Anyone eat Oatmeal?

HA that’s true, I didn’t really think of it that way. Sometimes I feel like my blood sugars make me think about food in a way that makes absolutely no sense.

Also…brb, gonna go find that pancake recipe!

1 Like

I do everyday and have done that (95% of the time) for the past 2 years. I bolus 3 unit after 1/2 cup of oatmeal. It makes me feel and look muscular. I leaned that the fiber soaks fat, so…

Do you know the brand for that?

I started using Smylin last Summer to help with spiking after I eat. I usually do not eat oatmeal often enough to have come to a conclusion on whether the Symlin helps. Now that the topic has been brought up I will do an experiment and see how high I go after eating oatmeal. What I have noticed about people who eat oatmeal (for medical reasons) is that they doctor it with coconut, chocolate chips, brown suger, cream, raisens, etc… to make it taste okay. I agree that something like eggs is much easier to dose for in the morning for breakfast.

I looked at every oatmeal on the shelf and tried a few. I used to eat Quaker High Fiber but still got too much of a spike. I’m a lot more stable in the morning on lchf and have more carbs in the evening with vegetables that grow above ground, 20-30+ grams/day.

After giving up oatmeal for several years, I am back eating it almost every day. I don’t cook it in milk anymore and I do miss how delicious that was. I am unable to pre-bolus my breakfast as far ahead as some people do ( I go too low), but I do take a small bolus when I get out of bed in the morning. I then bolus for breakfast 10-15 minutes ahead of time. I reduce the bolus recommended by carb count based on my current BG and the IOB from the wake-up bolus.

I eat a combo of Quaker Oats Old Fashioned Oats and Steel Cut Oatmeal cooked in water. Total of 40g weight and a bit more water than recipe recommends. No salt or anything. The bland taste definitely grows on you.

I always walk the dog 2-3 miles immediately after breakfast. If I am not going to be able to walk the dog, I have a lower carb breakfast. Maybe a piece of p-nut butter toast or Greek yogurt and berries.

With this regimen, my BG does not spike 9 out of 10 days. In fact I usually end up low mid-morning. I have my semi-annual endo appt later this week and she is definitely going to be on my case about mid-morning lows.

My son eats oatmeal for breakfast pretty much every day. What I’ve found is that steel cut oats seem to be better than rolled oats, and that the big difference is if I add about 3 TBSP of flax meal to the mix. One time I tried adding a small amount of whipping cream and mixing it in well, then cooling it, and that also seemed to help, though one time isn’t enough.
My theory is that the extra fiber slows digestion just to the point that the insulin can catch up with his spike. If I don’t add the flax or am lazy and make the rolled oats, his BG is at 370+ for 3 hours. Basically, it’s a math problem: only 20 percent of the insulin on board is active in the first hour, so if he digests more than about 40 to 50 percent in the first hour, there’s no way to keep him within range, short of giving him tiny portions every five minutes.
Another thing I noticed, though, is that high protein or fat foods also seem to make his BG spike way more than people say they should. I’ve given him 0 carb meals that left him in the 300’s for hours…so I’ve stopped avoiding carbs as they seem more straightforward to bolus for.

I agree with your comment about protein and fat also causing BG rise. After 20 + years I have finally got my Diabetes educator and Doctor to agree and let me add a bolus for my heavy on protein meals.

No offense intended, but I continue to not understand posts like this that contain phrases like “my doctor won’t let me do …”

It’s your body and you should do what you need to do with your insulin dosing (if you truly understand what you are doing)! If you are afraid of your doctor disapproving, simply call the doctor’s office and tell staff to leave your doctor a message stating that you are changing ________________ because this is more effective with keeping your BG in range.

1 Like

rgcainmd, no offense taken and I do agree with you. Thanks!

1 Like