Advice one touch verio IQ

Background: I have used pump & meters since 1986. I currently test 8-10 times a day. I am neutral about brands of meters but I am not interested in CGMs. I have been using the verio for ~3 years. Over the last 6 months I have had very unreliable results. Today it took 9 strips to get 2 tests. I have had a test read 40 and since I have a strong adrenaline response, I knew that it was not right. 2 immediate retests (within 3 min) read 152 & 156. My meter was replaced early June for erratic readings.

I am ready to switch brands. What do you recommend. :woman_shrugging::vulcan_salute:

The Diabetes Technology Society ran tests on 18 home blood glucose monitoring systems. Only six meters passed all their tests. Check out the results they published in June 2017.

1 Like

I was surprised to read that the Contour Next Link meter I was given with my Medtronic pump was among the most accurate ones out there. It’s small, rechargeable and has a USB connector built in, so you can carry a simple USB charger that you could use to plug in your smart phone OR meter.

1 Like

I will check out the contour meters. We all worry about accuracy but the number of failures of the test strips is dishearting. With a limitation on the number of strips excessive test failures erodes my confidence in the brand.

Does anyone have experence with failed tests using Contour strips? Thanks :+1:

There are usually two reasons the test fails.

1. Putting blood on the strip before the meter asks for it.

2. Not getting enough blood on the strip.

The first usually happens when I’m tired.

1. The meter almost always asks you for more blood and you have five seconds to get it on the strip. Very rarely it will tell me (right after the 5 seconds it takes to do a reading) that I didn’t get enough blood on the strip with no chance to put more on.

Those are the only two types of strip failures I’ve encountered.

It’s reported that the next gen OmniPod will use this meter/strips. I’ve been happy to read that it’s high in accuracy and it sounds like you are pleased with it as well. I think we got a version of this years ago from Nick Jonas when this was a Bayer product, or could that be completely unrelated?

1 Like

Penn,
I recently switched from One Touch Verio to Contour Next meter. I made the switch based on the meter testing report referenced above in the thread. Have had no problems with the Contour strips. Only downside for me has been the case…the Verio has a handy plastic bracket holder that the strips, lancer and meter all clip to. I have not found anything similar for the Contour Next.

Also found out that I can buy Contour Next strips on Amazon for less money than my insurance co pay for the One Touch Verio! I just bought 300 Contour Next strips for $64 versus $51 copay for 200 Verio strips.

1 Like

Yeah, it used to be Bayer, now it’s Ascencia? Mine are old enough that they both still say Bayer.

1 Like

I received the Verio from Tandem back in April and I immediately saw it was not as accurate as the old One Touch Ultra 2. Since I had a boatload of Ultra 2 strips I immediately went back to it.

Nice to see the Contour Next Link is very accurate. I have one, but my wife previously worked for CVS’ Caremark division and Animas/One Touch kicked back more money to CVS, so they forced me to the One Touch on their formulary for employees. Now she’s left CVS, I’ll go with the Contour once I’ve used my One Touch Ultra strips up.

My favorite meter was the Bayer/Acencia dex disks. I could lance & get a drop of blood, then operate the meter with one hand. Sweet. Occasional miss eject on sensor and meter ate batteries. They discontinued meter and went with breeze meter. So much for ergonomics. :woman_shrugging:

Recently changed from One Touch Ultra to Contour Next (USB) and I’m quite happy with the change… more accurate, more reliable, cheaper strips, and easier to read (especially in low light). In addition, it appears Contour Next is what will be bundled into Dexcom supplies for Medicare support.

How about trying Freestyle Libre… 8-10 prickings a day will destroy the nerves in your fingertips.

I’ve been doing 8-10/day for 29 yrs with zero problem. Move the site, change the finger.

1 Like