After a week on new pump..I'm going back to MDI

Well as much as I wanted to like the Tslim… After a week… I’ve had enough. I just can’t get over having something attached to me 24/7. I don’t like the way it feels and Everything is a hassle from going to the bathroom, getting dressed, undressed, work, sleep, and playing with my kids. I just don’t think the pros out way the cons for me. Glad I gave it a go but for now in gonna stick with MDI.

Quick question… When should I start taking my lantus? Just unhooked 30 minutes ago.
Thanks

1 Like

I don’t know about when to start the lantus… I’ve never been in that position but I think if I had to wild guess in my own case I would try about 1.5 hours after unhooking? Figuring that they say the rapids will take about 3 hours to fade completely and the lantus about an hour to start absorbing… It’d be a wild guess for me. I haven’t gone the pump route for some of the considerations you mention.

take your lantus at your usual time, which means you should have unhooked a couple hours prior, give or take.

Lantus takes two hours to kick in, so I’d take it immediately upon disconnecting, since your rapid-acting insulin will take two to three hours to wear off. If you disconnect and then wait two hours to take your Lantus, you’ll have a gap with no active insulin in your bloodstream. But then, I’m someone who can’t be disconnected from a pump for two hours without my blood sugar skyrocketing and getting ketones.

Potentially volatile question: Did you consider the Omnipod?

I use the pod, and completely forget its there most of the time. I chose it to avoid exactly the annoyances you discuss.

1 Like

Dave beat me to it. I use the Omnipod and love it. Used to be on a Minimed pump and had no issues with it until my boys started yanking on the tubing and pulling it out. Went to Omnipod years ago and haven’t looked back. Doesn’t have that tethered feel you are talking about.

1 Like

If I hit a capillary with an insulin injection (a little bleeding), does the insulin become effective more quickly than a “normal” non bleeding subcutaneous injection? In other words, is there a difference in insulin behavior and effective if the injection is clean (no bleeding) -v- bleeding, whether little or a lot. FYI - I am currently on MDI, and may be going to the Omnipod.

As a follow up question, for those pumping, how would you know if you’ve hit a capillary during the infusion site application/insertion process? Is hitting a capillary a problem for attaching the pump infusion?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience, wisdom and thoughts…

This is one of the ongoing little problems, yup. If the initial insertion is painful, that’s usually a bad sign, as is soreness/touch-sensitivity developing a while after doing the insertion. Sometimes you can see a little blood under the tape, but not always. It also seems to negatively affect insulin absorption; i.e., your BG starts to run high for no obvious reason. Which may be an answer to the other part of your question–I’ve always understood that hitting a capillary or blood vessel interfered with the insulin’s efficacy rather than enhancing it. In any case, discovering that I had a “bleeder” when I pull the infusion set off has often explained why I was running inexplicably high over the course of that insertion.

1 Like

I guess I would ask what made you want to pump in the first place?

For me, the ability to make quick changes to my basal insulin, plus having only one type of insulin activity, plus the ease of bolusing, plus not having to carry pen, needles, etc, sold me on the pump early on.

Yes, initially I had to figure out how to sleep, shower, shave, go to the bathroom, play, work with something attached to me ALL.THE.TIME! - but, when I figured that out, it was like having a totally different, better life. Yes, still diabetic, but improved.

Also for me, when I was first a diabetic I felt like …

that I can’t control running (and ruining!) my life. Syringes, insulin bottles, paying attention to what I eat, and I MUST eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack, EVERY day! At the SAME times! In fact, …

OTOH, if you’re perfectly happy with MDI and are able to have a lot of Time In Range, then go for it.

For what its worth, I have a t:slim. It took me about 6 months to really get comfortable with it but now I cant imagine life without it. Yes it was a pain for a long time. But I do have better control even though there are some hassles. For me the pros definitely outweigh the cons because it means better control over my health compared to some inconvenient nuisances like going to the bathroom and dressing. I definitely have an easier time exercising on the pump with the ability to set temp rates, which have made me much less afraid to go out and do things.

It came down to whats more important, my ability to exercise safely and have a better A1C or my ability to dress however I want. What is critical and what is merely inconvenient?

2 Likes

I know I may be beating a dead horse, but how long was your tubing? I usually wear my T:Slim on the waist band of my pants and just pull my pants down and go to the bathroom. My tubing is long enough to allow that. When I’m getting dressed I just keep it attached to me but lay it on the dresser until I have something on that I can clip it to. I’ve also noticed that it is so much more comfortable (like, I forget it’s there) clipped backwards (the face touches me skin) on the front of my pants (just to the side of my belly button).

My feelings about using a pump are so very far in the other direction that I have tried to stop trying to empathize with
     :open_mouth: “I just can’t get over having something attached to me 24/7” :open_mouth:
Instead I try to just not say too much if this perspective happens to pop up.

As I’ve mentioned probably too many times already, I started in December of 1996 with a MiniMed 507. The evening the pump was delivered, I opened up the box, looked through the doc/materials and then decided, “Well, this doesn’t look all that very complicated … so what the heck? Let’s try this puppy out!”

So, I used the rules of thumb to pick a basal rate, filled up a reservoir, slapped on an insertion set and went for it.

When I showed up for my next appointment with my “diabetes educator” a week or so later I suppose I was not completely surprised by her shock when she learned I was already using the pump. But as I said, it really didn’t seem like all that big a deal to me at the time … or, well, like … eh-ver :smirk:

Different strokes for different folks.

2 Likes

I did the same thing, after reading manual and deciding I was lousy at the math formula’s they wanted me to figure out I guessed, hooked up and was on it for a couple weeks before meeting with the pump nurse or my doctor. That was in 2003 still here and on pump. I do have to say that having children pulling on things might be a concern but other than that I got used to the new way of life, patience is key…

One week to decide whether to keep pumping or not? Sounds as if your heart wasn’t in it at all.

Yes, but didn’t you ever (especially initially) wake up and forget it was attached? Or get the tubing caught on a drawer pull/door knob/bed post" Or have to do a quick bit of gymnastics while getting dressed/undressed? I never stressed about it, but I did have to figure out how to manage with something attached.

Related to catching tubing on a drawer pull, wherever possible, I replace the knobs with something that won’t let the tubing catch.

I also never looked back from the first day of pumping. I was fortunate in that my endo’s basic formulaic approach worked pretty much form the beginning, and I have been able to tweak from there.

1 Like

If it can happen (pumping mishaps), I’ve had it happen, including the things you mentioned. Pumping is STILL the bomb.

…and to be fair, the Omnipod, even though it is tubeless and wireless, isn’t without some of these adjustments at the beginning either.

I scraped off more pods than I want to remember on doorframes the first months I was on it. Pulled a few off getting caught on the sleeve joint of a T-shirt when dressing/undressing.

Like a tubed pump, you adjust. You brain learns new habits and carefulness that becomes automatic and unconscious.

What do you mean you pulled them off? Do you have to replace the entire device every time?

It took me three weeks to get my pump programming working properly, and things going well. Eventually I saw the best control I had ever had. My A1c’s are consistently below 6.5 and I never have any dangerous highs or lows. I would never give up on pumping!!!
If you decide to continue pumping at some point in your future, I recommend the books “Pumping Insulin” by John Walsh, and “Think Like A Pancreas” by Gary Scheiner.

Yes, if one comes off you need to put a new Pod on. Not a huge deal, but it happens.