A Child's View of Thunderstorms

A little girl walked to and from school daily. Though the weather that morning was questionable and clouds were forming, she made her daily trek to the elementary school. As the afternoon progressed, the winds whipped up, along with lightning.

The mother of the little girl felt concerned that her daughter would be frightened as she walked home from school, and she feared the electrical storm might harm her child. She quickly got into her car and drove along the route to the school. As she did, she saw her little girl walking along. At each flash of lightning, the child would stop, look up, and smile. Another and another flash of lighting followed, and with each one, the little girl would look at the streak of light and smile.

When the mother’s car drew up beside the child she lowered the window and called to her, “What are you doing?”

The child answered, “I am trying to look pretty, because God keeps taking my picture.”

May God bless you today and everyday as you face the storms that come your way.

Hi Cin,
What a beautiful story. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. You have just picked me up. I was missing my Mom so badly today. At our house we celebrate thunderstorms and lightening. My Mom taught us as children to enjoy the beautiful show God was giving to us and would give us a quilt to snuggle in and cookies. I taught my kids and my grandkids the same thing.
Thank you for the blessing. May you be blessed as well today and everyday.

Saundra, you are very welcome. I’m glad that my little post could brighten someone’s day. Keep smiling, especially when there is lightning.

Debb, I have to agree with you. I love thunder and lightning. Like you, I feel calmed and soothed when it’s storming. Drives my husband crazy as I never get worried until he does. Then sometimes, he has to push me. LOL. I wanted to get some pics of a storm we were getting at work one night but my boss wouldn’t let me go outside. :frowning:

Hi Cin,
I am sorry you didn’t get the pictures you wanted. I usually sit out on our porch when it is storming so I can watch. Now my husband comes out too. He used to be afraid of the storms, but became so accustomed to me just loving them that now he enjoys them too.
We were in Wyoming on vacation one time and he stepped out of the motel room only to come right back in and get me. He wanted me to see the really black clouds coming down over the Grand Tetons. They were incredible. We hurried with breakfast and he drove us over where we could watch them come in and then down into Yellowstone park. It was truly beautiful. There was just glorious lightning and the thunder and rain was fantastic. Everything around Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons was beautiful and I will never forget it, but that storm is somethng I will always remember too. It is great to find others who love storms as much as i do.

What a story – nothing warms your heart like the innocence of a child.

A related (but not as nice) story – I was in the backyard with my 1 1/2 year old son last Friday. He’s learning to talk, probably has 50 or so words in his vocabulary… Anyway, I had to tell him we had to go inside because I heard thunder, and the thunder goes “boom! boom!”.

He wasn’t happy about going inside, but now every time we go in the backyard, he says “boom! boom!” I’ve got to teach him the right context of that word.

(For more on “Boom! Boom!” and thunder, read Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You? by Dr. Seuss. That’s where Joshua first learned about thunder before hearing the sound on Friday)

That story made me:) Thanks for that recovery from foot surgery. Well i lke to think of it as my grandma bowling and when lightning hits she made a strike in the Heavenly tournament of cotton candy clouds.He is Amazing! with his creations all around us. Take care. And may you always see him.diabeticidol94