Animas Ping + CGM

So, I am a little confused. If I get the Animas Ping, I have two machines that talk to one another. If I add the CGM then I am adding another machine that doesn’t talk to the other two machines? Or does it? What does it talk to? Wouldn’t it make more sense to have the CGM built in to the ping meter?

As I understand it, the only difference between the Ping and the Animas 2020 is the fact that the Ping Blood Glucose Meter works as a wireless remote with the Ping Pump - so you can bolus directly from your meter without ever having to touch your pump. I decided to go with the 2020; it’s a bit smaller than the Ping and I didn’t figure having the remote BG meter was much of an advantage to me. As of yet, Animas doesn’t have any CGMS technology (though I’ve been told they’re working towards this in a couple years).

I love having the remote. . . but then I am the one bolusing an active 8 year old. She sometimes does it but usually I am the one doing it. From there I can also see all my settings on the pump and watch trends. Yes if we add a cgms then we have another remote object and another site with a transmitter. So essentially she could have 3 devices hanging from her waist - but we have not started looking into cgms’ing yet.

So, maybe if there is a pump designer out there listening a suggestion would be to work on combining these things into one remote object and one pump. I’m not even asking for just one object doing everything. I just want to keep the things I have to lug around to a minimum. You would think with all of the cell phone and iPod techies out there we could manage something super small and advanced for diabetics, too!

I think I understand the pump/ping/cgm stuff now. I was just in denial that there could possibly be three to four machines that you would need in order to obtain that level of control. Or maybe just wishful thinking. Heres to future developements.

Here is what i have been told by Animas and what i have read about…The new One Touch Ping will be compatable with the Dexcom Seven Plus CGM. This new CGM was just launched by Dexcom a few weeks ago. The transmitter on that CGM system is insulin-pump ready when the new Animas Pump launces. So now we are just waiting for Animas to launch their new pump. I have no idea what it will be like but i do know that the CGM readings will be sent to the One Touch Ping meter-remote. There is a place on the Meter-remote for a little chip in which in can communicate with the CGM transmitter. Its a little tab on the side of the meter-remote. Once Animas releases this chip the One Touch PIng and Dexcom Seven Plus CGM will be able to “talk” to each other! So now we just have to wait on Animas! And as far as i know the Animas 2020 will NOT be compatible with the CGM because it does not have the meter remote

I agree with the info Brian has shared. That is exactly what I have been told by sources inside Animas. The timing i have been told only states, “Sometime later this year . . .”.

That sounds great. I’m switching over from the Deltec to the ping now. I have the Dexcom 7 but not switching over to the 7+ b/c I’m going to wait. I haven’t used mine in awhile and it started getting on my nerves. I think the remote would be sort of nice b/c you can tuck the pump away and have your meter in your purse or wherever like you do anyway
Sandy

Denise

I do not know if a new pump will be issued or not but my guess is that it would not be because current Ping users have everything they need for when the chip for the remote does come out. And i would assume that you would have to buy the dexcom separately if you wanted the CGM system.

I just had my training for my Dexcom 7+ and she said that by the end of this year, the Ping and Dex will be integrated. The latest will be by early next year. :smiley:

If this chip will allow the data from the DexCom to go to the meter for the Ping that would mean you would have to have your meter within 5 feet of you (or at most 9 feet which is how far the pump and the meter can be from one another) in order to see what your CGMS does. Otherwise it would be like being away from the DexCom reciever now, no data! This doesn’t make alot of sense, who wants to wear their glucose meter on them to see their trends? The whole point is to get rid of a piece of hardware. I tried to get more info out of a DexCom trainer yesterday and she was tight lipped about the whole thing. I’m thinking we will have to upgrade our pumps for this setup to be like Minimed’s where all you need is your pump and sensor attached to you to see your CGMS info.

I can’t wait for integration, I will gladly pay for an upgrade on my pump…

FWIW, I talked with my Animas sales rep recently about adding CGM capability to the Ping system. She told me that due to engineering issues integrating 2 radios for wireless communications, CGM will not be added into the Ping system, but will be introduced as a separate product that offers a pump with CGM features without a wireless meter remote for pump control. I was very disappointed when I heard that.

So this means that the Dexcom and the Animas will not be talking to each other? :frowning:

it there any update on when the Animas + Dexcom will come out? (Not talking about the AP here… just the basic combo)

I just did the training on my Dexcom 7 and the rep said that it will be some time this year! So, hopefully that will come true! I love the Dexcom so far! It is very interesting to see my trends instead of just numbers.
j.

I heard that they were redesigning the system… apparently the people trialing it didn’t like what they did the first time around.

Honestly I will be shocked if we see it this year… I think next year is more realistic. Same with Omnipod’s integration.

I talked to the Animas Rep yesterday at the JDRF Retreat in St Louis. He told me they expect to intergrate the Dexcom Seven into the Animas Ping within 6 months or so. He showed me the large Dexcom meter and said - now imagine all this on the Ping. He said as it looked now that when this happens people will be able to upgrade their Ping to include the new Dexcom system for a few hundred dollars - the number he threw out was about $225.00. if anyone wanted that feature.
I think having a screen that can show trends up and down a few hours ahead etc and having an alarm that can sound for lows or highs would be nice to have.
Hope he is right on the timeframe. That would be nice to have.

Hello to all and as they say I think it’s HAPPY PUMPING!, I am new to this website and I have been using syringes for 24 years and my A1C is in the high 8"s so my endo has recommended using a pump. I have chosen the Ping as it is called here and I have some questions. I figure it would be better to tweak the brains of those who are on the front line of this product.

!.How do you take a bath or shower with the pump? In other words if you have to keep the tubing and canula on for 3 days can it get wet. Where do you place the pump when swimming with it. I know its water proof but if I am skinny dipping how does anyone keep it on?

2.Can you program the meter to basal the pump for you, go to work and leave the meter at home?

3.Does anyone know of a pump with a built in cgm or word of one coming soon. A pump that at the same time as providing you with insulin it is reading your glucose as well? I could hold off I think on the ping pump if one of these will be available soon.

4.I have heard of insulin pumps potentially putting people in harm by malfunctioning and over dosing them. Does anyone have any experience with this or know of it happening to someone they know?

I know some of these questions have been ask before and I could find out from the animas rep. who I have to meet on March 1 but I wanted to get my feet wet here and get some ideas and info. Thanks to all and be blessed.

1. You can disconnect from the pump while showering. the infusion set will not be affected. For skinny dipping either disconnect, or wedge it between your cheeks :). for swimming i usually disconnect. I won’t be needing insulin while exercising.
  2. YOu program the pump, not the meter for your basals. The pump will continue to deliver regardless of where the meter is.
  3. Animas and Dexcom are talking. We’ll have to wait to see what them come up with. See previous posts
  4. Pumps are programable so a maximum dose/hour cannot be exceeded. I’m not aware of any failures that have resulted in serious overdoses. there are redundant software controls built in. It could happen in theory, but I’ve not heard of it. With MDI’s, the only thing keeping you from ODing is common sense.

Robert, I suggest you meet with a pump trainer to go over all of the functions of your pump! congrat’s!!

I like your sense of humor David (question 1, lmao) and thanks you for the info.