Acceptance

I have been type 1 diabetic for 15 years now. I have never really taken care of myself because I have been in denial. I have always been comfortable to talk about it but I never liked to check my sugars in front of people or in restaurants. I wanted it to just go away. I wanted to be "normal" like all my other friends. I think since I have turned 21 and my health has been spiraling downwards and I have been feeling very sick that I have opened my eyes that it will not just go away. I have accepted it and have been trying to work better at getting myself better! I know I am probably rambling but I felt I needed to get that off my chest.

Each of us reaches that point by our own individual route, and everyone's journey follows its own path. What matters is not how you got to that place, but the fact that you did. Mega-kudos and congratulations on your arrival! ;-)

The #1 factor in successful control is not medication, diet, exercise, nor medical help -- it's attitude. None of those other things are much use without that foundation. Sounds like you're ready to slay the beast. You have friends and fellow travelers here in this family who will assist in every way possible.

Welcome.

:)

I have also been diabetic for 15 yrs and I struggle with the same thing. I have also come to the realization that I have and need to change but I just don't know how to begin. That is my major set back. Any advice?

jazzyjay - Acceptance is the key to making all the other changes that can improve your health and life. It acknowledges the reality of your health, both the good and bad. There is power in that acknowledgment!

Wipe the slate clean and start fresh. I agree with David that a healthy attitude is another key ingredient to living well with diabetes. Learn all you can about diabetes; knowledge is power. Finally, adding tenacity or dogged determination will help you turn your life into one you enjoy living.

You've made the all-important first step. I wish you well as you re-create your life!

J.Santiago, motivation has to come from within. As a very smart writer once said, that door is locked from the inside. For me, it was one of those "I'm-mad-as-hell-and-I'm-not-going-to-take-this-any-longer!" moments. Sounds like that's pretty much where you are.

I would strongly echo Terry's comments, above, and add this: don't try to figure it all out in a day. In the first place, you can't; there's too much to absorb. In the second place, there's no hurry. You're not going anywhere, and neither is diabetes.

Take small steps. Whether it's diet, medication, exercise, or just organizing your time so that you do what you need to do when you need to do it, nibble away at it a little bit at a time. Change one thing at a time. You'll be surprised how soon the pieces begin to fit together like they should. As somebody smart (not me) said, "Diabetes is not a sprint. It's a marathon."