her blood sugars have all been in the 120’s no more 200’s. Thank goodness!

2 Likes

Thank you all for kind responses… it’s been a roller coaster the last month with her. The emotions that go with sugar roller coaster and to add puberty… We’re pretty much low carb eaters because my hypoglycemia but could be better. It seems for the most part right now regardless of her diet she jumps after meals. I learned that she can’t have oranges, she shot to 200’s after having one but for me when I have an orange it helps as a snack to keep me up until my next snack or meal. I went and got alcohol pads last night and told her to use that to clean her finger just in case she’s not washing good enough when testing. Will keep y’all posted. Thanks!

Perhaps someone has already mentioned, but you can also consider purchasing an over the counter hemoglobin AIC test kit. I have purchased it in the past for my T1D son who was diagnosed at 2 yo, and it is fairly accurate. By that I mean it was off by 0.2, compared to point of care test he receives at his endo office. You get two tests per kit and it is sold in the diabetes section I believe at CVS. The kit requires more blood than a regular glucose test but the instructions were fairly simple.

1 Like

Walmart also has their own brand $20 two kits I purchased after someone mentioned it her reading on it was 5.7 and labs in office were 5.4 so it was within reason of being close.

I was diagnosed at 3 and a half years old back in 77. I never went into DKA but was crying all the time and miserable according to my mother, I had classic symptoms like drinking and urinating non stop.

1 Like

That’s how she was just miserable drinking peeing the works! Thank goodness no DKA. But since starting insulin and new diet it’s a complete turn around!!!

2 Likes

IMHO these numbers are not realistic for a 3 year old T1.

In the “early stages” when she is still producing some of her own insulin - perhaps. But as she goes out of the “early stages” and into the more typical T1 where there is little to no insulin being produced don’t be shocked if these numbers start swinging wildly.

Best advice is to talk with other T1 parents with Toddlers. As you will likely learn, advice from adults with T1 is often times simply inapplicable to toddlers with T1.

She is currently still producing some insulin on her own. These are just the number he wants here about now trying to see if they are going up and there is a pattern to see just when she is coming out of “early” stages. Right now she only requires a very small dose of once daily insulin 3 units. He wants to know if she continues to go over 160 more than not so he knows what he body is doing and how to adjust insulin

Tim, respectfully disagree about the blood sugar levels. In our typeonegrit group we have 100s of young kids achieving stable blood sugars, without swings… many achieve hba1c resuls in the 4 - 5s range rarely with swings high or low.

These children feel way better when they avoid highs and lows.

1 Like

@JustLookin - I would certainly not debate the point that anybody would feel better avoiding swings. That however is only a portion of the story of which you speak.

I am saying that a Toddler is likely to have large swings in BG once out of the “honeymoon” phase and would not likely have BG under 160 or 180 after eating UNLESS you impose significant and severe dietary restrictions on the Toddler.

As I understand it, a central theme of your group is:
“no grains, sugar, fruit or starches”

In my opinion that is significant and severe and one which the Parent would have to decide if it is appropriate for their child.

Hi Tim, from chilly Australia.,

Yes, the diet excludes grains, sugars, starches and most fruits. It INCLUDES abundant proteins, most nonstarchy vegetables, including non-sweet fruits, nuts, fullfat dairy, among others. Nearly any regular carb food has a low-carb alternative;noodles, pizza, breads, cakes, icecream, even some candies. real, nutritious, energy dense foods.

The kids are not deprived. Overdosing on carbs honestly is not good for anyone. Maybe the popular concept on ‘foods‘ for children needs to actually change:candy, cake, sugar, pasta, sweetened drinks deficiencies? After all children‘s bodies and brains should not be grown and fueled on such.

It is more work, and planning. The payoff is normal or close to normal blood sugars, normal growth and brain development, and kids without complications. The fears and efforts of addressing highs, and catching lows that happen when one takes the kid first, diabetes second approach are eliminated.

The regular type 1 kids groups have plenty of kids and parents spending every waking and many sleeping hours chasing highs and lows. And kids with advanced complications (kidney failure, neuropathy, vision loss)in kids not yet teenagers. High blood sugars prevent normal brain growth. i recently lost a friend with type 1 since he was a child to kidney failure. He was in his mid-20s. He was told eat what you want and cover it with insulin.

This is not happening to my children on my watch, and sorry to sound like a religious fanatic, but i will do my best to spread the word, and try to prevent this from happening to others.

Parents coming to the typeonegrit group after following standard recomendations almost universally express relief, and wish they had found this information sooner. kids start thriving. parents and kids take control and are empowered.

Each family will make their own choices. I very much believe education on low carb eating should be part of the initial information package. At least they have a choice. Many people doing it successfully can also offer support.

1 Like

Unless you have any scientific data to back this particular claim up, I would strongly disagree that a Type 1 diagnosed Child who is under proper care will have any issues with normal growth nor any issues with brain development whether or not they choose to follow a stringent low carb diet.

The remainder of your post comes down to a Parent’s choice as to how they want to manage their child.

With the exception of the “scare tactics”, you do a good job here of describing your approach.

Tim, i wish it were just scare tactics. Unfortunately, it is not. There is scientific literature supporting the negative consequences of type 1 on kids development,when kids are managed following standard ada guidelines.

1 Like

I do see that you have scientific articles to post.

That does not change the fact that you are using scare tactics with Parents of newly (or not yet) diagnosed Type 1 children.