A New Found Freedom

It has been a long time since i last blogged. Things have defiantly improved since my blackout from low blood sugar while driving.My episodes at work and the many ambulances that came to my rescue. I finally have my diabetic alert dog named dutchess from Betheden kennels in Piedmont Oklahoma. She has been such a blessing from day one. The owners of the kennel continue to be nothing but supportive and helpful as i adjust to having my new friend.

Since my hypoglycemia unawareness roared its ugly head i have been living my life differently confined by my fear of what could happen. I gave the doctors as much time as possible to get things straightened out with an insulin pump and tried the cgms for the pump and they always ran slow and after i had treated a low would pick up on it. Dutchess is so much more than i expected she is my new best friend who wants nothing but to please me and is nothing but a joy to work with. I just got her a little over a week ago and the minute i walked in the door she never wanted to leave my side. She started alerting to me 15 minutes after i arrived at the kennel. She is so smart and has been trainned so well that she does not give up on getting my attention when my blood sugar is low. She alerted today for the first time at school. Today was the second day of fall semester. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders because now i have my freedom back. I feel blessed beyond words.

I didn’t know about diabetic alert dogs! What a blessing…and dogs also are so accepting and faithful.She is a real blessing. Hypoglycemic unawareness is very frightening because it happens so fast. Would you not recommend the cgms or is that just the way it responds to you. What is your background insulin? Do you use your mealtime carbs to cover? How often would you say in a 24hr period do you experience the hypoglycemic reaction? Sorry for so many questions. I had a patient that could walk and do moderate exercise however she could not ever use her pool to swim because it always bottomed her out.

Wonderful! Dutchess sounds so sweet and special.

that is so awesome! i’m so happy for you!! :wink: congrats! when one door closes, another one opens!

myriah

Thanks Myriah and Elaine.

Cgms works for many diabetics and quite well but for some reason my blood sugars tend to change quicker than other people’s do. I think it has to do with hormones. My backgroound insulin is humalog. I am currently using the pump. I think i average around 5-6 lows a day. I run regularly and that can send my blood sugar out of whack but most the time i don’t have issues.

Tara, I am so happy to hear Dutchess has helped you find your freedom. How did you hear about Betheden Kennels and do they specially train just dogs for diabetic patients?

I actually started researching hypoglycemia unawareness and found an artical about diabetic alert dogs. I then found Betheden kennels but sadly they have decided to not longer train diabetic dogs. There is several places that currently train the diabetic alert dogs.Betheden did specialize in trainning just diabetic dogs.

That sounds pretty nice. I’ve actually heard of diabetic alert dogs, my brother almost got one once, when we were younger, would you know of another site to inquire about getting a dog like that? Also, whats the application process like, lengthy? expensive? I’m seriously considering getting an alert dog. I’m recently diagnosed and cant really tell too much what a low feels like, or really what a high feels like. Still sorta learning here I guess.

Anyways, congrats on the alert dog, sounds awesome, I love dogs!!!

The application process does take some time depending if there is a waiting list or not. The dogs are not cheap. I think they start usually around 7000 on up depending on which kennel you go with. I am not really up at this time i know there is quite a few kennels that are good. I know i started researching and looked at various kennels before i decided on the kennel i went with. Best of luck.

That is AMAZING!!! I’m so glad Dutchess has come into your life and so glad you are doing better :).Lows are reeeeally scary,especially when you can’t feel it coming on.I’m so glad you are okay,sweetie.Its nice to meet you on here :slight_smile:

Thank Angela. Having her has made such a difference i can barely describe the impact. Nice meeting you too.