Any onetouch ultrasmart user?

HELLO FRIENDS:

I HAVE A ONE TOUCH ULTRA SMART. I AM USING IT TO LOG MY TEST, FOOD & MEDICATION LOGS. BESIDES FOLLOWING MY DIET & MEDICATION WILL THIS METER BE A USEFULL TOOL OR NOT PLEASE ADD YPUR COMMENTS…

Honestly, it’s going to be as useful as you make it. I’m just now getting back on the wagon with my testing - went for a long while with sporadic testing and realized I was doing myself more harm than good with that (thank you, everyone who commented on my post). I use an Ultrasmart, but I’m not using all the log features available on it. I’m just testing with it, and writing down my results in a day planner - filling out the lines gives me a better sense of having done something. It’s a great meter - but the writing is more fulfilling for some reason.

I worked my way up into using the Ultrasmart for insulin doses or boluses and total carbs as well as blood sugar…
If you can keep up with it, it can be really useful, esp if your going to go on a pump or are on a pump, figuring out your current Total daily dose (if you enter BOTH types of insulin)… and such…for awhile i was just using it for bolus insulin and blood glucose…

As someone said, its only as useful as you make it… but dont be discouraged if you dont enter EVERYTHING… work your way up to it…

I have had mine since 2005, and I love it. Now, do I use all it’s features? No, but I still like it a lot. When I take it to my CDE they can upload the readings on their computer and it give nice charts and graphs.

If you have the cable and not a Mac user, you can create an account on the MiniMed Carelink website and upload your readings there. They have some neat graphs to help with trending analysis.

There are also other options:

If you have a Smart Phone, there are apps that also keep track of all that stuff, Glucose, Carbs, Insulin, Exercise, etc. They have some tracking options for trending.

As the others have said, its only as good as you make it. YDMV

It is a TOOL. You are the crafts person using the tool. I use one in my pump backup bag. Only down side is male patients don’t have “menses” and you cannot edit the health conditions. <<GRIN>>.

If you promise not to laugh, i used that tag as a spare tag for basically user error/retest… Wish the meter would let you mark readings that you knew were off due to hands/not a true fill/etc… and drop them from the tag list

Another reason to be able to edit the “health conditions” to one you are describing like - “exclude” or “poor test”.

I bought the software with the cable but my laptop does not have the serial connector i need the usb …

You may be able to find a serial to USB at a local computer shop for about 6-10 dollars.

I’ve been using one since '07 and find it very useful. I use the food feature the most to help keep up with carb intake.

I lone the graph features.

I had and used one up until I got a One Touch Ping Meter. I loved it and it was useful. i used all the settings and really found them useful. took a bit to learn how to use it but once, i did, wow! helped me a lot.

I used one until a week ago when it gave up the ghost. It wasn't turning on when I put the strip in nor would it bring up the logbook screen. I loved that meter because of the ability to enter the insulin dosage! Now I'm researching for a new meter. Temporarily, I am using the UltraMini but I sure do miss the bells and whistles!!!

I, in particular, like the graphs. The blood samples it requires I don't think are that bad...it's a prob when my fingers are cold. For THAT reason, I have another meter for winter/outside....but it doesn't have the graphs.