Animas Vibe VS. Medtronic 530G

I am currently on the Animas One Touch Ping. It’s my first insulin pump and I really love it but I am eligible to get a new pump in a couple of months. I was thinking of simply upgrading to the vibe but I am hesitant because I have the Dexcom G4 CGM and I am not thrilled with it’s accuracy or the longevity of the sensor. It tends to fail after a few days or become loose. I wish it would last three weeks like many people say online! I would go for the Medtronic 530G with the shut off for hypos but apparently the Medtronic sensor is not as accurate when compared to Dexcom. Can anybody give me some feedback on the 530G and the accuracy of the sensor? What about the Animas Vibe? Is there anything new with this when compared to the ping besides the integrated CGM? I’d greatly appreciate any feedback!

also interested in an answer to this!

There were many discussions on the Animas Vibe when it first came out, including comparisons to Medtronic pumps.
If you do a search on this site, for Animas Vibe you can find them.

I use Minimed and Dexcom CGMS, but had also considered Animas Vibe and T-Slim in the past year. Reading reviews from others is helpful, and places like Integrated Diabetes and DiabetesMine websites also have helpful information.

If possible, see if you can a hands on demo or trial period, either through your Endo/CDE or sales reps.

I had the Animas One Touch Ping, but I now have the Minimed 530G.
Here are my Pros and Cons for each:

Animas Ping:

• Pros
    The OneTouch Blood Glucose Meter communicates with the pump, so I can check my blood sugar, and use the meter to tell the pump how much to bolus (including carbs), if required. This beats pulling my pump out of a belt holster and entering carbs and starting the bolus.
  • Cons
    No CGM built in, so you must use additional CGM, which may not be integrated with pump software.

Minimed 530G

• Pros
    Integrated CGM with wireless transmitter.
    If CGM indicates glucose readings are too low, the pump sounds an alarm, then suspends insulin delivery if readings continue to drop.

• Cons
    Contour Next blood glucose meter sends glucose readings to pump. Then you must pull out your pump from your belt holster, purse, pocket, etc. to administer a bolus and calibrate your CGM.
    While CGM accuracy has improved lately, it still isn’t accurate enough to give anything more than a trend.

Are you taping your sensor (e.g. with Opsite Flexfix) and using Skin Tac to help keep it stuck firmly down.? This is ESSENTIAL if you want to extend your sensor life. If you search this site you should find plenty of posts explaining how to do this.