Advice needed

My boyfriend has been diagnosed with diabetes and he completely does not want to talk about it and hence, I’m not even sure what type he has been diagnosed with.

We have been together for more than two years and he has been amazing, my biggest cheerleader and best friend. Upon his diagnosis, we had a fall out and this led to our break up but it was nothing really significant that caused the break up. I’ve pleaded, I’ve begged and he told me he needed space of which I understood but the character was just off, it was unlike him. He seemed so cold and it was just unlike him. I even started wondering if there was someone else.

He has been with me through the toughest times of my life and I feel like I’ve let him down cause I can’t be with him through this.

It’s almost two months since the break up, though he checks up on me almost everyday and I have a son from a previous relationship whom he still picks up on a daily basis to take to school. My heart hurts everytime when I see him and I feel like I have fallen more for him.

Another important part is, his dad passed away due to the same condition about 5years ago, due to some complications. He died in his arms and he still has not gotten over the loss.

I’ve been trying to understand him on my own, but couldn’t figure it out as I’ve never been around someone with any chronic illness before.
How do I deal with this? I’m not ready to give up on him, on us and I’ve fallen into depression too myself because of the turn of events.

Do i let him go or just keep waiting on him? How do I help him, because I feel so indebted. He has been my rock through the roughest times I’ve had to encounter.

He has only told his mother and myself about the condition and he refuses for us to talk about it or to tell anyone about it. I had told his cousin about it so that he may be checking up on him since we’ve broken up and when he found out, he got so angry with me, said unpleasant things and even cried. That’s when I felt like I needed to learn more about diabetes, if it could be the reason of him acting out of character or simply fell out of love for me of which he said he still loves me.

Please advise me

I’m new on the platform and I’m not sure if I am posting correctly

Hi Fancy:

A most warm welcome to our community. I don’t have an answer for you because I am highly technical in nature but do know that giving up is not the answer as there is obviously still a strong bond between you and your boyfriend.

I am sure that you will get some great input from some much better qualified individuals that have conquered your scenario over the next several days and in the meantime wish you the best of luck and am sure that you have come to the right place to get the best information.

Thanks again for joining our group. Each and every member is greatly valued by all. Again, just don’t give up!!!

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and the advice, looking foward to more

This is tricky and I’m not a professional. But what I do know, I didn’t want a lot of people to know when I was first diagnosed for various reasons. I had told my hubby and a best friend and that was it. I would have been livid if they had told anyone else until I was ready. He might be trying to come to terms with it in his own time and doesn’t want to deal with other people until he figures it out himself.

Without knowing what kind, you have no way to know how serious it is. The good news is even as type 1’s we can expect a pretty normal life span now if we take care of ourselves. There is so much more knowledge and tech out there to help. We can lead a pretty normal life once we adjust to it, we just have to think about how to do those adjustments daily.

1 Like

Wow, thank you so much this.

some people who are diagnosed are in denial. Sometimes the best thing you can do is just to calmly remind him of not watching his sugars can lead to serious complications. Unfortunately, no matter how much you tell that person the cons of denying their diabetes, the sad part is they will only realize it until it’s too late such as amputation, organ failure, loss of eyesight and by then it’s too late to repair what’s already been damaged. I know that even with strict sugar control, you will still run into complications but they won’t be as severe as not paying attention to the warning signs