Apple Cider Vinegar

I’d read a lot of good things about Apple Cider Vinegar. I’ve also had some broad minor stomach issues over the past year so thought I’d try having a glass of water with my usual breakfast but with two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.

Much to my surprise I found that this drastically increased my blood sugar levels. I can’t definitively say it was the apple cider vinegar at this point but it would seem that way, as nothing in my routine really changed.

Does anyone else here use Apple Cider Vinegar, and if yes have you noticed anything similar? Do you Bolus for this?

Oddly and ironically, I tried the same glass of apple cider vinegar with water today at lunch (for the first time) and also noticed my bg rise higher than I would have expected. However, I also did a set change around the same time, so I’m not ready to draw any conclusions at this point.

Interesting. I may trial using it again tonight or tomorrow and see what happens.

I personally didn’t think there was any carbohydrates in Apple Cider Vinegar, but I also know other factors from food can cause my blood glucose to rise.

I drink 12 gallons a day usually. I am hopeful my new teeth and colostomy bag will be ready soon

1 Like

Some apple cider vinegar has honey in it, which would raise blood sugar (depending on how much you have).

@Phil, you will be a smart Senior with your new teeth and bag! Do we get a photo? LOL

Of course I will send a picture, but it may be delayed, my wife says that unless I cut back on the apple cider vinegar she will not let me get either. So I did the only responsible thing,

I doubled down

My suggestion, there may be a shortage soon, but stock or plant trees.

Ever tried the capsules instead?

Never tried the capsules. I tried some again last night the rise wasn’t as big but certainly it did cause a rise from prior to. I guess sometimes it’s difficult to say for sure if that wasn’t caused by some other factor though.

I might just avoid it for the time being.

quick question Donman, you get a rise that never drops back to target?

I probably haven’t observed this enough to make a proper comment on this sorry @Don4. In the morning, I had waited 2 hours after my morning Bolus which for me is when I normally see the insulin stop really doing anything and that was when it was higher than I thought it should be. Specifically it had gone from 5.7 pre-breakfast to 9.4 two hours after. There was probably some instance of this being caused by what I eat but I never see a spike like that after Breakfast.

When I got home my blood glucose was 4.7. I had another glass this time with only one tablespoon and in like an hour it had gone up to 5.7, admittedly it’s hard to say if that was just general variations and so forth but also I then ate dinner and my Post dinner reading seemed to be higher than I would expect.

Probably not enough data to make any conclusive statements about its impact on my blood glucose levels.

I ask because I wonder if the ACV made you digest food faster and thus you got more of a spike but if that were the case, your bolus should still have returned you to normal (eventually).

I did actually wonder if that was the case. In fact, I usually do a dual bolus. One with my meal and one two hours after to cover Protein, so I wonder if somehow it just made the protein digest a lot quicker and I didn’t have enough insulin to cover that rise.

Don Instead of 2 tablespoons of ACV try only 1 tablespoon in 8 ounces of water…that should not have any effect on your Blood Sugars …Some ACV’s can have honey in them so be sure you are buying ACV with JUST ACV as the only ingredient…Be sure to read the label too should say: Carbohydrate 0 and sugar 0…Good luck.

1 Like

Do you take ACV regularly @weaver3? If so, do you find it helps with your health or overwall well being?

Yes I take it at times. ACV is very good at dissolving Gall Stones, and helping alleviate Acid reflux. I suffered from both especially Gall Stones. Taking ACV in 8 ounces of water twice daily dissolved my gall stones…so yes it has been a huge help in my over all health and well being…

1 Like