ADA Tour de Cure 2011

Signed up for the century in Long Beach on May 1st. Would love to meet up with anyone :slight_smile:

Upped that to doing 4 this year… Team Red - Lake Nona, FL - 6 Mar 2011( Done) Team Red - Lakewood Ranch, FL - 13 Mar 2011 (done) Team Red - Buffalo, NY - 6 Jun 2011, Indy 11 June on the 11th. GO RED RIDER!

I just joined Team Red here in Houston. I’m still debating on either the 60 mi or the 100 mi. Ours is in September, and if you are familiar with Houston weather, you know it’s hotter than hell then.

Yeah Dani,
Ours is on June 4th. Around here, that means either cold, hot,or flooded. I’m doing the 100 for the first time in my life, & training has been tough because of all the darn rain. Three of our 4 routes involve ferry crossings of the Mississippi, which always makes it interesting also.

I can’t believe I haven’t posted mine here yet!

I’m doing Basking Ridge, NJ this coming Sunday (June 5, 2011) as a member of Team Red. I had originally signed up to do the 50-mile again but the weather and my cold-related circulation issues have me so far off my training that I’m going to change down to the 30-mile this year.

I will be riding in the Mustang/Oklahoma City TdC on June 25.
Likely the 100k. I have a crit the next day so I may only do the 48…in any case, let me know if anyone else will be there! I’d love to say hi!

Like many others, I started biking (after 25 yrs off) to help control my bg. 2 yrs ago I couldn’t get up the hills on either side of my house. Off to the bike shop for a cluster with 28 teeth. Then I squeaked out 5 miles before exhaustion. I discovered the Tour de Cure and did the 30 mile ride and I didn’t even know then what a Red Rider was.The next year I did 100. This year I’m going for two or more. Saratoga Springs on the 5th of June and Kennebunk, ME on June 12th. At S.S. I get the honor of riding (or trying to stay with) Team Type 2, participants in last years Race across America. In Kennebunk, Rob Coburn, the founder of the Kennebunk TdC and Team Type 2 member, is captain of Team Red. I can’t wait to meet my fellow Red Riders over the next week and a half.

I live in a very hilly area with a ten speed Ruby Specialized road bike, so I put on mountain bike gears, 11-34 (they make them up to 36), and a Deore derailler, and voila…I just rabbit up the hills!

I know someone that just got a Ruby and she loves it. My stuff is all old school. 6sp 14-28 w/ 42/53 up front. I can’t afford a new bike now. It’ll do fust about anything i want it to except climb a 31% grade.

That sounds not too dissimilar to the gearing on my old 2 x 6 Lotus Excelle. 52/40 chainring and 14/26 cassette IIRC. The frame on that died two years ago, so I was forced to replace it. I lucked out in finding that one of the high-end local bike shops had its very last 2008 Dolce on half-price clearance, and it just happened to be in my size. The Ruby frame is a level up – the entry level carbon frame IIRC. (The Dolce is aluminum.) For my speed and skill level, the entry-level road bike (which is what the Dolce is) is sufficient.

I am riding on June 12th in Northeast Ohio. It is the 7th time I am riding… I am riding with Team Cleveland Clinic…

Randy

Tomorrow is the Tour here in St.Louis. The heat index is supposed to be around 100, which is also the distance I’m riding. Wish me luck.

I finished the one day 75 mile ride in Raleigh, NC yesterday (which was really 82 miles:)). This was my first year and it was so much fun. I can’t wait for next year. I’m going for the 2-day ride all the way!

Well, the St. Louis Tour was yesterday. The temp got over 100 & the 50-mile route had a lot of freshly black-topped roads that were a blast-furnace in the afternoon. My first 50 was great, but the second (same as the 50 route) was miserable. My favorite line from the 70-mile rest stop was "I’ve felt worse, but it probably involved bleeding."
I SAGged out after 84 miles, & the driver said he’d never seen so many people unable to finish. Oh, we had 5 ambulance pick-ups, which, I think, is a record. One of my teammates ended up in the ER with heat exhaustion.
Next year, I’ll just do the 50.

I ended up doing the 30, which – given I’ve been battling a systemic histamine reaction all week (not sure if it’s a cold or sinus infection or something else), and my lack of training, and how I felt the last couple of miles – was the right length for me, for this year.

So far I’ve raised $800 – if I can get another $200 in donations by 7/5/2011, I can get shorts to go along with the fundraising jersey.

I’m debating whether or not to consider the September tour in Brielle… partially an issue of transportation and partially an issue of my STARFLEET chapter doing the JDRF walk in Seaside, NJ two weeks later – how many times can I hit up the same people for donations!!!

I did two days, 22 miles each for the Tour De Cure in Austin/San Antonio Texas. The first day was not so bad but the second day for me was not that good since the heat and humidity got to be too much. I had to sag in when the temperature hit 102 or so. Blood pressure medicine and heat dont play well and metformin tends to cause dehydration, lesson to be learned for next year for me is drink more water in the heat.

I wound up getting low blood pressure from the blood pressure medicine and heat but the first 22 miles were fun in the sun. Also my bgs were in normal range for 3 days without any meds.

Looking forward to next year.

Finally got my ride in. June18th, Fargo, ND. I did the 32-mi distance, since I haven’t been hardly riding at all this spring. Had a grand time, raised a good chunk of change too! Weather was absolutely beautiful: sunshine, blue skies, no wind, and mid 60s temps. Beautifully flat course, and the most delicious orange sliced as Rest Stop #1, and the most delicious homemade pickles at Rest Stop #2.

It was an awesome first-time ride for me, and I’ll be making it an annual event.

Cheers all, Mike

Tour De Cure in Tucson 3/4/2012 new routes and New Belgium is a sponser that means beer after wards. http://tour.diabetes.org/.
100k 50k and 20k routes. Got a deal going right now send me a note.
Join team Kent or sponser me if you like.

Thanks for posting Mike! I'm riding in the Cincinnati event, June 16th for the 70-80 Mile ride. Look forward to riding with all the other Red Riders/ Team Red members!

Hey all,

This discussion is now closed, as we have all moved on to 2012! Hope you all had great rides.

For a new discussion on 2012 rides, go HERE!!

Cheers all, Mike