Anyone Using the Diabetes Etiquette Cards from BDI in classes or instruction?

I am on the Board of Directors at the Behavioral Diabetes Research Institute here in San Diego. We would like to know if any persons or organizations are using our Diabetes Etiquette Cards as a tool in their instruction. We encourage you to use it, it’s not a problem, we just want to know how far it has reached in the months that it has been available.

Please contact me and let me know if you have used it, if your are a diabetes nurse educator or a doctor that gives them out, or a diabetes instructor. Please contribute to this discussion or send me a note, OK?

Here is a link to the card for people who DON’T have diabetes:
https://www.accu-chek.com/documents/resource-center/etiquetteonepag…

This is the one I am talking about! It took a significant effort to develop this. We would like to know how far it has reached and who is using it in an organized way. Thanks for the link! We are hoping there are some organized efforts that we can find that are using it as an instructional or educational tool, either for Type 1s or their families.

I’ve never heard about this. I’m in indianapolis and both my endocrinologist and my Diabetes Education Center are located at Indiana University Hospital here in Indy. Does that information help you?

Seems to me like this could be helpful for type 2’s and their families also. Type 2’s have diabetes too.

YES! Thank you! This device works for Type 2s as well! Use the link in the comment above and you can see what it is all about. The “card” is easily downloadable from the BDI website.

I have read these cards on the internet. But, I can’t seem to get my family to read them. I tried leaving it out on the table hoping someone would pick it up and read it.

YES! Please show them the website (look in the first comment above) and/or print out a copy of the “card” and show it to them. This has been well researched and says a lot of things we diabetics wish could be said to everyone who ever asks, “Are you sure you should be eating that?”

What some people have done is to get several, put them in their breast pocket and hand one to anyone who asks an inappropriate question. If people are really well-meaning, they will take it to heart and ask you how they can appropriately show their concern.

I appreciate the card - almost every situation described on there, has happened to me - but while it concentrates on the day-to-day good things it doesn’t begin to address some bigger issues that happen less often but are perhaps more important:

A: Getting time off from work or school to go see the doc is really important. But it’s frowned on to go make the every-3-months visits for bloodwork and doctor’s appointment, not to mention the yearly visits to eye doctors etc.

B: Taking breaks (from work, or from family, etc.) to check my bg and correct hypos is very important. It only takes a couple of minutes. But I don’t want to end up in the ER with a hypo again. You don’t want me to either.

C: It is a chronic disease, and there is no cure. You might have read about a cure, or know someone who says they have been cured, but they were wrong. And don’t expect me to invent the cure myself.

D: Correcting a hypo is not “cheating”.

"Correcting a hypo is not “cheating”

That’s my favorite!!! Sometimes,I use a hypo as an opportunety to eat a delicious snack and then all eyes are upon me! lol

Thank you for your response! The card was developed by talking to (listening to) lots of diabetics about the questions and comments that bother them the most. There is so much ignorance about diabetes out there. Our hope at BDI is to help diabetics deal with some of that, through tools like the Etiquette card.

I’ve only seen these “messages” on Diabetes Communities for the last 8 years.

***Congratulations on your 50th year with Diabetes Chris!!!***

Thank you! I have had a kidney transplant, so I take anti-rejection drugs. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that I could get an islet cell transplant someday and not have diabetes anymore!

Glad to hear that you were able to get a kidney transplant. Definitely and Good Luck to you on the islet cell transplant. There have been People with the pancreas/kidney transplant also who seem to be doing Well. Wonderful to hear.

I’ve been on anti-rejection drugs plus others for a long time also but for aniother disease. My tests come back Good and my organs are all doing Well(Thank God and Touch wood).